[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Arrogance in Coaching

gilthorp

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How arrogant must you be to do what New England did tonight? Seriously?

The only other pompous coach who would have gone for it like that is the big dough boy at Notre Dame.

Amazing.

That call was so ballsy it had pubic hair all over it.

How arrogant must you be to do what New England did tonight? Seriously?

The only other pompous coach who would have gone for it like that is the big dough boy at Notre Dame.

Amazing.

I actually think it was the opposite. He knew his defense was tired and most likely wasn't going to be able to stop Manning anyway.

Obviously, I disagree. You punt there not 99.9% of the time, you punt there 100% of the time. Give the long field. You don't give a Future Hall of Famer 30 yards to go. Insane. He did it because he is arrogant and said "I'll make the two yards". He and Doughboy Weis can have each other.

I agree ,,, you punt there 100% of the time and give them the long field and you MAKE THEM WIN THE GAME ,, don' hand it to them ,,,

If the defense was tired ,,, so if you DONT make it ,,, you put your tired defense on the field with a SHORT FIELD ,,,, that's BULL ,,, ARROGANCE loss the game!

I have never seen a call like that in all my years of NFL football watching. That has to go down as the worst call in history. You punt and make Manning go 80 or so yards to win period. The way Manning was throwing picks anything could happen. But to give them the ball on your own 28 is stupid just plain stupid.

He told his D he doesn't believe in them. He told his team we can't stop Manning. He told the Colts, we have no respect for you at all.

I am glad he did it but what a bone head call.

I don't know if agree or not with his decision, but I understand it. 4th and 2 or less are converted at or above 50% of the time. You have your own HOF QB and you're asking him to get 2 yards, which, to that point in the game, had to seem pretty damn doable. If you convert, you win. If you don't, the other team still needs a TD to win the game so you do have a chance to stop them and win anyway. Punting gains field position, but that's assuming the punt isn't blocked or their isn't a good return. Punting could have ended with them in the exact same position anyway (less likely, I admit, but still in the possibility matrix).

Manning had already scored 14 points in that quarter, so I think Bill was happy to flip the proverbial coin to win the game outright. How many people watching the game were betting on Brady not gaining 2 yards?

I don't know if agree or not with his decision, but I understand it. 4th and 2 or less are converted at or above 50% of the time. You have your own HOF QB and you're asking him to get 2 yards, which, to that point in the game, had to seem pretty damn doable. If you convert, you win. If you don't, the other team still needs a TD to win the game so you do have a chance to stop them and win anyway. Punting gains field position, but that's assuming the punt isn't blocked or their isn't a good return. Punting could have ended with them in the exact same position anyway (less likely, I admit, but still in the possibility matrix).

Manning had already scored 14 points in that quarter, so I think Bill was happy to flip the proverbial coin to win the game outright. How many people watching the game were betting on Brady not gaining 2 yards?

you can try and put your homer spin on that all you want....you PUNT that ball...or try to draw them offsides and then punt it....it was NOT a smart play to go for it....you quote 50% as a conversion rate...that means that 50% of the time you are giving the opposition a short field...i would like to know the % for teams driving 70+ yards for a TD in less than 2 mins....willing to guess it is much lower than 50%

you can try and put your homer spin on that all you want....you PUNT that ball...or try to draw them offsides and then punt it....it was NOT a smart play to go for it....you quote 50% as a conversion rate...that means that 50% of the time you are giving the opposition a short field...i would like to know the % for teams driving 70+ yards for a TD in less than 2 mins....willing to guess it is much lower than 50%

I'm a Niners fan, so not sure what the heck you are talking about homerism for. I'm just playing devil's advocate on what everyone is saying is a terrible decision. Had they converted, people would say 'Wow that was controversial, he never should have done it... but WOW HE'S SUCH A GENIUS AND BRADY IS THE CLUTCHEST QB EVAR!~!@@!~~~!~!!!!' He failed, so now he's an idiot... and that is exactly why most of the time coaches are conservative to a fault. Everyone talks about challenging his defense, but I frankly don't see why there's so much outrage over him challenging his #2 ranked offense and widely acclaimed best clutch QB ever to pick up 2 yards in crunch time.

If you want the fastest link I could find to try and explain the percentages, here it is:

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2009/11/be...n-vs-colts.html

Again, the Colts are certainly an above league average offense so it would bump their expectation to score from that spot on the field. On the other side, the Patriots are an above league average offense, so they would likely have a better chance to convert the 4th down. IIRC the Patriots have been VERY good at converting fourth downs over the last 3 years or so.

Even though it didn't work out I love the choice to go for it, but I didn't like the play they called at all. I think a lot of people are looking at this all wrong. With the game on the line I'd want my very best player to have the ball. To me, Brady was moving the ball at will on that soft Colts Secondary and Peyton was carving up that gutted Pats D. Either way, Bill gave the ball to his best player to win the game and Brady came up short. Not that it wasn't the worst play call ever to choose from, because it was. I like the choice to go for it.

Even though it didn't work out I love the choice to go for it, but I didn't like the play they called at all. I think a lot of people are looking at this all wrong. With the game on the line I'd want my very best player to have the ball. To me, Brady was moving the ball at will on that soft Colts Secondary and Peyton was carving up that gutted Pats D. Either way, Bill gave the ball to his best player to win the game and Brady came up short. Not that it wasn't the worst play call ever to choose from, because it was. I like the choice to go for it.

I understand this train of thinking. But Bill Belichek arrogant? Really? :wacko:

Obviously, I disagree. You punt there not 99.9% of the time, you punt there 100% of the time. Give the long field. You don't give a Future Hall of Famer 30 yards to go. Insane. He did it because he is arrogant and said "I'll make the two yards". He and Doughboy Weis can have each other.

:wacko:

He wasn't giving them anything...Faulk catches the ball cleanly, game over.

Some facts: on 4th and 2 in Brady's career, the Pats are 76% efficient. On a short field (30 ayrds or less), Manning fails to get a TD 13% of the time.

Coupled, that meant there was an 89% chance the Pats win the game.

Had they punted, and say Indy got the ball at their own 30 with over twom minutes left, waht do you think Manning's chanced were? 40%? 50%?

Clearly, it wasn't the bonehead move many are making it out to be. And it certainly had nothing to do with arrogance.

:wacko:

He wasn't giving them anything...Faulk catches the ball cleanly, game over.

Some facts: on 4th and 2 in Brady's career, the Pats are 76% efficient. On a short field (30 ayrds or less), Manning fails to get a TD 13% of the time.

Coupled, that meant there was an 89% chance the Pats win the game.

Had they punted, and say Indy got the ball at their own 30 with over twom minutes left, waht do you think Manning's chanced were? 40%? 50%?

Clearly, it wasn't the bonehead move many are making it out to be. And it certainly had nothing to do with arrogance.

Nope. Bad math there.