[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

bravo unions!

dmarc117

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/plastics.conv....2.1317642.html

Society of the Plastics Industry President and Chief Executive Officer Bill Carteaux said the decision boiled down to cost.

"At the end of the day, when I talked to the folks in Chicago, it really came down to one major issue… and that's the cost," he said.

Plastics Showcase officials the organization may save $20 million by moving to Orlando.

Bills for workers at McCormick Place are far higher than those in Orlando, since McCormick Place workers are unionized, while workers at the Orlando's Orange County Convention Center are not.

This is not the first convention that has been driven out of Chicago by high costs. Healthcare Information and Management Systems decided its first convention in Chicago this year would also be its last, after the cost of unionized McCormick Place electricians drove the bill from $40,000 to $240,000.

In that instance, McPier was ordering one particular union to put two or three electricians on a job that only required one, driving costs up.

:wacko::D:D

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well sure unions cost more, because they have to figure in their donation to the Democrats. This shouldn't be surprising. Look at the states suffering the hardest, the majority of them have a large union presence and voted were blue states last year.

I have fought this union/anti-union crap around here for too long. At least around here, there is no middle of the road, and I'm sorry to say this argument is as bad or worse than the left vs right/ dem vs rep argument.

Anti-union people throw out their chest and say "Unions have no purpose anymore!". If you believe that and sleep well at night FINE!

All I can say is unions are as American as American can be. It defined us then and still defines us in the 1st world. The word is FREEDOM to choose!

If they never existed, all of us would be much worse off (read your history).

Unions built this country and deserve a place in it. Then, now, and in the future. Don't agree with that...FINE!

I won't comment anymore on this topic. It's fruitless and doesn't deserve the wear and tear on my fingers typing a reply.

Carry on and peace.

rr26

Ford had unions and didn't need a bailout. I think there may have been other factors at play.

Ford got lucky that their major debt payment was 6 months after GM and Chrysler's. When it became evident that GM and Chrysler were going to fail, Fords business picked up substantially. There was some serious talk that Ford was going to have to be bailed out as well, but the failure of the other US companies helped to keep them afloat. It also gave them more bargaining power with the UAW.

We were in DC for a convention. When a couple of people began to put up their booths, they broke out the power tools. The Union running the expo hall quickly arrived on the scene and informed them that the Union workers were the only one's that would be running any equipment in the building and that they needed to put down their power tools and hire union workers to complete the booth assembly. Well, of course the guys disagreed and made a point to state that the union goons had not ever put up similar booths and would surely screw it up (self storage industry show, the booths in question we're door companies putting up their display booths). Well, the union cut the power to the booths in question so that no power tools could be run and then went back over and told the people that they would not be getting their power back on until they hired 3 union workers, for $85 an hour for a minimum of 6 hours.... well, it takes about 2 hours for three people to put the booth up... Of course they had to capitulate. When the Union morons began assembling the booth, they quickly screwed up a couple of panels and we're intalling door tracks upside down... The employees of the company who's booth it was finally had to make a deal w. the Union boss on site that they would employ the union workers but would be allowed to assemble the booth themselves.

When we began to set up our booth, that contains lights and a computer and computer monitor... We we're quickly informed by union reps that we needed to hire a union electrician to set up the electrical equipment (I was plugging in an extension cord at the time which I am evidently not allowed to do... But y the time that they got back we had everything set up... it was not a pretty sight. We were told in no uncertain terms that if we did not hire Union electricians to unplug our electronics that we would not be welcomed back in the exhibit hall again... Guess I'm not going to exhibit at the Gaylord in DC anymore....

Unions have long outlived their useful life in many indistries and have become extortion artists. The bosses are no better than the corrupt CEO's that many hold in such low esteem and in my opinion are even more crooked as they will purposely put people out of work simply to line their own pockets.

ETA:

This is another good union story, really heart warming.

http://www.mcall.com/news/all-a8_5scout.70...0,6238384.story

Edited by SEC=UGA

Well sure unions cost more, because they have to figure in their donation to the Democrats. This shouldn't be surprising. Look at the states suffering the hardest, the majority of them have a large union presence and voted were blue states last year.

With States in double digit unemployment, 8 are blue and 7 are red. One of the blue states is North Carolina which is normally red.

If what you said is true, then why isn't the high unemployment in only blue states?

Union work rules are another issue.

The extra labor expense of putting on a show in Chicago is often due to union rules that require certain levels of staffing and don't permit exhibitors to perform many of the tasks required to build exhibits.

"A right-to-work state, like Florida, allows us to best mimic what our exhibitors are used to on an international basis," said Gene Sanders, senior vice president for trade shows for the association. In overseas shows, exhibitors "typically are able to assemble their own equipment and do a lot of their own work."

:wacko:

All I can say is unions are as American as American can be. It defined us then and still defines us in the 1st world. The word is FREEDOM to choose!

rr26

RR, I'm not trying to pick a fight, but you are just wrong here. You don't have freedom to choose where unions are entrenched. You either join the union or you don't work. In many cases people don't have freedom to choose union or non-union labor as cities have made deals with unions that require union labor. If anything the unions do away with the FREEDOM to choose.

RR, I'm not trying to pick a fight, but you are just wrong here. You don't have freedom to choose where unions are entrenched. You either join the union or you don't work. In many cases people don't have freedom to choose union or non-union labor as cities have made deals with unions that require union labor. If anything the unions do away with the FREEDOM to choose.

you don't have to join a teachers union.

you don't have to join a teachers union.

If teachers didn't have unions back in the sixties and seventies-the teacher salaries would still be low-particularly for college graduates. If a teacher has 25 students in a class, at $5 an hour(minimum babysitting fees)that would be $125 an hour. Teachers do much more than baby sit but I can guarantee that teachers don't get $800 a day(for a six hour day)-which isn't close to the # of hours a teacher puts in. Try it sometime!!!

If teachers didn't have unions back in the sixties and seventies-the teacher salaries would still be low-particularly for college graduates. If a teacher has 25 students in a class, at $5 an hour(minimum babysitting fees)that would be $125 an hour. Teachers do much more than baby sit but I can guarantee that teachers don't get $800 a day(for a six hour day)-which isn't close to the # of hours a teacher puts in. Try it sometime!!!

I do it everyday that school is in session. and i am in the teachers union. all i was saying is that you do not have to be in the union to be a teacher.

I do it everyday that school is in session. and i am in the teachers union. all i was saying is that you do not have to be in the union to be a teacher.

My bad! I was a teacher and a principal for thirty years and it is irritating to see some comments in this thread. Keep up the good work!

My bad! I was a teacher and a principal for thirty years and it is irritating to see some comments in this thread. Keep up the good work!

Maybe I shouldn't be speaking for some of the others that have posted irritating comments in this thread, but it's not the individual members of the union that some people have a problem with... rather it's the corruption and coercion that of the unions as a whole.

Try doing construction work in a major metro area like NY or Chicago without joining a union.

But you're in Texas, where there isn't much of union presence at all. You have exercised your choice. Why do you feel compelled to force your choice on people who choose to live elsewhere?

I have fought this union/anti-union crap around here for too long. At least around here, there is no middle of the road, and I'm sorry to say this argument is as bad or worse than the left vs right/ dem vs rep argument.

Anti-union people throw out their chest and say "Unions have no purpose anymore!". If you believe that and sleep well at night FINE!

If they never existed, all of us would be much worse off (read your history).

Unions built this country and deserve a place in it. Then, now, and in the future. Don't agree with that...FINE!

I won't comment anymore on this topic. It's fruitless and doesn't deserve the wear and tear on my fingers typing a reply.

Carry on and peace.

rr26

:wacko::D :D :D :D :D