[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pacific Northwest

Brentastic

Hey Huddlers,

I really feel like I need to move out of Illinois and although I've never been, I've always pictured myself living in the PNW, specifically Portland. I like trees and mountains and nature but I'm also accustomed to city life etc... which brings me to Portland or Seattle or maybe somewhere in No. Cal.

Anyways, the real point of this post is to ask - does it really rain that much in Portland? If so, like how much? Any other info would be great (economy, job market, housing etc...).

yes, it does rain and is cloudy in Seattle, and Portland, although Ptown has better weather- summers are the best, and winters pretty mild and compared to Chicago you would prob enjoy the milder climate. Job market is much stronger in Seattle, although it is a lot more expensive there s well. Portland is hit or miss job-wise depending on what you do - Seattle consistently has one of the strongest professional-level job markets in the country-

Portland is cool little town though and much more affordable than Seattle, housing -wise. Go check it out - it seems like everyone I know that moves from the midwest to eh PNW freaking loves it.

not going nw, but we are thinking the same thing about gettin off the titantic. i mean chicago.

I hear ya. I mean, I love it here, I really do. I'm a 'foodie' so Chicago is ideal for that but I need more space and some beautiful nature and I don't want to raise my kids here. People say, 'move to the burbs' but I don't see the point of living in the burbs and commuting to the city. I either want to live in Chicago and be in close proximity to all my favorite restaurants and all the action or I want to live in another city with different offerings. Moving to the burbs is the most pointless alternative I can imagine - the housing prices in the burbs, at least the good burbs, aren't much cheaper than in the city.

I was surprised to find that Portland housing prices are slightly higher than Chicago per this site: http://www.realtor.org/research/research/metroprice

These mean prices don't tell the whole story though. For instance, in Chicago, if you want to live in a decent and safe neighborhood, you're looking at no less than half million. Maybe Portland is different, or maybe the 'rougher' neighborhoods are at least decent enough to raise a family in.

I was surprised to find that Portland housing prices are slightly higher than Chicago per this site: http://www.realtor.org/research/research/metroprice

These mean prices don't tell the whole story though. For instance, in Chicago, if you want to live in a decent and safe neighborhood, you're looking at no less than half million. Maybe Portland is different, or maybe the 'rougher' neighborhoods are at least decent enough to raise a family in.

portland and seattle never participated fully in the housing debacle.

hear ya about the burbs. u need to get out of cook county, then that makes your commute a pain.

the thing is, besides COL and traffic, Seattle blows Portland out of the water in every way - not even close. job opps, culture, scenery, sports, activities, etc.

being from Chi, Seattle gives you more "city" - Portland is more of a big town. The weather wears on you in the NW tho, which is why this Seattleite is now in the desert and loving it

Portland, OR, gets 42 inches of rain per year. The US average is 37. Snowfall is 3 inches. The average US city gets 25 inches of snow per year. The number of days with any measurable precipitation is 154.

On average, there are 144 sunny days per year in Portland, OR. The July high is around 79 degrees. The January low is 37. Our comfort index, which is based on humidity during the hot months, is a 63 out of 100, where higher is more comfortable. The US average on the comfort index is 44.

Are those pics from your yard or just from your town? Nonetheless, very beautiful!! You're north of Seattle, right?

Portland, OR, gets 42 inches of rain per year. The US average is 37. Snowfall is 3 inches. The average US city gets 25 inches of snow per year. The number of days with any measurable precipitation is 154.

On average, there are 144 sunny days per year in Portland, OR. The July high is around 79 degrees. The January low is 37. Our comfort index, which is based on humidity during the hot months, is a 63 out of 100, where higher is more comfortable. The US average on the comfort index is 44.

Nice info. Do you live in Portland? I was guessing Montana.

It seems like they don't get that much more rain than we probably get here in Chicago.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I've lived in Seattle more than anywhere else, but have lived all over the world at some point. I've been in Portland for 4 years and of all the places I've lived, this is easily my favorite.

Rain - It does rain, no question about it, but with the rain, we also get more sun than Seattle. When October hits in Seattle, you will wait until July 5th to see the sun again. In Portland, there is a good chance it will rain on many of the same days, but there will also be sun breaks in the majority of those. We never have to shovel rain.

I'd put Portland up with just about any city in the country as far as food goes, and I think the NYTimes outed just that notion recently. This is a food city with more 4 star restaurants per capita than any other city in the country. Throw in more microbreweries than any other city in the country, wine country 30 minutes away, and you've got some culinary work to do. Comparing with Chicago - we don't have a good steakhouse. Chicago owns that market. We don't have anything that can compete with Charlie Trotter's. We tried. Portland rejected it on principle before it even opened and it lasted all of 9 months. Beyond that, I'd take PDX's choices.

After spending 2-3 hours every day in Seattle commutes, moving to Portland has been amazing. I live in the city limits of Portland but anyone that lives downtown would consider it the burbs because I'm 6 miles from downtown. My commute every morning takes about 10 minutes and I drive through Forest Park (the largest urban park in the country). Never hitting a highway is nice, although in my previous house, I was in Beaverton and the commute on the highway was still only 20 minutes with the majority of that being spent between the highway and my house. Highways move pretty quick. They can get clogged up a little but that results in speeds of 40mph. In Seattle, clogged highways meant full stop (at least until I moved to North Bend, east of the city, where the commute to downtown did improve).

From my house, it takes about an hour to get to Mt. Hood for skiing, hiking, snowshoeing, whatever. 60 minutes in the opposite direction and I'm on the coast. 30 minutes to the south, I'm in the Willamette wine country. 10 minutes to the north and I'm on the Columbia River.

Housing out here, or anywhere on the west coast, is still not cheap. Prices have definitely come down in the NW, but didn't take a dive like elsewhere in the country. My current house (new construction) sat on the market for a year before I bought it. At that point, I got it for 79% of the original listing price. Value has gone up very slightly since I bought in July.

We do have pretty high unemployment right now, but recent reports indicate something that I hadn't thought of before. In many major cities, people that lose their jobs are willing to move to find new employment. In Portland, people aren't willing to leave. I believe crappy shoes from spammers just started hiring again. Intel is doing some hiring again. Things do seem to be turning locally.

Portland was recently ranked as one of the safest cities in the country with the lowest crime rate of any major city. There aren't really areas I would consider "rough". We do lack sports. No top level team except for the Trailblazers. Minor league baseball (padres AAA) and hockey (blackhawks farm team) with soccer.

http://traveler.nationalgeographic.com/200...e/portland-text

http://traveler.nationalgeographic.com/200...rce=email_alist

In the Seattle area, unless you lived downtown, you'd think about it awhile before you went downtown. Was it worth the traffic, congestion, etc. In Portland, you're pretty much downtown already. Doesn't matter where you live. I agree with Wildcat completely...it is a big town. I just like it that way.

Edited by Seattle LawDawg

Nice info. Do you live in Portland?

Missoula, Montana. I would try to sell you on this area, but unless your in the medical field, forestry or a professor not much job opportunity.

My little sister lives in Portland. Her family loves it. Its a very pretty city. My younger brother lives in Eugene, another cool town. A little freaky with all the green freaks, but unique as hell.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I've lived in Seattle more than anywhere else, but have lived all over the world at some point. I've been in Portland for 4 years and of all the places I've lived, this is easily my favorite.

Rain - It does rain, no question about it, but with the rain, we also get more sun than Seattle. When October hits in Seattle, you will wait until July 5th to see the sun again. In Portland, there is a good chance it will rain on many of the same days, but there will also be sun breaks in the majority of those. We never have to shovel rain.

I'd put Portland up with just about any city in the country as far as food goes, and I think the NYTimes outed just that notion recently. This is a food city with more 4 star restaurants per capita than any other city in the country. Throw in more microbreweries than any other city in the country, wine country 30 minutes away, and you've got some culinary work to do. Comparing with Chicago - we don't have a good steakhouse. Chicago owns that market. We don't have anything that can compete with Charlie Trotter's. We tried. Portland rejected it on principle before it even opened and it lasted all of 9 months. Beyond that, I'd take PDX's choices.

After spending 2-3 hours every day in Seattle commutes, moving to Portland has been amazing. I live in the city limits of Portland but anyone that lives downtown would consider it the burbs because I'm 6 miles from downtown. My commute every morning takes about 10 minutes and I drive through Forest Park (the largest urban park in the country). Never hitting a highway is nice, although in my previous house, I was in Beaverton and the commute on the highway was still only 20 minutes with the majority of that being spent between the highway and my house. Highways move pretty quick. They can get clogged up a little but that results in speeds of 40mph. In Seattle, clogged highways meant full stop (at least until I moved to North Bend, east of the city, where the commute to downtown did improve).

From my house, it takes about an hour to get to Mt. Hood for skiing, hiking, snowshoeing, whatever. 60 minutes in the opposite direction and I'm on the coast. 30 minutes to the south, I'm in the Willamette wine country. 10 minutes to the north and I'm on the Columbia River.

Housing out here, or anywhere on the west coast, is still not cheap. Prices have definitely come down in the NW, but didn't take a dive like elsewhere in the country. My current house (new construction) sat on the market for a year before I bought it. At that point, I got it for 79% of the original listing price. Value has gone up very slightly since I bought in July.

We do have pretty high unemployment right now, but recent reports indicate something that I hadn't thought of before. In many major cities, people that lose their jobs are willing to move to find new employment. In Portland, people aren't willing to leave. I believe crappy shoes from spammers just started hiring again. Intel is doing some hiring again. Things do seem to be turning locally.

Portland was recently ranked as one of the safest cities in the country with the lowest crime rate of any major city. There aren't really areas I would consider "rough". We do lack sports. No top level team except for the Trailblazers. Minor league baseball (padres AAA) and hockey (blackhawks farm team) with soccer.

http://traveler.nationalgeographic.com/200...e/portland-text

http://traveler.nationalgeographic.com/200...rce=email_alist

In the Seattle area, unless you lived downtown, you'd think about it awhile before you went downtown. Was it worth the traffic, congestion, etc. In Portland, you're pretty much downtown already. Doesn't matter where you live. I agree with Wildcat completely...it is a big town. I just like it that way.

Great post, much appreciated. Next question - can you get me a job? :wacko:

the thing is, besides COL and traffic, Seattle blows Portland out of the water in every way - not even close. job opps, culture, scenery, sports, activities, etc.

being from Chi, Seattle gives you more "city" - Portland is more of a big town. The weather wears on you in the NW tho, which is why this Seattleite is now in the desert and loving it

I hear ya, but I've been there done that living here in Chicago. What I like about Portland, er what I've hear about Portland, is that it's got some of the same amenities as big cities like Chicago or Seattle without the congestion, trash, crime. I've seen enough 'culture' here in Chicago - now I'm looking for a big enough city to have good food and stores etc... but also safe enough to raise a family and small enough to decrease my 2 hour daily commute. Dig? :wacko:

Missoula, Montana. I would try to sell you on this area, but unless your in the medical field, forestry or a professor not much job opportunity.

My little sister lives in Portland. Her family loves it. Its a very pretty city. My younger brother lives in Eugene, another cool town. A little freaky with all the green freaks, but unique as hell.

I saw my very first Phish concert in Missoula, MT back in the fall of 1995 - cool little town, from what I can remember under the haze of a few microdot hits. The drive from my then home Belle Fourche, SD to Missoula was absolutely stunning once we got into Montana.

It really depends on what you're looking for. There are few places in this country more beautiful aesthetically than the Seattle area, once you get out of downtown. The lakes, rivers, mountains, ocean, etc. are all nearby. Don't tell anybody, but our summers are absolutely gorgeous. Sure, it rains for six months, and many find that somewhat depressing, but the winters generally stay above freezing. There are limitless things to do in Seattle, restaurants, cultural experiences, shopping, concerts etc. It has a lot more of a "city" feel than Portland does. A person from Seattle would move to Portland if they wanted to simplify and slow things down. Portland, although they are coming around rapidly, still has a bit of an "earthy" feel to it. It is a bit quaint, but the people are generally very nice. In Seattle, everybody tends to follow the beat of their own drum. People are cordial in Seattle, but not terribly inviting. Portland also is probably a better place to raise a family.

As far as the job market, it really isn't close. Seattle has Microsoft, still some Boeing, Costco, Nintendo, Starbucks and other major companies that have their corporate offices based here, so that alone gives it a pretty substantial advantage. Just some random thoughts. Of course, in Seattle, we don't have a basetball team. Portland is a lot more of a college sports town.

I won't say much about Portland since I haven't lived there.

The rainy label is a big misconception. It rains more in Philly, New York, Atlanta, etc than in Seattle. Use the weather dotcom site to compare precipitation levels and you'll find it to be true. And it's not because of snow levels, which can be verified by seeing which months have the most precipitation. Seattle gets most of it's rain/snow in the winter months, the other locations get more during the Summer months. It rarely downpours here, more of a drizzle.

But it is overcast more...

The reason is because you have these things called mountains and oceans. When the jetstream pushes the cloud layers (over the ocean) towards the mountains, the heavy clouds move slower as they try to pass over nature's wall. It causes a bunch up of the clouds and thus the overcast days.

Ever seen low lying clouds just sitting there in the valley between two large hills/mountains? Same effect.

It is very beautiful here. People go to Anchorage Alaska and remark how beautiful it is... same set-up here, mountain range to the East and ocean to the west, just 30-50 degrees warmer in the lower 48. When I visited, I thought Anchorage was basically a mirror image of Tacoma, but with about half the people and larger animals.

Portland tends to have less cloudy days because Seattle actually has two mountain ranges (one to the East - the Cascades and one to the West - the Olympics). Portland has the Cascades to the East. Oh, and if you want the "small town" feel, check out the state capitol Olympia (between Portland and Seattle). More trees and such in Olympia than in Seattle. Seattle and Tacoma are city living, Olympia is less so but has everything you need with less people. Portland is closer in population to Tacoma, but closer to a small town feel like Olympia.

Housing prices are high, but like any other location on Earth, anything near a major body of water costs coin.

I-5 is the major highway and can be a pain at certain times of day, but it's no different than most major city driving. I live closer to Olympia and I work 20 minutes away. So, not all traffic in the region is bad.

Pacific Northwest is very laid back. It can be a culture shock for some. Plenty on the entertainment scene: sports teams, musicals, concerts, theater, zoo, restaurants, etc. Birkenstocks are optional.

More jobs in the Seattle area due to it being bigger and the home to plenty of corporations. If you want to work for the state, Olympia would be an option.

Large military and retiree populations in Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia areas. Even though we like to hug trees and protect our snowy owls, we also like our military (Army, Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard installations all nearby). Plenty of jobs on the military installations.

If you like to ski, golf, fish, hunt, water sports (not talking golden), hiking, sailing/kayaking/jet skiing, scenic views, etc... the Seattle area is for you.

These vista points are within 2 to 8 miles of my house:

Olympia's state Capitol building

Tolmie State Park

Olympic Mountain range

Puget Sound sailing

Sunrise with Mount Rainier and Sunset just 1 mile away from each other.

Edited by Riffraff