[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question for wegie, Dr. Sac...

detlef

I'm being hooked up with a wine buying trip in Austria this January and I just need to get myself there. Good news is that I have miles to spend so I don't mind using a few more on a better airline. Is Luftansa, SN Brussels, Air France, or British Air a significantly nicer trip than the usual US carriers?

I'm being hooked up with a wine buying trip in Austria this January and I just need to get myself there. Good news is that I have miles to spend so I don't mind using a few more on a better airline. Is Luftansa, SN Brussels, Air France, or British Air a significantly nicer trip than the usual US carriers?

They typically are a little nicer, but not enough for a cheap-ass like me to spend much, if anything, extra to fly on one. Also, if you go with a foreign carrier, check to make sure that the flights you are buying are not code-share with a US carrier (such as Air France and Delta).

Edit: the only real difference that I notice is that the food is slighty better on the foreign carriers and alcoholic drinks are still free.

Edited by wiegie

They typically are a little nicer, but not enough for a cheap-ass like me to spend much, if anything, extra to fly on one. Also, if you go with a foreign carrier, check to make sure that the flights you are buying are not code-share with a US carrier (such as Air France and Delta).

Edit: the only real difference that I notice is that the food is slighty better on the foreign carriers and alcoholic drinks are still free.

Good to know. I won't be flying business class so I figured it wouldn't be a huge difference in the cheap seats. As it turns out, the cheapest flight is on AA and also is one less stop as well as having the advantage of going international directly from Raleigh. For whatever reason, it always seems like more of a hassle when you have to fly from one domestic port to another, and then go Int'l from there.

I always use NorthWorst to get to England from Minny because it's cheaper. It's direct and it's eight hours. I get a window seat and settle in to make the best of it. International flights are a bit more tolerable than domestic pigpen routes. Best flight abroad I've ever had was Air New Zealand to Auckland last year but that's not of much use to you.

8 trips to Europe this year so far, and leaving again on Sat - AA is no longer an option due to too many issues and vey poor service.... I go Luft or BA..... typical non stop to Munich ~ $800......

Just saying

Thanks for saving me. Every time I fly that effed up airline, I go away thinking the same thing. Then, the next time I fly it anyway because it's cheaper. Maybe this time will finally be the time that I wise up.

completely agree with all the above.

Price is still my most determining factor in buying airline tickets, but I will chose Air France over AA if it is up to 80 dollars more expensive due to my enrolment in their Frequent Flyer program and because they are better in terms of service (in about the same way Wiegie described)

The code sharing thing does piss me off, as Delta is definitely not as good as AF, and you really do have to look to see who is operaating the flight.

Lastly look at what kind of plane is being used in terms of inflight entertainment. Since flying is the only time I get to see newish films, it is important to me.

I love KLM, that said, the only drawback is that they mix your drinks for you (you don't get the little airplane bottles).

Delta is as good an option as airfrance.

Hate British Airways.

I don't know if you'll take the route of having a connection, but, DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE MANCHESTER AIRPORT, EVER!!! For that matter Heathrow sucks and Chuck D airport is the third worst in Europe.

Have fun in Austia, Haven't been there, but hope to get there one day.

There was a KLM flight that was pretty cheap, but the return flight was brutal (33 hrs). I might have gone for it because it had an 18 hour layover in Amsterdam but I have an event I need to get back for.

My host suggested Air Austria and it turns out that the shortest flight was with them and at a price in line with pretty much everyone else, so I went with that. We'll see. Should be a fun time. I've got a set itinerary for every day but the Friday I arrive. Any suggestions for Vienna?

There was a KLM flight that was pretty cheap, but the return flight was brutal (33 hrs). I might have gone for it because it had an 18 hour layover in Amsterdam but I have an event I need to get back for.

My host suggested Air Austria and it turns out that the shortest flight was with them and at a price in line with pretty much everyone else, so I went with that. We'll see. Should be a fun time. I've got a set itinerary for every day but the Friday I arrive. Any suggestions for Vienna?

how long are you going to be there? get your ass over to the arlberg and kitzbuhel and do some skiing!!!!

For God's Sake detlef, do not connect in the US if you can avoid it.

If your route is say Vienna to Atlanta to Raleigh you will have to go through Immigration in ATL, then claim your bag, then go through Customs, then recheck your bag, then get to the gate for the flight to Raleigh.

I've done that (not the exact same itinerary) and it blows. You will need at least 2.5 hours of connection time.

Fly from the foreign city to an airport within reasonable driving distance from your house.

And, any foreign carrier is better than a US carrier unless said foreign carrier is African.

And, any foreign carrier is better than a US carrier unless said foreign carrier is African.

Or Russian. Or South American. Or pretty much anyone except Europe and a very few Asian countries e.g. Singapore. I'd rather walk than risk my life getting on a plane that's not North American, European or one or two Asian countries.

For God's Sake detlef, do not connect in the US if you can avoid it.

If your route is say Vienna to Atlanta to Raleigh you will have to go through Immigration in ATL, then claim your bag, then go through Customs, then recheck your bag, then get to the gate for the flight to Raleigh.

I've done that (not the exact same itinerary) and it blows. You will need at least 2.5 hours of connection time.

Fly from the foreign city to an airport within reasonable driving distance from your house.

I've had the same hassles and I was trying to avoid it. However, the only options out of Raleigh that did that had some other massive issues or were much more expensive. As far as driving to the airport, my only option would be to make the 4 hour trek to DC which means, rather than having my wife drop me off and pick me up, I've got to make the drive and pay to park my car. Regardless, I do have a 2.5 hour layover in DC, so I should be fine.

What a rough existance you have. Do you on occasion sit around moaning your horrific luck because you're out of Stoli and have to "settle" for Smirnoff?

:wacko:

how long are you going to be there? get your ass over to the arlberg and kitzbuhel and do some skiing!!!!

Not long enough to do anything other than check out Vienna for a day. I land Friday am, leave Wednesday am and from Saturday to Tuesday evening, I'm on a rather full itinerary set by the wine importer. Should be very cool though. Lot's of great juice, some seemingly nice accommodations, some Michelin dining...

What a rough existance you have. Do you on occasion sit around moaning your horrific luck because you're out of Stoli and have to "settle" for Smirnoff?

:wacko:

First off, I drink Titos Handmade regardless of whether I have Stoli around or not. But, yep, I'm pretty stoked. This is actually the first time I've ever been hooked up to this degree. I've gotten other much smaller perks from the industry but never anything like this.

Very fired up.