[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pray for our President

muck

Why do the people who actually believe in hell seem to do the stuff that I was taught would land you there?

They're saved and atone for their sins... That and I think if you believe in Christ that is good enough to keep you out of hell, or something like that.

My dad always says, if someone tells you they are "born again" you better hold on to your wallet around them (just passing on some sound advice that pans out about 90% of the time in my experience).

Why do the people who actually believe in hell seem to do the stuff that I was taught would land you there?

Because we are imperfect creatures. Why does a smoker continue to smoke when they know the end result is likely a painful death. Why do the obese continue to eat at buffets? They know it's not good for them, but they have a weakness.

For the record, I was not attempting to insinuate that i thought muck was advocating violence. I think muck is a stand-up guy and would never do such a thing. Apologies to all if I came across that way. I was just attempting to point out that, even if muck was genuinely suggesting that we pray for the president, the inclusion of the scripture reference made it look as thought he was making such a statement tongue-in-cheek.

For the record, I was not attempting to insinuate that i thought muck was advocating violence. I think muck is a stand-up guy and would never do such a thing. Apologies to all if I came across that way. I was just attempting to point out that, even if muck was genuinely suggesting that we pray for the president, the inclusion of the scripture reference made it look as thought he was making such a statement tongue-in-cheek.

Thanks, and for the record, I do pray for the POTUS (and have for 20yrs or so). This time around is no different than it was when GHWB, WJC or GWB were President.

Also, for the record, this struck me as funny, just like the time I told my naive little sister that I wanted her thoughts on Ezekiel 23:20 ... little did I know that she was on her way out the door to her sorority's Bible study where she promptly asked for her friends thoughts without first looking up the scripture herself to see what it said.

ETA: Look up Ezekiel in the NIV, it's much better than the NKJV. :wacko:

Edited by muck

Also, for the record, this struck me as funny, just like the time I told my naive little sister that I wanted her thoughts on Ezekiel 23:20 ... little did I know that she was on her way out the door to her sorority's Bible study where she promptly asked for her friends thoughts without first looking up the scripture herself to see what it said.

:wacko:

http://features.csmonitor.com/politics/200...sinister/?yikes

Biblical anti-Obama slogan: Use of Psalm 109:8 funny or sinister?

Psalms 109:8 says, 'Let his days be few; and let another take his office.' The citation is being passed around the Internet as a rallying cry against President Obama.

There’s a new slogan making its way onto car bumpers and across the Internet. It reads simply: “Pray for Obama: Psalm 109:8”

A nice sentiment?

Maybe not.

The psalm reads, “Let his days be few; and let another take his office.”

Presidential criticism through witty slogans is nothing new. Bumper stickers, t-shirts, and hats with “1/20/09” commemorated President Bush’s last day in office.

But the verse immediately following the psalm referenced is a bit more ominous: “Let his children be fatherless, and his wife a widow.”

The slogan comes at a time of heightened concern about antigovernment anger. Earlier this year, the president’s senior adviser, David Axelrod, said that Tea Parties could lead to something unhealthy. In September, authorities shut down a poll on Facebook asking if President Obama should be killed.

Still, that doesn’t push the Psalms citation into the realm of hate speech, says Chris Hansen, a staff attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).

The use of Psalm 109:8 is ambiguous as to whether its users are calling for the President to serve “only one term, or less than one term,” he says.

Deborah Lauter, director of civil rights at the Anti-Defamation League agrees that the bumper sticker falls within acceptable political discourse.

For it to be considered hate speech, it “would advocate actual violence or cite scripture that was more clear in its message.”

But that doesn’t mean that it’s completely innocent.

“Are we concerned about real hostility towards [President Obama]? Absolutely,” says Ms. Lauter. “Is this a part of that movement? It may be, but in terms of this message itself, we would not criticize it.”

“The problem is you don’t know if people who are donning that message in a shirt or on a bumper sticker are fully aware of the quote or what follows. Obviously that message makes the ambiguity disappear. If they’re just referring to him being out of office, that’s one thing. If they’re referring to him being dead, that’s so offensive. It’s protected speech, but it’s clearly offensive.”

For many, the slogan is just a humorous way express disapproval for President Obama. It’s been tweeted and retweeted by Obama critics with messages like “too funny” and “an excellent prayer for America.”

Twitter user Cheri Douglas felt compelled to share the psalm with others. Reached by phone, she said she found it on website while searching for Bible passages relating to leadership – a topic on which she writes, speaks, and consults for a living.

Ms. Douglas was unaware of the verses that followed the ones she referenced and doesn’t think that those who shared the psalm wish the President harm.

“I don’t believe there’s Christians who wish him ill will,” she says.

But Douglas does say she’s unhappy with the president and used the psalm to convey that she’d like him to serve only one term.