[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"Netbook" vs laptop - what's the diff

BeeR

Any? This is from Best Buy, that hotbed of customer service:

A netbook is a compact, streamlined mobile device designed for the Internet, so you can stay connected on the go. Get up-to-date news, the latest scores and weather information, access your e-mail and social networking sites, and enjoy digital videos, photos and music.

Netbooks may look like laptops, but they don't have the full capabilities of a computer.

They have a link which says "click here to see the diffs" but after about a half hour (or so it seemed) of some incredibly idiotic advertising video which told me NOTHING about the diffs I gave up.

So what if any diff's are there besides size? None as far as I can tell.

Any? This is from Best Buy, that hotbed of customer service:

They have a link which says "click here to see the diffs" but after about a half hour (or so it seemed) of some incredibly idiotic advertising video which told me NOTHING about the diffs I gave up.

So what if any diff's are there besides size? None as far as I can tell.

I think Netbooks generally have weaker processing and memory and are meant to pretty much just surf the net and do email and the like.

Netbooks:

- Much lower power consumption

- 10-12 inch screens

- very small form factor

- no CD/DVD drive

They are ideal for people who want quick access to email/web, especially if you are on the go.

I almost bought one last weekend and opted for a laptop for the same price at the last second. I was very interested in lower power and the durability that would come from being more compact with less moving parts, but in the end I wanted more speed and a DVD burner.

Ah no CD, got it - do any come with a CD or is that a standard "netbook thing" - ?

Standard netbook thing. It's a great complimentary computer. I take it traveling, use it around the house, or when I don't want to have a cord connected to the wall. It's great for online stuff and typing up stuff. It definitely doesn't have the power of our other computers, but I don't need it for that.

Thx all. What kind of batter time can you get out of it (ie w/o recharging)?

Mine has a 6-cell battery. It gets around 7-8 hours on it per charge, or at least that's what the little battery icon in the corner tells me. Whatever it is, it's a lot longer than my laptop.

"S.O" just got a Gateway. Even comes with built-in webcam and mic - not exactly a necessity but kinda nice to have thrown in. Dinky little thing, I can see how it could be handy and a lot better to cart around than a full-up laptop.