[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

List your dangerous Childhood memories below

whomper

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We also used to make a life size dummy with a basketball head, light him on fire, and hang him over telephone wires and drop him onto passing cars. Another brilliant bit of harmless childhood fun. :wacko:

Did the same thing ... except it was more basic (no basketball head) with no fire. I rigged it up with a fishing pole so I could raise and lower it.

Threw newspapers at passing cars.

Had fire cracker fights.

Not skitching ... but in the same vein ... dragged my sister around the wet yard with my motorcycle.

Skitching- Not sure if that term is universal but here it meant when it snowed grabbing the back bumper of a car at a red light and sliding on the snow while holding the bumper when the car took off

This, but we used MEtro Buses.

Train hopping was by far the most dangerous, getting on was easy but getting off sometimes was very bad if not near deadly. I had a friend lose a leg by getting clipped by the red lights but that never stopped us.

1st thing that comes to mind:

When I was about 11, I had an archery set. I was in the backyard when a friend showed up. I thought I'd scare him by shooting an arrow close to him. Missed him by about 5 feet (probably 5 feet closer than what I intended). Obviously overestimated my skill.

Man oh man I was a twisted little bastard and so were my friends.

I admit this was so screwed up that I almost hate to put it out there but I think I will get a pass since I as in the 9 - 12 range. Monkey balls thrown from the top of a hill at the road below while cars passed is the most effed up thing ever. I mean this was a very high hill and luckily the timing was almost impossible to get right but every now and then someone sheet their pants when that monkey ball hit their car.

Other effed up thing was that my cohorts and I found an open access to a major storm drain. We would climb down this thing with a big wheels and green machines and fly down this storm runoff at speeds that had to be at least 30 MPH in the total darkness only to splash down in the sheet creek that was a good 3/4 miles away. It was a great ride but that creek took the lives of a least 6 kids in my lifetime but never feared it. As we got older we would ride inter-tubes down that drain during rain storms and then ride the creek, (it was like major rapids during a storm), for another two or three miles down to the mouth of the Ohio river down by the point of Pittsburgh. Lots of fun but I would go nuts if my kids did that today.

Bottle Rocket Wars

BB Gun Wars (they didn't have paint ball back then)

I broke my brothers arm pulling him on a sled behind a 4 Wheeler, slamming him into the curb.

I built a tree house almost 100 feet in the air. I was so proud of myself. I got dad and showed him an he almost beat the chit out of me.

Along a similar vein, I built a fort in the side of a creek bed. I basically dug out a cave 5' high 5' wide and about 12' deep into the bank. Dad got pissed at that one too.

I jumped off a 60 high bridge into a channel between two lakes, and almost got stuck in the mud at the bottom of the channel.

I've kneeboarded at over 50 mph, and it hurts like hell to fall going that fast.

I used to jump over and submarine under 4-6' wide piers on my jet ski.

I jumped over the high school principle's fishing boat on a jet ski.

I've sprayed down the game warden with a jet ski.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

Did I mention we had roman candle fights as well? We'd light them, stand 15 feet apart, and fire them at each other. Amazingly no one ever went to the ER.

This was on our hit parade as well.

Skitching- Not sure if that term is universal but here it meant when it snowed grabbing the back bumper of a car at a red light and sliding on the snow while holding the bumper when the car took off

Yup, it was a great way of transportation for a couple of blocks.

Amazingly stupid stuff on bikes. We would jump them on, off or over anything, incuding other kids. My sister may still have tire tracks on her arm from when my chain broke just as I was about to jump and didn't quite clrear her. The majority of the scars I have today came from ages 6 to 14. :wacko:

Rock fights is mine. Just straight up throwing rocks at each other as hard as possible

Go

Did I mention we had roman candle fights as well? We'd light them, stand 15 feet apart, and fire them at each other. Amazingly no one ever went to the ER.

Yep, been there done that.... We lived next to a Rail Yard so hopping trains to get from one side of town to the other was a common occurance.

We use to make home-made grenades... Take an M80 dip it into glue (careful not to get the fuse) then roll it in BBs and let it harden. You needed to take some serious cover when you let one of those off....

We used to hit passing cars with acorns propelled by tennis rackets. If my kids ever do this I will kill them. If anyone ever does it to me I will hunt them down and kill them. Yet at the time it seemed like such harmless fun. :dumbass:

Substitute pine cones and bottle rockets (and other fireworks) and you're not alone. Ahhh, good times. Especially the time we threw a flower firework onto the hood of a cop car (mind you, form the vantage point we didn't know what car was coming)... the chases were the best part.

Ate lots of string/lint for some reason.

Shot squirrels with a slingshot.

In the 7th grade, was forced to take chorus because general music was full. The Chorus had to perform these really ghey Christmas and Spring concerts which I hated with a passion. I also hated the teacher, I guess because she was over-the-top enthusiastic and would practically cry at these concerts when we'd finish her masterpiece. Every teacher had a paper sign above the classroom door with their names written in calligraphy. One day before class a friend gave me a boost so I could reach the sign, and below the teacher's name I wrote "sucks d|icks for money!!!". A little rat named Chris Piccolo told the dean, and I was busted. He told my mom, gave me detention and I had to apologize to the teacher. I don't think she so much as looked at me for the rest of the year, which was fine with me.

Did a few of things mentioned already. Not really a dangerous childhood story but I think its funny so I'll share...

I grew up in a small town with one town doctor. At the beginning of every school year he was nice enough to give physicals to everyone playing sports that year for $1 to help with costs. Just before my Junior year I was dating his daughter. Well, we got caught on his couch one night doing something no one should see his daughter doing. Two weeks later it was physical time. The wait in line in my tighty whiteys knowing he was going to inspect the same parts that were violating his daughter two weeks earlier was the longest wait I think I have ever had. Lets just say he could not have been impressed with my prowess as the nerves had severely shrunken my assets. He, of course, was very professional. I think I would have ripped something off had it been me. Although I'm not sure how much of a grip he could have gotten. :wacko:

Edited by Cameltosis

BB gun fights, roman candle fights, throwing stuff at cars from a hill (about 1/2" diameter crabapples in my case) have all been mentioned.

One time in high school, an friend and I went to fish late (like midnight) in an old farmers pond. He didn't like this (trespassing, stealing his fish, etc.) Well, he catches us but at a decent distance so he didn't know who it was. He proceeds to shoot with a shotgun. My friend goes down and I throw him over my shoulders, GI-style, and proceed through the woods to the truck I feel blood on the leg I'm grasping with my hand.. At the truck, in the dome light, there's no blood on him anywhere, but he's in obvious pain. It was a load of paraffin wax. Probably a fairly light load too, since it didn't rip the jeans or break the skin, but my buddy had the most nasty bruise on his right ass-cheek and upper quad for a good two weeks. Good times... :wacko:

Paper clip fights. We had no worry about our eyeballs back then. And damnit they hurt.

Around the 4th of July, I'd get a nice smoke bomb and go into a telephone booth located on a busy corner, light it then pretend I couldn't get out and pass out. I thought it hilarious watching the reactions and hearing the cursing from the terrified passer-by's coming to my aide. Kids :wacko:

Paper clip fights. We had no worry about our eyeballs back then. And damnit they hurt.

We used to take strips of paper, roll them tight and fold them into a little boomerang-like thing and launch them with a rubber band. There was an art to getting them the right size and density for maximum impact. Those things were quite painful.

when i first opened this i thought to myself... i did miscevious things, but not things too dangerous. memories are starting to come back. we did a different version of "skitching." we used cars and buses while on our skateboards. on our bmx, did a lot of jumps and stairs and whatnot. my closest friend had 2 older brothers. we had fights with bb guns, slingshots, blowguns, etc. we all used to take turns boxing. in college did a lot of cliff jumping.

I love this thread and I have plenty more to add but just don't have the time.

One thing I wonder is if we all sit there and say to people that "I can't believe that I am alive"? I mean that for real. I did so many stupid things on motorcycles, four wheelers, even sleds that I just can't believe that none of us died. If one of my kids wanted to ride a sled down the run that my friends and I used to, I would go nuts. The worst thing that ever happened to one of us was a broken collarbone but man did we get jacked up often.

Just think how petrified you would be if your kids did any of this stuff. At the time it seemed like fun but God if my Girls ever did anything like these things I would be sick to my stomach. Just skitching alone is absolutely insane . You can easily slide under the car and under the tires. :wacko: Im glad we are all here to post these stories :D