[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My math ain't so hot

Cunning Runt

Which of these two records is better?

13-10-1

13-9-2

I honestly don't know.

We play doubleheaders weekly.

ps - save the "decimal scoring" comments. My first year in the league - last second type thing. I'll get the decimal thing instituted for next year if I stay in it.

Edited by Cunning Runt

Which of these two records is better?

13-10-1

13-9-2

I honestly don't know.

We play doubleheaders weekly.

13-9-2, assuming the standard 2 points for a win, one for a tie and none for a loss.

Myfantasyleague.com

Is that how they score it?

Not sure, we use RTsports, but almost everyone does it that way. What's really weird is when you have a team that's 10-3-0 in second place behind a team that's 9-1-3, even though they have fewer wins. That sort of bothers me.

Not sure, we use RTsports, but almost everyone does it that way. What's really weird is when you have a team that's 10-3-0 in second place behind a team that's 9-1-3, even though they have fewer wins. That sort of bothers me.

With a tie being 1/2 win and 1/2 loss, the 9-1-3 record is equivalent to 10-2-1, which is 1/2 game better than 10-3-0.

With a tie being 1/2 win and 1/2 loss, the 9-1-3 record is equivalent to 10-2-1, which is 1/2 game better than 10-3-0.

I just disagree that two ties is the same as a win. A win is a win, and a tie is just not losing. IMO, the team with the most wins should be in 1st.

Edited by STL Fan

So 1-11 would be better than a team that tied all of it's games?

Sure, 'cause that would be real common. :wacko:

ETA - Of course that would mean eliminating all the other teams in the league, that would obviously have far more wins than one, but whatever.

Edited by STL Fan

Well, if you score .05 or .04 for passing yards, would that make it even more less likely?

Yes. Twenty and twenty-five respectively. :wacko:

Big John will be along shortly to tell me my :D is out of place and should be a :D because a tie is probably way less likely than that

Well if you were talking randomly generated numbers, I think Ursa is correct. However, probability in these cases is harder to judge because you aren't looking at randomly generated numbers. I'd say its essentially a standard normal distribution (the bell curve) for most fantasy scoring systems. So, the distribution will depend on the system, number of starters, etc. Scores between say 70 and 100 may account for 1 standard deviation from a mean of 85 in one system, but 80 to 120 with a mean of 100 in a different system. The first league is more likely to have ties than the second because scoring is packed tighter in a range of 30 (100-70) vs. 40 (120-80), but without knowing the exact shape of the curve, I don't think you can say conclusively how less likely decimal scoring will make ties.

You also have the trouble that the right tail will be longer than the left, so its not an exactly normal distribution, but that's a whole other level I never learned.

:wacko:

Edited by The Irish Doggy

Well if you were talking randomly generated numbers, I think Ursa is correct. However, probability in these cases is harder to judge because you aren't looking at randomly generated numbers. I'd say its essentially a standard normal distribution (the bell curve) for most fantasy scoring systems. So, the distribution will depend on the system, number of starters, etc. Scores between say 70 and 100 may account for 1 standard deviation from a mean of 85 in one system, but 80 to 120 with a mean of 100 in a different system. The first league is more likely to have ties than the second because scoring is packed tighter in a range of 30 (100-70) vs. 40 (120-80), but without knowing the exact shape of the curve, I don't think you can say conclusively how less likely decimal scoring will make ties.

You also have the trouble that the right tail will be longer than the left, so its not an exactly normal distribution, but that's a whole other level I never learned.

Yep. Why I can't correct Ursa. :D

Edited by Big John

Well described. My answer depends on scoring being linear but of course it isn't.