[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

HDMI Question

Big F'n Dave

Best bang for your buck has to be Onkyo

Depends on your ears and what you like. Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha all make quality receivers at reasonable prices (until you get to the very high end stuff). I think I'd pass on just about anything else they make.

+1

Check out the HT-RC160. I got one just this week. Read this thread from a popular AV message board.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1167219

MSRP list price is $550 and Fry's sells it for $500, but you can pick one up for much less than that. I got mine at Costco for $300.

shoponkyo.com usually has some very nice deals on refurbs....right now they don't have much available but that is unusual from all the other times i have checked

neither am I, but their cheap home theater receivers are really not that bad. I am a music/audio snob, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I have an upscale Yammy receiver and it rocks. I'd get another but would also look very hard at Denon and Onkyo.

I had a Onkyo receiver and CD changer long ago when Ciruit City first came to Dallas...the receiver was inexpensive and well worth the money but the cd changer was not very good. I have a Motorola Cable box and for some reason Yamaha is totally compatible where the Sony receiver will not upconvert well on HD channels and the picture will black out while the sound is still on. I would imagine Onkyo has a pretty good HD receiver for theater and sports.

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

I had a Onkyo receiver and CD changer long ago when Ciruit City first came to Dallas...the receiver was inexpensive and well worth the money but the cd changer was not very good. I have a Motorola Cable box and for some reason Yamaha is totally compatible where the Sony receiver will not upconvert well on HD channels and the picture will black out while the sound is still on. I would imagine Onkyo has a pretty good HD receiver for theater and sports.

Different models of the Onkyo offer different functionality, especially to HD upconverting. The reason I like Onkyos is because they use Burr Back audio DACs which are good. Again, not all Onkyos do this, so its hard to compare one model to the other.

HK is way under rated. They make quality stuff.

I was about to say the same thing. That's a nice rig policy has and one that his kids should be able to beat into the dirt once they get to college. :wacko: