[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Computer Help Needed

Chief Dick

OK. My computer has a DVD-RW. For some reason it is not reading some DVD's, mainly some that have worked before but will not now. It is writing files ok.

I've put in some DVD's I've recorded before, and have been able to read before, but not now. I'm getting an error message that says:

Disk is not formatted.

Windows cannot read from this disk. Disk may be corrupted, or it might be using a format that is not compatible with Windows.

Keep in mind, these disks have worked before. Any ideas? I have Windows XP.

Edited by Chief Dick

OK. My computer has a DVD-RW. For some reason it is not reading some DVD's, mainly some that have worked before but will not now. It is writing files ok.

I've put in some DVD's I've recorded before, and have been able to read before, but not now. I'm getting an error message that says:

Disk is not formatted.

Windows cannot read from this disk. Disk may be corrupted, or it might be using a format that is not compatible with Windows.

Keep in mind, these disks have worked before. Any ideas? I have Windows XP.

check this thread out and then especially post 9... not sure if that will work but it at least gives you an option if you can't find anything else

did you do a new install or anything different to the system?

check this thread out and then especially post 9... not sure if that will work but it at least gives you an option if you can't find anything else

did you do a new install or anything different to the system?

Haven't done anything new to the system. And thanks for the link. I hope I don't have to reformat the whole thing to fix it.

what software are you using to read/write?

Well, the DVD RW was a drive I installed probably 5 years ago, and it's a Sony. I use Nero to burn when I need to burn something. And it works fine.

In this instance, it's a problem with the DVD ROM just reading some disks. Mostly DVD disks with music files on them. It reads music CD's just fine.

Edited by Chief Dick

Since this is just a read error and not a complete failure of the drive, I am thinking it is something software rather than hardware related. Before you go monkeying with Windows itself, there are a couple of things that I would look at. Is there an updated version of the drivers available for the drive? If so, download them and see if this addresses the problem. Second, did MS do an automatic update of XP just before trouble started? It could still be the drivers, even if there isn't a new one available. Uninstall and then reinstall the current ones. Also, xsearch online for troubleshooting the exact make and model of your driive along with XP. This may not be an isolated issue and it could be an easy fix.

Since this is just a read error and not a complete failure of the drive, I am thinking it is something software rather than hardware related. Before you go monkeying with Windows itself, there are a couple of things that I would look at. Is there an updated version of the drivers available for the drive? If so, download them and see if this addresses the problem. Second, did MS do an automatic update of XP just before trouble started? It could still be the drivers, even if there isn't a new one available. Uninstall and then reinstall the current ones. Also, xsearch online for troubleshooting the exact make and model of your driive along with XP. This may not be an isolated issue and it could be an easy fix.

I'll try some of these when I get home tonight. I did run a search on the error message, and it seems like there are several options available.

Thanks.