[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Homemade Hash Browns

Chief Dick

OK. So I make my own hash browns from scratch. I grate the potatoes, but when I cook them I have varying results. I'm looking for the brown and crispy, but not too crispy.

I typically use medium heat, with just a touch of oil, maybe 2 tablespoons per about 4 potatoes. I will usually try to get one side brown and crispy and attempt to flip the whole pan somewhat at the same time. The results vary.

Any tips? Higher heat? More oil?

I'm on the quest for the perfect homemade hash browns.

haven't done homemade hashbrowns in a while. usually just frozen stuff on the flattop. i do, however, frequently make swiss roesti (big potato pancake) at home. i basically heat skillet over med-high heat. add butter. add potato mixture. brown. flip. finish in the oven. turns out pretty crispy.

edit: you say you results are mixed. what is happening? too soggy? not staying together when flipping? sticking to pan?

Edited by Bier Meister

haven't done homemade hashbrowns in a while. usually just frozen stuff on the flattop. i do, however, frequently make swiss roesti (big potato pancake) at home. i basically heat skillet over med-high heat. add butter. add potato mixture. brown. flip. finish in the oven. turns out pretty crispy.

edit: you say you results are mixed. what is happening? too soggy? not staying together when flipping? sticking to pan?

Got soggy once, but I attribute that to too much oil. I also have the issue of them falling apart when flipping. I've used both a flat griddle and a skillet.

So, you use butter vs. oil? And when you finish them off in the oven, what's your temp?

Got soggy once, but I attribute that to too much oil. I also have the issue of them falling apart when flipping. I've used both a flat griddle and a skillet.

So, you use butter vs. oil? And when you finish them off in the oven, what's your temp?

i set the oven anywhere from 375-425. i've done them with oil also, so not imperative. a way to help bind it is to throw in 1 egg/ 2 potatoes. i don't happen to like eggs... this has little impact on the roesti's flavor. when i flip... i loosen the pancake. get a plate or cookie sheet.flip onto plate then use that to slide it back into the skillet.

also... for the roesti, i throw in diced cooked bacon, a little oil, s&p, either sauted onions or green onions. also good with shreaded cheese mixed in

i set the oven anywhere from 375-425. i've done them with oil also, so not imperative. a way to help bind it is to throw in 1 egg/ 2 potatoes. i don't happen to like eggs... this has little impact on the roesti's flavor. when i flip... i loosen the pancake. get a plate or cookie sheet.flip onto plate then use that to slide it back into the skillet.

also... for the roesti, i throw in diced cooked bacon, a little oil, s&p, either sauted onions or green onions. also good with shreaded cheese mixed in

Thanks M. I'll give it a go tomorrow.

This thread makes me smile only because every saturday my son who is 2.5 knows that it;s hash brown day. Every Friday I tell him tomorrow is SAT - TURD - DAY and he smiles and says "daddy, tomorrow is hash brown day" We drive up to McDonalds, just the two of us and order 3 hash browns. He eats 2 and I eat 1 - we have our moment then drive home.

Wouldn't give it up for a minute...sorry, had to tell.

I have found when making grated hash browns from scratch, squeeze as much water out of the grated potatoes as possible use a cheese cloth if handy.

+1

plus i'd maybe go med/high on temp. use butter...not oil.

Edited by buddahj

This thread makes me smile only because every saturday my son who is 2.5 knows that it;s hash brown day. Every Friday I tell him tomorrow is SAT - TURD - DAY and he smiles and says "daddy, tomorrow is hash brown day" We drive up to McDonalds, just the two of us and order 3 hash browns. He eats 2 and I eat 1 - we have our moment then drive home.

Wouldn't give it up for a minute...sorry, had to tell.

:wacko:

That's great. It's moments like those when I pray to God: "Please don't make them grow up."

Well Bier, they were much better today. I did them pretty close to your suggestions, but I only added onions to the taters. Didn't want to freak the kids out yet with other stuff. Finishing off in the oven did the trick.

And also getting the water out of the taters was a good suggestion also. Thanks gop for that idea.

this isn't too bad. because we have a little one running around i kept it easy and did some things during the day.

gelato i did yesterday so wouldn't have to worry about it.

the chevre needs to be staged a little bit:

- cut a log of chevre into even pieces.

- freezer for about 20 min or so

- three stage breading (used panko instead of reg bread crumbs)

- back into freezer for a 20 min

- fry until golden. set aside and store in fridge

- with oven at 450 it only takes about 2-5 min to finish in oven

roesti:

a large potato gives me 2 the size i like using.

- grate potatoes.

- i use 1 egg for every 2 potatoes

- drizzle 1-2 tbs of truffle oil

- hti with some herbs (i used italian tonight), s&p

- get pan hot.

- add butter

- form a little ball with potato mix, squeeze liquid out

- flatten in pan to about 3/4 inch thick

- saute until brown. flip. brown. set aside.

- so i make my batch and leave on a baking sheet in fridge

- takes about 10 min to re-crisp in oven

closer to when i want to serve...

sauce:

- sweat minced shallots

- added 3/4 c white port and 3/4 c beef stock (or broth), and 1/4 c red wine

- reduce to 2/3. add 1-2 oz cream

- here i just simmered slowly until i was closer to putting my steak on a plate

- when i am about 2 min away i go high heat to get the consitancy i want.

dressings are usually pretty quick, so i just throw that together a 1/2 hr or so before i want to give out salads.

anglaise i did about an hour before dinner... takes a little time to cool.

edit: the kitchen teaches efficiency. i just know how long things will take. so i know that when i start my custard (anglaise) i can get my dressing done before it scalds. then i give that sauce my attention. when i put the anglaise in the fridge to cool i can cut the chevre and put in the fridge... then start my potatoes. when potatoes are done. can three stage the cheese..............

Well Bier, they were much better today. I did them pretty close to your suggestions, but I only added onions to the taters. Didn't want to freak the kids out yet with other stuff. Finishing off in the oven did the trick.

And also getting the water out of the taters was a good suggestion also. Thanks gop for that idea.

good news. let me know what we can do to get them where you want them.

good news. let me know what we can do to get them where you want them.

I'm pretty happy with them actually. I cooked them on a flat electric griddle this morning. I would probably change to a saute pan next time with more heat to brown them quicker. Other than that, they were really good.

I think squeezing out the water and using butter instead of oil was the trick.

I'm pretty happy with them actually. I cooked them on a flat electric griddle this morning. I would probably change to a saute pan next time with more heat to brown them quicker. Other than that, they were really good.

I think squeezing out the water and using butter instead of oil was the trick.

skillet is better if you have one. better sear for this type of cooking

• 1 year later...

Par boil your potatoes whole, with skin on, just enough to where you can stick a fork into them. Drain and chill overnight in the fridge. Peel skin off with a knife, then grate. Cook using real butter until crispy, then turn over. Best hashbrowns you will ever have....100% gauranteed.