[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Most Season Points For.....

Double D

I have seen the top total points guy have the worst head to head record in the league.

Some guys have the most points because they had 2-3 blow up weeks and the rest were inconsistent low scoring weeks. If your team was consistent, maybe you would have won a few more games. (not speaking to anyone in general here)

Play a points league if you want points to matter

Play a h2h if you want the randomness factor to even out great teams and good teams that get hot at the right time.

I wish we could get a better detail on these situations you all are so upset about. I personally overwhelmingly prefer heat-to-head.

There could be a rational reason for a high soring team not winning - he starts out with a very strong lineup, no depth, scores tons of points in 1st third of season, loses several player to injury, doesn't have backups or skill to replace them, ends up losing many games at the end of the season very closely.

Or a team drafts poorly, loses a bunch early, makes deft (maybe lucky) FA pickups (Austin, Ricky W, etc), suddenly starts to score a lot, but can't catch up to the more steady teams.

Or a team does have rotten luck, always barely losing to a team that has their highest score for the year that week.

I think that in the first two instances, the H-T-H format has produced a better playoff team than total points would have. Only in the third case could you make an argument for the points guy getting screwed. So if all of the above instances fall into the 1st two catergories I say good, the HTH format worked. If the third one keeps happening in your league, add a Total Points playoff spot.

BTW, it also sounds like some of these leagues use divisions without making sure that every team plays every other team, or that division teams play each other a fixed number of times. Elae how could a division winner be 5-9 or whatever if everyone is playing a rational schedule? In my 14 team league, everybody plays everybody once. In my 12 team league with divisions, everybody plays each division team twice, and every other team once. In a 12 team league without divisions everybody plays each other once with two more 'random' games. In all of these leagues almost always the top scoring teams and the top HTH records are the same teams - not necesarily in the same order but good enough to have the top scorers always in the playoffs.

I am not sure if this happens much but I am 7-5 with the most points scored (most points scored against me also) and I may not get into the playoffs. The team behind me is 6-5-1. If he wins (or ties) and I lose next week then I am out of the playoffs.

So much of fantasy football is your luck of schedule.

That's why my leagues always reward the Total Points Champion as the CHAMPION. It shouldn't be any other way. We do reward the Super Bowl Champion and division champions but they get about 15% the payout that the Total Points Champion gets. I would not play in a league that does it any other way.

I wish we could get a better detail on these situations you all are so upset about. I personally overwhelmingly prefer heat-to-head.

There could be a rational reason for a high soring team not winning - he starts out with a very strong lineup, no depth, scores tons of points in 1st third of season, loses several player to injury, doesn't have backups or skill to replace them, ends up losing many games at the end of the season very closely.

Or a team drafts poorly, loses a bunch early, makes deft (maybe lucky) FA pickups (Austin, Ricky W, etc), suddenly starts to score a lot, but can't catch up to the more steady teams.

Or a team does have rotten luck, always barely losing to a team that has their highest score for the year that week.

I think that in the first two instances, the H-T-H format has produced a better playoff team than total points would have. Only in the third case could you make an argument for the points guy getting screwed. So if all of the above instances fall into the 1st two catergories I say good, the HTH format worked. If the third one keeps happening in your league, add a Total Points playoff spot.

BTW, it also sounds like some of these leagues use divisions without making sure that every team plays every other team, or that division teams play each other a fixed number of times. Elae how could a division winner be 5-9 or whatever if everyone is playing a rational schedule? In my 14 team league, everybody plays everybody once. In my 12 team league with divisions, everybody plays each division team twice, and every other team once. In a 12 team league without divisions everybody plays each other once with two more 'random' games. In all of these leagues almost always the top scoring teams and the top HTH records are the same teams - not necesarily in the same order but good enough to have the top scorers always in the playoffs.

i believe i could give you an example of the third instance. like you, i'm in a 14-team redraft where everyone plays everyone once. i took the total points of all 14 teams, added them up and calculated the average per-week score, which is 121. i'm the top point-scorer, with 1709 points, or 142 per week. only twice -- week 1 and week 8, in which i lost both games -- did i score under the average. nine weeks, i scored at least 20 points more than average. but i'm only 6-6. in most of my wins, i slaughter the other team. in most of my losses, i had a great week, but the other guy had one a liiiittle bit better.

and despite all the whining i've done about this, i still prefer head-to-head. sometimes the luck goes my way, sometimes it doesn't.

i believe i could give you an example of the third instance. like you, i'm in a 14-team redraft where everyone plays everyone once. i took the total points of all 14 teams, added them up and calculated the average per-week score, which is 121. i'm the top point-scorer, with 1709 points, or 142 per week. only twice -- week 1 and week 8, in which i lost both games -- did i score under the average. nine weeks, i scored at least 20 points more than average. but i'm only 6-6. in most of my wins, i slaughter the other team. in most of my losses, i had a great week, but the other guy had one a liiiittle bit better.

and despite all the whining i've done about this, i still prefer head-to-head. sometimes the luck goes my way, sometimes it doesn't.

But, how if at all, did your team change during those loss weeks? Important guys on Bye, hurt; did your squad change much from one game to the next, etc? Did the other team suddenly get better from waivers, guys back from injury, etc? In other words is there any other explanation than just plain dumb luck?

this is not a direct comparison. in the NFL, one team can stop the other from scoring. the teams directly affect each other. in fantasy, i can't ask chris johnson to please stop wes welker from inflicting on me death from a thousand 7-yard passes.

Exactly. Unlike the NFL, you have no control over the performance of your opponents team. Furthermore, you don't set your FF line-up based on your FF opponent. You go for maximum points every week regardless of who you face.

But, how if at all, did your team change during those loss weeks? Important guys on Bye, hurt; did your squad change much from one game to the next, etc? Did the other team suddenly get better from waivers, guys back from injury, etc? In other words is there any other explanation than just plain dumb luck?

week 1 was a test of who i drafted. let's just say most of my current roster are not guys i drafted. week 8 was just a bad week.

my team has changed a lot -- i lost ronnie brown, i've gone through the mess with kurt warner, i've made some trades and i had to compensate for drafting LT with my first pick. still, i made the moves that kept my team scoring well above average week after week, despite byes and injuries.

so, yes, i would say i am muto-like in my fantasy football prowess but god hates me and wants me to lose.

so, yes, i would say i am muto-like in my fantasy football prowess but god hates me and wants me to lose.

Yes, yes He does! I feel your pain. I''m 3rd in pts for and 1st in pts against. The problem is my league breaks ties with H2H first and the guy getting in had 2 of his highest scoring weeks against me (even though he's 142 pts behind me) so he holds the tie breaker over me!!!!

Not surprisingly, this same owner is pissing and moaning over my suggestion of rewarding next years draft picks based on most points scored during the playoffs (weeks 14-16 for all teams regardless of whether they're in the playoffs or not). Our draft position is currently selected randomly online, so I thought it would be cool to keep everyone involved to the bitter end and put some sort of criteria other than random selection towards our draft picks! Not to mention we already get 1 keeper. He's obviously concerned that his putrid 2nd most points for average scoring will likely limit his draft position...even though he's in the freakin' playoffs!

The is likely me in my local BOTH league. Already missed the playoffs and barring 67.41 from GB Def or 33.12 from Mason Crosby I will be high score of the year. Also have the 3rd best all play record and was only high score of the week once.

Missed by 1 game and had quite a few games that were narrow losses including Week 3 where Indy was just trying to run the clock out at the end of the 4th quarter and end up 4th and around 7. Manning passes it to Wayne for the first down, and the extra points Wayne gets on that catch gave my opponent the .28 point win.