[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who do you follow in college baseketball?

Chief Dick

Most of my life we didn't have decent college basketball in the Seattle area, but now that UW is perenially pretty good, it makes the whole sports scene so much more fun here, especially since we lost the Sonics.

UW Huskies

A little down this year, but young and will be a terror next year

a`little down? they are the best team in the Pac 10 this year and could make a nice run

admittedly the Pac 10 is waaaay down this year tho

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UW Huskies

A little down this year, but young and will be a terror next year

I think WC beat me to it, but the Huskies are not down... They're arguably better than last year, and they'll move up in the P-10 regardless, due to others within the conference falling. They just lost a shootout to Texas Tech, but they're next three games (all home contests) should tell us a lot about which way this team is headed... Georgetown and Texas A&M are both top-25 teams, while Portland has proven that they can be a tough out as well (they've already knocked off Oregon, UCLA, and Minnesota this year).

It's still a little too early to tell how much they're going to miss Brockman (and I think they lost a couple of guards whose names slip my mind right now), but as long as Pondexter and Thomas stay healthy, I think they'll stay in the top 15-20 in the rankings, and probably be the top seed out of the Pac-10 in March. Worst case, they miss their losses from last year more than we expect, and they become a borderline top-25 team. In that case, they'll still be one of the top 2-3 teams in the conference, and a middle seed in the tournament.

Like I said, the next three games, at home, should tell a lot... They need to win at least two of those games, in my opinion, to convince people that they're for real. Still early, though... I'm not convinced that Georgetown will be anything more than a middle-of-the-pack team in the Big East, and I haven't had a chance to see A&M yet.

There is no mercy rule in girls basketball that shortens the game or permits the clock to continue running when scores become lopsided. There is, however, “a golden rule” that should have applied in this contest, said Edd burlesque, the director of the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools. Both schools are members of this association, which oversees private school athletics in Texas.

...um ok, but what does that have to do with who you follow in college basketball or were you just trying to spam your Christmas games?

So, either Georgetown is better than I thought, or Washington might not belong in the top 20. That's sort of hard to believe, since they're projected to possibly win the Pac-10. I think it's a little of both... Georgetown looked pretty good today, and Washington pretty much had a rough second half. I guess I didn't give the Hoyas enough credit, and I'm starting to wonder if the Huskies really are the best in their conference. Obviously, it's way too early to tell, as the conference schedule hasn't even started.

I was also wrong in stating that this was the start of three home games for the Huskies... the game was played in Anaheim. Either way, Georgetown looks tough and appears to be better than just a "middle-of-the-pack" team in the Big East, like I stated yesterday. Vaughn and Monroe give them a very nice combo inside.

• 2 weeks later...
So, either Georgetown is better than I thought, or Washington might not belong in the top 20. That's sort of hard to believe, since they're projected to possibly win the Pac-10. I think it's a little of both... Georgetown looked pretty good today, and Washington pretty much had a rough second half. I guess I didn't give the Hoyas enough credit, and I'm starting to wonder if the Huskies really are the best in their conference. Obviously, it's way too early to tell, as the conference schedule hasn't even started.

I was also wrong in stating that this was the start of three home games for the Huskies... the game was played in Anaheim. Either way, Georgetown looks tough and appears to be better than just a "middle-of-the-pack" team in the Big East, like I stated yesterday. Vaughn and Monroe give them a very nice combo inside.

Washington isn't very good. I was really surprised that Georgetown just lost on their home floor to Old Dominion!! But either way, Washington has some major flaws. First, they don't have a single guy that is halfway consistent outside of 12 feet. They are young, athletic, they might play perimeter defense as well as any team in the country, but teams are starting to learn to pack the paint on them, and in turn, UW's scoring is way down. They have no inside presence whatsoever (Pondexter is their only decent post player, and he is a 6-6 swingman). The shooting thing is going to kill them. Once more teams realize that if their defensive players don't step a foot ouside the key that Washington is a futile shooting team, it is going to be curtains. We may be one of the better teams in the Pac-10, but that isn't saying much. Certainly nowhere near to as good as they were last year. And no, they aren't the best team in the Pac-10. That would be WSU.

Washington isn't very good. I was really surprised that Georgetown just lost on their home floor to Old Dominion!! But either way, Washington has some major flaws. First, they don't have a single guy that is halfway consistent outside of 12 feet. They are young, athletic, they might play perimeter defense as well as any team in the country, but teams are starting to learn to pack the paint on them, and in turn, UW's scoring is way down. They have no inside presence whatsoever (Pondexter is their only decent post player, and he is a 6-6 swingman). The shooting thing is going to kill them. Once more teams realize that if their defensive players don't step a foot ouside the key that Washington is a futile shooting team, it is going to be curtains. We may be one of the better teams in the Pac-10, but that isn't saying much. Certainly nowhere near to as good as they were last year. And no, they aren't the best team in the Pac-10. That would be WSU.

WSU?? :wacko:

this post shows how much you know about basketball, which is much less than football - this is college hoops homie, inside presence?? haha

WSU is nice little team, but they will be lucky to finish in the top half of the Pac 10

The Pac 10 is down due to the insane number of studs they have lost to the NBA- and the Huskies are a good ballclub that has struggled to hit their stride so far. BUT they are talented and with Quincy and Thomas 2 guys that can make plays to win games.

CAL is going to win the Pac 10 - they have had a slow start but are the most talented team BY FAR.

Got to agree with this for the most part. WSU is a fun team to watch this year with the Ken Bone's uptempo system and a few good atheles, but I would predict them falling into the middle of the Pac 10 standings by year's end. Guessing California wins the conference with the Huskies at a close 2nd. No-one in the Pac 10 should make much noise in March.

this post shows how much you know about basketball, which is much less than football - this is college hoops homie, inside presence?? haha

WSU is nice little team, but they will be lucky to finish in the top half of the Pac 10

The Pac 10 is down due to the insane number of studs they have lost to the NBA- and the Huskies are a good ballclub that has struggled to hit their stride so far. BUT they are talented and with Quincy and Thomas 2 guys that can make plays to win games.

CAL is going to win the Pac 10 - they have had a slow start but are the most talented team BY FAR.

You're sure fun to play with. No matter how many times I prove you wrong, you keep coming back with insults. (Where is my money btw?)

I agree with you on Cal. Randle absolutely killed us last year. Cal is going to be good. I have them at #2 in the conference, just ahead of UW. Whenever I have watched WSU, they have looked like a more well rounded team than any other west coast team I've seen outside of Gonzaga. When Gonzaga and WSU played, it was easily apparent that both of those teams were pretty darn good, and quite a bit better than UW. WSU has the best player in the conference, has some athletic talent, has a rebounder, and has some shooters. They are the least flawed team in the Pac-10, and are clearly the best overall team that I have seen in the conference. They seem to be awfully energized playing in an uptempo game, which is a stark contrast to their past half decade. Thompson wins Pac-10 POY going away, and the Cougs win the Pac-10 by a game or two. Believe me, it pains me to say it, but they are pretty good.

Have you watched UW recently? The other night they started out 1-17 on jumpshots. That is going to get exposed big in conference play, and they are going to end up losing to some teams that clearly don't have their physical talent.

Edited by Seahawks21

Chiming in a little late on this, as I finish my coffee before heading out to see Washington play Oregon this afternoon, but I agree with virtually everything Seahawks21 has to say on this except the bolded parts. First off, it's not that Washington isn't very good. They are very good, they will run and defend any team that comes in their way. They are well-coached and always play hard and have great individual talents on their roster. They are among the top 10% of college basketball teams easily.

Now the flaws mentioned are all extremely accurate, but so what? A team that wins games and is fun to watch is pretty good. So they aren't Kansas, Kentucky, Texas, or Purdue? They might not even make it out of the 2nd Round of the tournament, but they're likely going to make a run at back-to-back Pac-10 titles, and considering they last won one of them in 1953, it's kind of hard to really come up with a lot of things to bitch about.

A great team? Not especially. A solid club that should do well enough in conference play to justify getting the #4 or #5 seed they'll end up with? Absolutely.

ETA: Don't shortchange WSU. They will win a lot of conference games this year.

Edited by godtomsatan

• 2 weeks later...
wildcat, you've probably seen UW play a few times in the last week, any thoughts?

brutal -

the entire Pac 10 is so mediocre I think every team will finish within a game or two of .500 in league play. I mean, it has all the makings of a 1 bid league right now unless someone gets their chit together.

I still say Cal and UW will right the ship and be decent teams by the end of the year and be a tough out in round one come March.

boy oh boy it is just painful to watch - my Wildcats are not good and they dummied UW.

OSU loses by 51 to Seattle U then goes to Eugene and beats the Ducks...........

• 2 weeks later...

Man, the Gophers had MSU on the ropes today, and blew it down the stretch. Minnesota controlled the first 30 minutes or so, leading by as many as 13 at one point... They actually led the entire way, until MSU took the lead with a minute and a half to go. The Spartans are a tough team, and you have to play 40 solid minutes to beat them. Just ask Gonzaga.

Tough loss for the Gophers... They really could have used that win over a top-10 team on their tournament resume. With the road loss to a poor Indiana team a week ago, they really can't afford any more missed opportunities. I will say this... Today for the first time in a while where, in watching the game, I really felt they were on the same level as MSU. Last year, they were blown out by MSU on the road, and lost again handily at home... It was clear that the Spartans were a far superior squad. This year, they lost by seven at East Lansing, and very easily could/should have won today. I guess the progress is a good thing, but this team really needs to learn to close out the winnable games.

Looking forward to watching Duke-Clemson tonight.