[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

CBO: Senate bill would increase individual insurance premiums...

This is similar to the argument for providing health care for more people. If we do it is going to cost more. If we don't more people die. I guess it is ok to spend my money to increase the entitlement class and those dependent on the government but it's not going to be ok to actually save lives if it cost a little bit more money.

Say what now? :wacko:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am calling horsecrap on some of that right now.

Some of the diagnostic machines they use are NOT that expensive, and have paid for themselves many, many times over.

A good friend of mine sells medical devices that are used for spinal surgeries. He openly admits that most of his stuff costs less than 1% of the price that is charged. he also uses allen wrenches he buys from a hardware store to make adjustements because they work better than the tools provided by the instruments themselves . . ..

A MRI machine costs between $1Million and $3Million depending on the size of the magnet. The RF shield required for MRI's will cost an additional $150,000 to $400,000 depending on the size of the magnet and the configuration of the room. The additional electrical service required is a extra $60,000 or so. The additional HVAC requirements are an extra $75,000. The premium to finish out the scan room with nonferrous materials is about $20%. The additional foundation requirements add about 30% to the cost of the foundation for that specific area. I've built somewhere between 15 and 20 MRI suites. CT's aren't quite as bad as they only require lead shielding and don't require as much electrically but you are probably still talking about $2 Million turn key, I've done 5 or 6 of them. CATH Labs fall somewhere in between initial cost wise, but have insane electrical requirements (consumption) I've built 8 CATH suites. When you think these tests, it you have to also think of the infrastructure. An General OR cost about 3-5 times as much per square foot as typical exam room. We've built more specific ORs that cost 6-7 times typical exam space. I've built 26 ORs and renovated 13 more. The point is there is a lot more than the cost of the implant, stint, etc.. You have to take into consideration the radiology equipment required to place it as well as the infrastructure.

A MRI machine costs between $1Million and $3Million depending on the size of the magnet. The RF shield required for MRI's will cost an additional $150,000 to $400,000 depending on the size of the magnet and the configuration of the room. The additional electrical service required is a extra $60,000 or so. The additional HVAC requirements are an extra $75,000. The premium to finish out the scan room with nonferrous materials is about $20%. The additional foundation requirements add about 30% to the cost of the foundation for that specific area. I've built somewhere between 15 and 20 MRI suites. CT's aren't quite as bad as they only require lead shielding and don't require as much electrically but you are probably still talking about $2 Million turn key, I've done 5 or 6 of them. CATH Labs fall somewhere in between initial cost wise, but have insane electrical requirements (consumption) I've built 8 CATH suites. When you think these tests, it you have to also think of the infrastructure. An General OR cost about 3-5 times as much per square foot as typical exam room. We've built more specific ORs that cost 6-7 times typical exam space. I've built 26 ORs and renovated 13 more. The point is there is a lot more than the cost of the implant, stint, etc.. You have to take into consideration the radiology equipment required to place it as well as the infrastructure.

Don't be silly, Perch. Someone in the radio said MRI machines are only $150. Being an evil capitalist, you must have pocketed all those extra millions and bought a private island some place nice.

:wacko: You guys are funny.

This thread started out with Perch trying to prove a point with fuzzy math and now he actually proves a point with real math.

You've come a long way.