[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone else get this Advanced Virus Remover crap Sunday?

Gilm

I was on the web with my fantasy windows open for just over an hour yesterday morning and found a nice little virus called Advanced Virus Remover had found it's way to my pc. I thought it was just me but I talked to one of my good buddies and he got the same deal. Just curious if it is possibly the Huddle or a Sportsline or Myfantasyleague issue?

So this is one of the worst viruses that I have had to deal with. A real pain in the rear and it cut into my football watching so I'm on a vengence. I work in the IT industry so I've seen a bunch - this is one of the worst ones yet. Problem being it disables any windows programs like your registry or task manager. Even disabled me from booting to safe mode.

How to remove:

Download the software Malware Bytes. You can get from cnet.com and then downloads. You will see that it is one of the most recommended.

Run it - you will probably need to burn to cd or copy to usb memory from another pc. Try to update the software. Then run a full scan through Malware Bytes.

If you are not running malware bytes now - it is one of the better ones out there for free stuff.

Removal instruction link:

http://www.411-spyware.com/remove-advanced-virus-remover

Download malware bytes:

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti...stPopTwoColWrap

I hope none of you see this and never have to deal with it. I want to keep thehuddle and other ffl sites fun for all of us so I hope whoever gets it figured out if they are to blame.

Thanks for the info and advice about Malwarebytes. It is indeed one of the top free VP packages out there. The Sunday morning issue was discussed in the Support forums here but I'm not sure about the Advanced Virus Remover infection. That isn't what was discovered to have been a problem here. But who knows. These things can be pretty stealthy and come from anywhere.

If you're talking about the Advanced Virus Remover Pro thing, I also got hit with it Sunday. I had a bunch of windows open, so I'm not sure if it came from here or somewhere else. After a lot of work with regedit, the help of Rkill, and running Malware Bytes several times, I finally removed the virus. Problem is, it has left behind a broswer hijacker that redirects me every time I try to click on a link from any search engine. I'm reformatting my laptop as we speak. Very nasty, nasty virus indeed.

Edited by Skrappy1
If you're talking about the Advanced Virus Remover Pro thing, I also got hit with it Sunday. I had a bunch of windows open, so I'm not sure if it came from here or somewhere else. After a lot of work with regedit, the help of Rkill, and running Malware Bytes several times, I finally removed the virus. Problem is, it has left behind a broswer hijacker that redirects me every time I try to click on a link from any search engine. I'm reformatting my laptop as we speak. Very nasty, nasty virus indeed.

you should try and run hijackthis first

you should try and run hijackthis first

I did, but couldn't find anything that I myself could pin down to be the problem within the resulting log. I ended up posting the log on a forum recommended by Hijackthis, but it looked as though they were inundated with people with similar problems and were taking about a week and a half to initially respond, and even then it seemed like a lengthy process to maybe eventually get rid of the problem. I just couldn't wait that long to get my laptop back, nor take the chance that there would still be some kind of key-logging bug still present, so I decided to bite the bullet and reformat. It sucked, but seemed to me like the best available option.

I got this on my parents PC as well. I couldn't even install Malaware bytes. Nothing happened when I double-clicked the install file I downloaded from another PC. I also can't get into safe mode. It just reboots again when I select it. Arrrgh!

Edited by electricrelish