[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Holiday concotions

rajncajn

We make "Apple Jacks," which is apple cider and Jack Daniels simmered on the stove with a few cinnamon sticks thrown in. Very tasty.

ya ever try those Jack Daniels wood chips.....thought it was a joke till i opened the bag :wacko: like smellin straight whisky...i gave'm away cause Jack hates my stomach :D

We make "Apple Jacks," which is apple cider and Jack Daniels simmered on the stove with a few cinnamon sticks thrown in. Very tasty.

I retired Jack ...too many mornings after with my head feeling like it was in a vise and my pants missing :wacko:

Edited by isleseeya

When watermelons went out of season, we replaced our watermelon margarita with a drink I named El Otono. We're infusing gold tequilla with grated pumpkin, ginger, and cinnamon and mixing that with tamarind syrup, orange juice, and lemon juice for an autumnal margarita that's pretty freaking epic.

Thinking it's going to carry over into winter and I'm going to have some answering to do when we yank it next spring for a more seasonally appropriate drink.

. We're infusing gold tequilla with grated pumpkin, ginger, and cinnamon and mixing that with tamarind syrup, orange juice, and lemon juice for an autumnal margarita that's pretty freaking epic.

wow

I NEVER would have tried those flavor combos together, sounds terrible . . . . but often that is how some great dishes/drinks are made. . .

Also tequila isnt a huge seller in my neck of the woods . . . makes more sense for your restaurant/clientele . .

wow

I NEVER would have tried those flavor combos together, sounds terrible . . . . but often that is how some great dishes/drinks are made. . .

Also tequila isnt a huge seller in my neck of the woods . . . makes more sense for your restaurant/clientele . .

Guessing Rick Bayless moves a few bottles here and there.

That said, think about the culinary progression. The citrus part is easy, right. Citrus and tequila. Tamarind and citrus, same deal. Now, we're talking gold tequila, so warm spices are totally in play. It's almost whiskey.

People have a mindset about tequila and tropical drinks just because it's associated with tropical places. But once you take it out of Mexico, it's just another form of booze.

I would love to hear some of your other non-traditional flavor combos detlef.

Up here in Yankee country, most tequila is drowned in sugared strawberry puree or done in shots. bayless probably moves some tequila, but the kind of creatove bend you have is what is interesting to me . . .

That said, think about the culinary progression. The citrus part is easy, right. Citrus and tequila. Tamarind and citrus, same deal. Now, we're talking gold tequila, so warm spices are totally in play. It's almost whiskey.

People have a mindset about tequila and tropical drinks just because it's associated with tropical places. But once you take it out of Mexico, it's just another form of booze.

Even with a gold tequila, pumpkin and cinnamon sound like a stretch. The citrus and tamarind sound right. . . what kind of gold tequila do you use? I would think that an anejo would work well with those spices, but agaon . . I am by no means a tequila expert

Even with a gold tequila, pumpkin and cinnamon sound like a stretch. The citrus and tamarind sound right. . . what kind of gold tequila do you use? I would think that an anejo would work well with those spices, but agaon . . I am by no means a tequila expert

We use a tasty but inexpensive one called Degallado (I wouldn't waste anything fancy on an infusion). Keep in mind also that every ingredient is very common in Mexican cuisine. It's pretty hard to go wrong when you stay regionally appropriate.

Regardless, the proof is in the pudding. The drink is effing delicious and we can barely make the infusion fast enough to keep up with the demand. Until we started making what we initially figured would be obscenely large batches, we routinely ran out for days until the next batch was ready.

Good tequila is very nice for sipping. I know you know...but It always makes me wonder why people have such a hard time discovering this. It's great stuff!

A nice spiced holiday drink is easy to come by if you can find some Chaucers Mead. Comes with a spice packet. Just heat with the packet in the mead and serve. A good crockpot with a "warm" setting is nice for this.

Good tequila is very nice for sipping. I know you know...but It always makes me wonder why people have such a hard time discovering this. It's great stuff!

A nice spiced holiday drink is easy to come by if you can find some Chaucers Mead. Comes with a spice packet. Just heat with the packet in the mead and serve. A good crockpot with a "warm" setting is nice for this.

I think that Patron allows one to do this even more ...never found a smoother Tequila and easier one to drink than Patron

I think that Patron allows one to do this even more ...never found a smoother Tequila and easier one to drink than Patron

It depends on your palate I think. I personally like the Resposado by Patron over the Silver and the Anejo. We had all three this past weekend in a side by side tasting. I also think that the Don Julio line is pretty damn tasty as a sipper; again, I'm partial to the Resposado. If you are a little more budget conscious, Casadorres is pretty tasty as is the Sauza Tres Generationes.

I love Don Julio on the rocks with a couple lime wedges.

First time I have thought to use tequila in seasonal "winter-ish" concoctions . . ..

We have the DJ Anejo at the bar and I actually prefer it to the far more expensive Jose C Familia. Now, the DJ 1942 on the other hand. That's some nice chight.

It depends on your palate I think. I personally like the Resposado by Patron over the Silver and the Anejo. We had all three this past weekend in a side by side tasting. I also think that the Don Julio line is pretty damn tasty as a sipper; again, I'm partial to the Resposado. If you are a little more budget conscious, Casadorres is pretty tasty as is the Sauza Tres Generationes.

.......... and i tend to prefer the anejos.

We have the DJ Anejo at the bar and I actually prefer it to the far more expensive Jose C Familia. Now, the DJ 1942 on the other hand. That's some nice chight.

jackpot!