[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hines Ward

budlitebrad

I guess a few consecutive losses is all it takes for Ward to pull a T.O. :wacko:

Really surprising to see him take a shot his QB for not playing against the Ravens. I'm sure they'll squash it in the press, but I'd be upset if I were Ben, especially after all the success they've had since he was drafted. I've always considered him one of the toughest QBs in the league and sitting out this week doesn't sway my opinion at all. Obviously Hines believes that lying to the doctors so you can play makes you tough, but concussions are a completely different issue.

Thoughts from the Steelers fans?

The announcers said Ben was lobbying to get in the lineup on Saturday night and Tomlin was having no part of it :wacko: When did Hines call him out ?

Edited by whomper

The announcers said Ben was lobbying to get in the lineup on Saturday night and Tomlin was having no part of it :wacko: When did Hines call him out ?

An interview that played right before the game. I think Hines had some poor choices of words in that interview but I am not so sure that he was calling out BB. I mean don't get me wrong, I thought what Hines said was not so great but I don't think it was the attack that they made it out to be. :D

Airing out issues in the media is weak. I can't see where this won't cause issues. :wacko: to HInes.

:D

Steelers Notebook: Ward admits locker room '50-50' on Roethlisberger

Monday, November 30, 2009

By Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Peter Diana/Post-Gazette

Steeler wide receiver Hines Ward had three receptions for 47 yards last night during a 20-17 loss to the Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore.

BALTIMORE -- If Hines Ward's words sounded cutting in an interview aired before the game, he later explained they were merely spoken in frustration.

In a taped interview with Bob Costas aired beforehand on NBC's "Football Night in America," the Steelers' all-time leading receiver talked about the locker room being "like a 50-50 toss-up" over whether quarterback Ben Roethlisberger should have played last night despite a concussion from seven days earlier. Ward talked about lying to team doctors on occasions when he suffered from concussion symptoms and how many NFL players overlook them, statements that league officials won't relish reading and hearing amid an increased effort to protect players from such life-altering injuries. And he talked in such a way that his predecessor as the player voted the league's dirtiest, NBC analyst Rodney Harrison, criticized Ward for questioning his team leader's toughness.

"This game is almost like a playoff game. It's almost a must-win. I could see some players or teammates questioning, like 'It's just a concussion. I've played with a concussion before,'" Ward told Costas in an interview taped Saturday at the team's suburban-Baltimore hotel as a prelude to the Steelers-Ravens game last night at M&T Bank Stadium and on NBC.

"It's almost like a 50-50 toss-up in the locker room: Should he play? Shouldn't he play? It's really hard to say. I've been out there dinged up; the following week, got right back out there. Ben practiced all week. He split time with Dennis Dixon. And then to find out that he's still having some headaches and not playing and it came down to the doctors didn't feel that they were going to clear him or not -- it's hard to say. Unless you're the person [himself]. ... I've lied to a couple of doctors saying I'm straight, I feel good when I know that I'm not really straight."

After a 20-17 overtime loss to Baltimore, Ward attempted to set the record straight:

"I mean, you know, you really don't want to mess around with concussions. Guys have concussions and still play. But you got to look at the whole, big picture. When your health comes into question, you've got to look at the long-term effect. When I said that, I really wasn't saying that negative toward Ben. But you have to be concerned about it. You don't know what the future may hold. ...

"Wish we had him out there. But we didn't."

As for the interview itself, Ward mentioned that the timing of the Roethlisberger decision on Saturday morning confused most of the locker room.

"That's where the frustrating part is," Ward said. "A lot of guys didn't find out until Saturday [morning]. It was very shocking to a lot of guys on this team."

Fellow receiver Santonio Holmes continued: "Only [No.] 7 knows how he feels right now. It was coach's decision to not play him. We wanted him to play. We felt like he could play -- that's only the way we felt. He felt like he couldn't go, so he didn't go. We just got to get the job done."

Roethlisberger said afterward: "I wanted to go out there and play. But the doctors told me it wasn't a good decision. Then, the coaches told me the same thing. So I wasn't playing."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09334/10173...m#ixzz0YMHIfXCJ

Hines should view some footage of how Al Toon's post-football life is progressing or that of many others.

Actually, good ol' Al is doing okay these days. NY Newsday Article But it sounds like took him like 10 or so years to finally get there.

Back to Big Ben:

So I heard that Roethlisberger ran into Brian Westbrook at a rest stop off I-95 in Delaware late Sunday and asked him: "Yo Westy, you worried about all this post-concussion stuff that can happen to NFL players?" Westbrook said "Doesn't really scare me, I'm a helicopter."

Sorry.

I saw the interview. I don't think Ward meant it exactly the way its being taken. His body language and tone didn't fit with someone trying to call out a teammate. He made a very poor choice of words for sure, but regardless of intent, it doesn't come off well. I bet he wishes he could have that one back.

They were tlaking to Mike Ditka about it this morning, and Ditka noted that when he played, the doctor would hold up three fingers, and if you said "two" they'd send you back out there because you had recognized that he was holding up some fingers.

Just to avoid any misinterpretation, Ditka was not saying that Roethlisberger should have played - just the opposite in fact. But I thought that anecdote was pretty funny.

Actually, good ol' Al is doing okay these days. NY Newsday Article But it sounds like took him like 10 or so years to finally get there.

Back to Big Ben:

So I heard that Roethlisberger ran into Brian Westbrook at a rest stop off I-95 in Delaware late Sunday and asked him: "Yo Westy, you worried about all this post-concussion stuff that can happen to NFL players?" Westbrook said "Doesn't really scare me, I'm a helicopter."

Sorry.

:D I'm friggen' cryin' here! :wacko:

I had to watch the interview twice to get any hint of Ward throwing Roth under the bus.

As said above, Ward's body language, intent, and even words didn't trash Roth.

BUT, and it's a big BUTT (hehe), the defensive comments, in the article above that Menudo posted,

are more damning than the interview, for me. Holmes too.

He (they) sure didn't make any apologies or clear things up.....

very, very, very surprising to hear this....makes me wonder if things have been simmering for awhile.

very, very, very surprising to hear this....makes me wonder if things have been simmering for awhile.

I'm not sure about that. When you lose, this kind of stuff tends to get overblown. Unfortunately for the Steelers, the bar is set so high that if you are just over .500 with a 3rd string QB losing in an OT away game, that's close enough.

• 4 months later...
Maybe it wasn't Hines that was the problem in the locker room...

Truth.

Hines Ward is known for all the great things he does for the community off the field. There is no arguing it anymore, Ben is a first-class d-bag, and I wish he wasn't the QB of my favorite team. His actions are a complete embarrassment.