[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

FF strategy changes for next year and on

Goopster24

Strategy in drafting and managing teams has changed over the years, especially due to how teams are using players now and how offenses are being designed. You look at the running backs in the league and only a handful are the designated GUYS on their team (Peterson, CJ now, Jones-Drew, etc.). Wide receivers are being drafted higher now and people are gambling with taking chances on RB's later, sometimes coming up big with picks like Ricky this year and Beanie.

I know for me, I will give strong looks towards WR's in the first round, no matter my position. If I have a top pick, I'll take the stud RB's but I wouldn't mind drafting two WR's with a late pick back to back and again taking chances on the number of sleeper RB's out there now it seems.

Also, one thing I've always done in my local is draft quarterbacks late. It's really hurt me this year and I know I cannot afford to do that in this age of prolific passing teams in the NFL. I wanted Rodgers, couldn't get him, and then waited late and took Hasselbeck, who has been up and down and was cut from my team for a little, only to be picked up again.

What are strategy changes you will make next year for FF, if any? What have you noticed changing in the way we should draft/manage teams? What mistakes have you made that you know you can't afford to make next year?

So much depends on the scoring system... but I also think going QB earlier will be the way to go. I'll be going heavier on WR early as well, vs the old RB, RB strategy especially in PPR leagues. I'll spend a higher draft pick on RB handcuffs too. This year it actually paid off to start two RB's on the same team, like Rice/MaGahee and Ricky/Ronnie.

I seem to go rb/wr with my first two pick the last couple of seasons and waiting for a QB in rds. 5-8 and have had some success. Last year I went Barber/TO and targeted Thomas Jones as my second RB and it turned oujt to be money especially with River as my QB(got him in a later rd as well)...This year I had the 2nd pick and went with MJD and when it came back around took 2 wr's with S. Smith/Boldin :wacko: but it's starting to come around now. A stud RB with a top tier WR has been working for me and think I'll continue with that strategy, although it all can can change if I don't like any RB left on the board when it gets to me

I'll have to wait until the playoffs to see if wr-wr paid off for the people who tried it.

You still have to run the ball in cold weather. I swear snow will fall somewhere soon...

From a personal point of view, I will want an every-down back who also stays in for goal-line work. MJD, CJ, Sjax, AP, Rice, Gore are all young, don't share, and their offenses are centered around them. Hard to pass up in PPR. Otherwise it's WR for me. But at pick 5, faced with Sjax, Gore, or Fitz/AJ? I hate injury-prone round 1 players. I'd probably start taking WR at pick 5.

What are strategy changes you will make next year for FF, if any? What have you noticed changing in the way we should draft/manage teams? What mistakes have you made that you know you can't afford to make next year?

will work on that in july. will look at stats (see where the tiers lie) and see how mocks go.

It seems more people went higher on WRs and QBs this year than in a long time - given the spotty play of some of the upper WRs I'm not sure I'll follow that trend, but of course some RBs have been spotty too (eg Forte :wacko: ). Anyway basically I don't plan to change anything since I adjust year/year.

Edited by BeeR

WR/WR next year for me unless I get a top 5 pick. QB will be picked earlier as well. 5th round probably but possibly as high as 4th. RBs are more of a crapshoot than ever and after the top 4 or so they are all risky\speculative.

I had Dallas Clark last year and it paid off with his great year but I drafted him too high this year. There are more and more good TE players every year it seems so I won't be reaching for one.

We have to play a TE in our league.

In my league, the scoring heavily favors RB's who catch beyond the PPR scoring.....I focus on those players along with doinf what I did this year and that's taking a top QB and WR early....unless someone slips to me...

In all honesty, I can't really say what I'll do next years draft until it rolls around because so much changes between even now and week 16....and then after that....and then TC injuries...

so much changes and all I can do is try to adjust...

and more importantly....I'll have to expect next year to be nothing like this year....

so if anything.....go RB/RB next year if I can :wacko:

Unless I have a top 4 pick, I am going WR in the first round.

I've learned my lesson. Granted I have Brokentron, but given the Motor City Kitties' putrid offensive track record the past few years, I'll definitely target an elite WR in the first 2 rounds.

I do like an early QB but not a first round pick. In every league I'm in I waited until the second or third round (depending on what was still on the board) to target one of four QBs and then in the early mid rounds when everyone was targeting a QB or TE I took RBs and to a lesser extent WRs. Pretty much every mid round WR hasn't worked out but the RBs have put my teams over the top. Some of the RBs were flops too (see L Johnson's worthless ass) but the guys like Benson and Rice have been HUGE.

Waiting on a TE was also the right move to make, I'm pretty sure I didn't draft a TE before the 13th round in any league but I was able to end up with V. Davis in a few leagues and Shiancoe in the others and I think next year will be even better with the emergence of guys like Finley and Pettigrew.