[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

List your dangerous Childhood memories below

whomper

Skitching- Not sure if that term is universal but here it meant when it snowed grabbing the back bumper of a car at a red light and sliding on the snow while holding the bumper when the car took off

Definitely the most fun. We pronounced it Ski-Chin. Ya learned real quick to keep your toes up so you didn't go "ass over tea kettle" when you hit a manhole cover.

Pea shooters at cars.

Firecracker fights.

Making a monster firecracker out of the guts 20+ M-80's, magnesium chips, in a tire repair kit can. Good thing we didn't pack it too tight or we all would have been dead. (stood about 6' away) Those mag chips are pretty flammable. :D

Jumping from one roof to the neighbor's roof. House's in my hood were 2 story flat roof and about ~7' apart. I did it once, my Dad saw me, and I don't remember what happened for the next 24 hours. :wacko:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wacko:

I thought I was a :D and would throw darts up into the air and would move aside at the last moment. The one time I didn't move away fast enough was the last throw ever. :D

Remember lawn darts? I was outside playing one time and tried to throw one really high. It went up and backwards and landed embedded in the picnic table where my parents, etc were watching.

When we moved into PG county I had three brothers that lived next to me. Their dad (who later was my Company commander in the army) would leave all of his military gear in the garage. We would take the fuel bar out of the MRI packages and make fire bombs. We would burn anything and everything we could. The end result was one tree burned down, a shed and a field. I'm surprised more didn't burn down.

The worst one we did was dig a big pit and fill it with gas then flicked matches into it until the fumes caught.

When we moved into PG county I had three brothers that lived next to me. Their dad (who later was my Company commander in the army) would leave all of his military gear in the garage. We would take the fuel bar out of the MRI packages and make fire bombs. We would burn anything and everything we could. The end result was one tree burned down, a shed and a field. I'm surprised more didn't burn down.

The worst one we did was dig a big pit and fill it with gas then flicked matches into it until the fumes caught.

Every kid who grows up in a farming community needs to mix up his own batch of ANFO at one time or another.

Remember lawn darts? I was outside playing one time and tried to throw one really high. It went up and backwards and landed embedded in the picnic table where my parents, etc were watching.

While I did perform this moranic activity on my lawn, I am thankful I was using a blunted regular dart rather than one of those hugh lawn darts. :wacko:

I think I still have a scar on my forehead from where that sucker caught me. :D

If you're doing it on your chin, you're doing it wrong. :wacko:

But that's they way it ended up sometimes. :D

While I did perform this moranic activity on my lawn, I am thankful I was using a blunted regular dart rather than one of those hugh lawn darts. :D

I think I still have a scar on my forehead from where that sucker caught me. :D

Man....that explains a lot! :D

ETA:

BTW Whomp....this is by far the best post in years! Skippy sorta said it and I concur. Now I have to watch "Stand by me".

Edited by rocknrobn26

didn't read all but we use to have about 6-7 guys with metal garbage can covers, some acid, everyone gets 3 roman candles and the fight is on. how no one ever got scorched is beyond me. we had a couple of close calls where the shield was used in time. what a night that was.

I see this has been mentioned a few times.

Edited by SLAYER

yall are funny!! and woulda given me a heart attack if I was your mommy back in the day;) my childhood brushes w/ death or major injury were always related to rattlesnake hunting, the cousins & I would purposely search for them on Grandma Leocadia's (yes, her name was Leocadia) farm, whoever said rattlesnakes just rattle & cower away are wrong, one chased me to the fence & I was able to scale over just in the knick of time before it struck my ankle, I then told Grandma Leocadia about the snake, she used a garden hoe to chop it's head off ...I still have nightmares about it to this day, even the other nite I dreamt the snake bit me on the ankle and its fang was lodged in my leg lol!!!

When I was a kid we stole some hatchets from school bus emergency equipment.

There was a tree on the banks of the Passiac River in Summit New Jersey really old at least three foot in diameter.

It took 5 of us about 10 days of chopping but we finally dropped that tree across the river.

The area where we did this was in the woods and not traveled very often.

The first sign of a problem was a few months later when a very large amount of water started backing up in a housing development.

The tree along with garbage and rubble has caused a large dam to form.

We learned later that they had to dynamite the dam to relieve water pressure and clear the tree.

I think they still have warrants out on that one.

Skitching, roman candle fights, cliff jumping...

But for some reason today I was reminiscing about the rope swing in my buddy's back yard. It was tied up at like 25 feet, and you could swing from the top of the swingset for maximum height. At least 3 times between 3rd and 5th grade, that rope broke and someone went flying into or over the fence at very high speed. Yet it always got put back up. I'm not sure I'd set that up for my boys...

I can't believe I am the only 1 here to go train hopping :wacko:

Kid Cid and possibly Cliaz will know this story as well. When you go across the 14th street bridge into DC from VA, there was a big house on a tresel of the train tracks that had USA painted on it. We would have to run/crawl about 50 feet to get to the house and we were at least 50 foot above the Potomac river, but we would party in that house every weekend for a very long time until the Coast Guard had helicopters and boats there after us 1 night. We were all balled up in corners of the house while the helicopters were shinning spot lights in there. There must of been about 25 of us in this house and all you could see were people running down the tressel and then ass and elbows running down the train tracks. Needless to say we didn't go back there again. The house is longer there either.

Edited by T_bone65

Did some of the things mentioned, so I'll just add one more that is a bit different. We used to climb 3 story buildings (a church and the Jr high school) using only the down spouts of the leader and gutter systems. Then we would run around on top of the roof which were pretty steep. One kid slipped and just caught himself before he went over the edge. We thought he went off, and was probably dead. That was the last time we did it.

Oh, one more. We would put all sorts of stuff on the RR tracks. Pennies, then moved up to 2X4's and all sorts of stuff. Little did we know we could have derailed a train with some of the stuff we tried. 2X4 shards would shoot 50 feet into the air and sounded like an explosive.

Edited by Rovers

I spent Jr. High on the top of a mountain just outside Pt. Arena, California. We use to see who could build the highest tree forts. Easily 100 feet+ on some of those trees, hammer in one hand, peanut butter and jelly sandwich in the other and a pocket full of nails.

In high school there was a train bridge that went over the Red River from Fargo to Moorhead. You could take the tracks about 1/4 mile and get under the bridge on the Fargo side coulmn. Train would be inches over your head as it went over the bridge. We tried train hopping but the dudes has sand blasters of some sort and would shoot at us. No thrill seeking there, just a place to go where the cops were sure to not find you.

We also used to love to go south of town when we lived in Fargo to trip and hang-out in this old Wagoneer as a blizzard would hit town. Very lucky we never got stuck and froze to death.

I thought it would be fun to take a dip in the Des Moines River when I was about 6 or 7. Keep in mind that several people have been killed on this river by not respecting its power. Our summer camp took us on a trip to the river and it seemed like a good idea at the time. I inched down the bank toward the water, but eventually came to my senses. I tried to turn around and slipped into the water over my head. The undertow ripped the shoes right off my feet! Thankfully I clawed onto some weeds or something and pulled myself up onto the bank. I remember the daycare people freaking out. It didn't seem like it was that dangerous at the time but when I think about it now, I was pretty lucky.

well see some childhood experiences are the same, shooting BB guns, homemade blowdarts at each other. We used to "ski" down the irrigation canals in our area. We'd get my buddy's XR 75 hook up about 50-75 feet of rope and pull some skier down the canal. Most canals were only 15-20 feet wide. How nobody got hurt was a miracle,but the worst thing I can remember was accidentally torching a farmers old barn. Friends and i were out shooting BB guns at each other and decided to take a break. We went into the farmers barn, snooped around a little then a friend decided to start a little campfire (this happened during our xmas break). well needless to say one of the "logs' we threw on was soaked in kerosene or some highly flammable liquid. next thing we had the side of the barn a blazed. Think three engines responded to that blaze. took them about a week to figure out the culprits. And boy do I remember getting my backside tanned by the old man over that.

stealing beer out of garages.....this is what got my rights read to me (see above post) at my kitchen table.

we would case the neighborhood around dusk, on our bikes, to see who had a fridge in the garage and left their garage door open.

we would return in my friends van, after ir got dark, to transport our 'goods'...

we were VERY successful and had a huge stash buried (to keep it cool) in the woods.

this one night, about 2 miles from my house, we went back to a house we had hit before.

problem was, the dude was waiting for us, set us up.

my friend took the lead and went into the garage. i waited on the sidewalk, as lookout.

as soon as my friend was in the garage and opened the fridge door, BANG! the lights came on

and the owner shot out of the house and into the garage! swearing his f'n head off!!

i never ran so fast in my life! i took off up the street, scared as hell but laughing at the same time.

my friend ran to the van and jumped in, driver waiting for him.

the owner jumped in his car and chased the van. he caught them a few blocks away.

i didnt stop running till i was a couple blocks from my house. i figured i got away. i did.

until the doorbell rang. when the doorbell rings at 9:30 at night, it's not a good thing.

my dad opens the door and there stands the detective (who i knew well from previous chit). i couldn't believe it! i knew i got away.

turns out my 'friends' ratted on me. i didn't talk to either of them for a long time, i couldn't believe they sold me out.

i was grounded for more than a month.

but sitting there, in my own kitchen, with a detective reading me my rights and threatening to send me away

to a detention school for troubled youth, well, i didn't steal no more beer after that....

good times....and when you are athe youngest of 3 boys all within 3 1/2 years of each other, trouble follows. :wacko: