[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

An observation about NE's going for it last night

Cunning Runt

ok, here is your, OP, answer(s)

in 4 separate interviews i listened to last night and today (2 by Brady and 2 by BB) they both said,

in all 4 interviews, that they decided to go for it on 4th down BEFORE the 3rd down play,

if they didn't make it on 3rd down.

BB kept hammering home that he felt it was the best chance to win the game. Make one play,

gain 2 yards and run out all or almost all of the clock. It had nothing to do with trusting his D.

Watching him for all these years, i believe this. Call me naive, but i do believe he was focused on this

play, at this time, to win the game. Right or wrong, nothing more nothing less.

As far as the time out...they BOTH said last night and today, that it was a 'personnel' mix up

that caused them to call the time out....meaning the punt team was coming on and the offense was moving off the field.

Bill took responsibility for this.

So, put those two things together and you come up with the question,

If they decided BEFORE 3rd down that they were going for it on 4th down, why wasn't the punt team/offense on the same page? Why the confusion that caused them to burn a time out?

That I didn't hear an answer for. I only assume it was poor communication between the coaches.

Asked if he had a timeout would he have challenged the spot, BB said absolutely.

All in all, I see the reasoning of the call. It didn't work.

I would have liked to see Manning drive 60/70 yards in less than 2 min with 1 timeout,

which he is more than capable of doing, and at least earn the victory.

The real problem(s) for me was the 3rd down play before the now infamous 4th down play.

AND the series before this one, that i felt the Patriots played it safe and settled for the FG.

Thats where the trouble started......

I have to believe if you are going for it on fourth down no matter what, you run the ball on third down. I don't believe that they already had their mind made up, I don't care what they said today. Brady and the offense was coming off the field, and somebody signaled them to stay. I saw them heading off and the punt team heading on. Revisionist history, IMO.

ok, here is your, OP, answer(s)

in 4 separate interviews i listened to last night and today (2 by Brady and 2 by BB) they both said,

in all 4 interviews, that they decided to go for it on 4th down BEFORE the 3rd down play,

if they didn't make it on 3rd down.

I call BS. I've seen the highlights a dozen times today. As Hook mentioned, Brady is clearly walking off the field reaching up and unsnapping his chin strap when he all of the sudden stops abruptly and his eyes get a little wider when he realizes they are being signaled to stay on the field, and he turns back around and heads back out. No way was this planned out before the 3rd down play. Maybe by Billechek, but it seems clear nobody else on the team was aware of it, including Brady.

Brady said what i posted above after the game last night

and today...i know that doesn't make a big dif to what you are saying

but it's the truth ....having decided to go for it on 4th before the 3rd down play

imo, only makes them look like they botched the whole thing even worse, and lost

the timeout.

agree, why they didnt run the ball on 3rd down is beyond me and infuriating.

the whole thing smelled of loss of poise and Manning being in his head...

as much as i hate to say that....and you know it kills me to say that, but thats

how i see it....

It had nothing to do with trusting his D.

Yeah right. If they thought they could stop Manning and co, it's an easy decision. Actually it should've been an easy decision anyway. Manning wasn't infallible (for ex both of those picks were horribly thrown balls) and going for it in that situation was incredibly stoopid.

GB it. Thank you BB, you da man :wacko:

Edited by BeeR

Yeah right. If they thought they could stop Manning and co, it's an easy decision. Actually it should've been an easy decision anyway. Manning wasn't infallible (for ex both of those picks were horribly thrown balls) and going for it in that situation was incredibly stoopid.

GB it. Thank you BB, you da man :wacko:

look, i don't want to run this thread off topic, but.

you're not getting it. BB was focused on this one play, make it and win the game.

leave it at that.

You can drag all kinds of what if's or should haves. leave it at, make the play/win the game.

it's simple.

I call BS. I've seen the highlights a dozen times today. As Hook mentioned, Brady is clearly walking off the field reaching up and unsnapping his chin strap when he all of the sudden stops abruptly and his eyes get a little wider when he realizes they are being signaled to stay on the field, and he turns back around and heads back out. No way was this planned out before the 3rd down play. Maybe by Billechek, but it seems clear nobody else on the team was aware of it, including Brady.

absolutely correct. I just watched it again. Brady's lying if he said he knew they were going for it on fourth down prior to the third down play.

i will go back and look at it again,

but from memory, i think Brady called that timeout

from the huddle, then walked over toward the sideline....

not unusual for a player/qb to un-snap their strap in that situation.

nope. the time-out came after that

i will go back and look at it again,

but from memory, i think Brady called that timeout

from the huddle, then walked over toward the sideline....

not unusual for a player/qb to un-snap their strap in that situation.

yeh, i just watched it again....i was thinking of another play.

camera shows Brady walking off and starting to unsnap, then abruptly turn

and go back to the field......once back on the field, the play clock is running down

and then he calls the timeout.

then a discussion takes place, BB says something to one of the coaches,

i think the special teams coach, can't see which coach

then they discuss, what i think is, what play they will run....

This was BB's decision. There is a camera view of Brady's face when he's coming off the field, and his expression changes, in shock really. He then turns around and motions for the offense to stay out. Then they call the time out to talk it over. At that point, I think the decision was made and what they're discussing is what to call, not if to go for it. At that point, yeah, I'm sure BB wanted to run something Brady also thought they could convert, so he had a say in play selection.

This is BB's F-up to live with.

:wacko: