[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

PS3 Owners

'canes2004

Ok, I want to get my PS3 hooked up to the net for gaming and movies and such. I need to know what is needed to complete this task. Here is my layout:

I have my desktop hooked up in my "man-room" upstairs. This is the only PC in the house. No wire-less, it's a cable connection hard wired into the cable modem, into the wall.

Downstairs in the main living room is my new PS3. It's in the entertainment center. I have a standard cable out that goes into my DVR , which in turn HDMI's into the TV. From what I can devise, I need a router so the cable in can go into that first and in turn Ethernet wire out to the PS3.Is this correct?

So, it's cable out of my wall into the router. Cable out of my router into my DVR. Ethernet out of the router into the PS3. Is this correct? Is it that easy or am I missing something? Is the router just used so it can carry a signal from the PS3 to the net? Will it effect my internet in the other room?

ANY info will be much appreciated and I promise to root for your team this Sunday too. :wacko:

Why not just go wireless?

Instead of another modem, get a router. Hook it up off of your existing modem.

This will save you a ton of aggravation for less than the cost of a PSIII game.

There is too much distance and too many walls for a wireless solution. I need a hard wired connection.

There is too much distance and too many walls for a wireless solution. I need a hard wired connection.

My router reaches all three levels of the house, from the middle level.

Not to mention the back porch, through a brick and block wall.

It cost me $40.

But if you can’t do wireless I think you have to do a hard wired router and a lot of cable.

if you want to connect your PS3 to the internet...what games will you be playing?..

If there's one thing I know about people playing on a wireless connection it's that they tend to ruin the gaming experience due to lag...

you want to play on a wired connection and my best advice would be to run a 100ft wire.....

...seriously...

if you want to connect your PS3 to the internet...what games will you be playing?..

If there's one thing I know about people playing on a wireless connection it's that they tend to ruin the gaming experience due to lag...

you want to play on a wired connection and my best advice would be to run a 100ft wire.....

...seriously...

Exactly, if you are a serious gamer and play FPS games, then wireless will not be a good substitute for wired. I do not care what anyone says, it is a fact. Even wireless-N is not sufficient.

Having said that, for most people wireless will be ok but for serious gamers and/or FPS gamers, wired is the only solution.

Hmm, I guess I've played on wireless a few times and it's been alright. :wacko: My COD scores were reasonable for how well I knew the maps I was playing (middle pack and up). I guess I only play real FPS games on my PC though :D

It was a legitimate input. What else are your options then?

Oh, I realize that it's legit. I'm looking for a quick solution but the more people that I've asked, the more likely your solution will be my only option. Was hoping for something I could bust out on the fly but alas, there is no Santa Claus.

Exactly, if you are a serious gamer and play FPS games, then wireless will not be a good substitute for wired. I do not care what anyone says, it is a fact. Even wireless-N is not sufficient.

Having said that, for most people wireless will be ok but for serious gamers and/or FPS gamers, wired is the only solution.

a buddy of mine plays fighting games a lot and it can seriously ruin the experience...

...for madden...it can be detrimental...

Hmm, I guess I've played on wireless a few times and it's been alright. :wacko: My COD scores were reasonable for how well I knew the maps I was playing (middle pack and up). I guess I only play real FPS games on my PC though :D

you won't notice any problems.....it's the people in the game with you that suffer....

Looks like the best solution is to run an ethernet wire from my router to the PS3. I called Radio Shack and they have 100ft. cords but they're like 70 bucks! A buddy of mine told me to try an electrical supplier. They carry the same wires for new homes and I should get a better price.

Also, PS3 owners. How is the PS3 browser for surfing the net? They sell a wireless keyboard and mouse for the platform and I hear it's killer for some sites like You Tube and such. Plus the PS3 Network is supposed to have all kinds of stuff like movies for download.

Looks like the best solution is to run an ethernet wire from my router to the PS3. I called Radio Shack and they have 100ft. cords but they're like 70 bucks! A buddy of mine told me to try an electrical supplier. They carry the same wires for new homes and I should get a better price.

Also, PS3 owners. How is the PS3 browser for surfing the net? They sell a wireless keyboard and mouse for the platform and I hear it's killer for some sites like You Tube and such. Plus the PS3 Network is supposed to have all kinds of stuff like movies for download.

check monoprice.com or amazon.com....

also the browser is pretty good and Sony is hammering something out with Mozilla for their browser as an upgrade and it has a button you can click that sends you right to YouTube on top of getting NetFlix soon with the Playstation Network having movies and TV shows along with PS3/PSone/PSP games available for download....but the PSP only games can't be played on the PS3....the PSOne games can be played on a PSP or PS3 though...

check monoprice.com or amazon.com....

also the browser is pretty good and Sony is hammering something out with Mozilla for their browser as an upgrade and it has a button you can click that sends you right to YouTube on top of getting NetFlix soon with the Playstation Network having movies and TV shows along with PS3/PSone/PSP games available for download....but the PSP only games can't be played on the PS3....the PSOne games can be played on a PSP or PS3 though...

My understanding is netflix is available now. You have to get a disk from netflix to run it in the PS3. A software update will come sometime next year.

Good info here. Thanks guys. :wacko:

I work in the electrical industry and I think you are better off with monoprice (who I've used a dozen times and they are awesome). Distributors most likely have 1000ft boxes and the contractors make their own connections in the field. Many won't carry the smaller prefabbed lengths.

let me check but I might have a 100' CAT5

Thanks Keg :wacko: but I think I finally found a solution. Get a cable spliter. Split the cable, one end goes to my DVR/TV the second will go to a second modem! Which will then in turn ethernet right into the PS3. Its only an extra 5 bucks a month to add a new modem from my cable company. My 14 year old neighbor gave me the solution and looked at me like I was stupid to not know it in the first place. :D