[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Can I intentionally lose?

JustDoIt

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last 3 weeks before playoffs in my main money league are $40.00 losses or wins! So if u win u get $40.00 credit on ur balance if u lose u get dinged $40.00. This has kept everyone's interest till the end and EVERYONE is putting there best lineup on the field! This rule was caused by some throwing of games in years past. And 1 year someone threw a game to try to get back at a guy he really didn't like personally and wound up screwing another guy outta the playoffs. I say let the cards fall where they may and don't mess with Fantasy Karma! She's a Biatch! :wacko:

And because of attitudes like this, our league requires you to submit a competitive lineup every week because of the impact it may have on other teams' playoff hopes and seeding. We realized that there was a possibility that people might think that "because it isn't against the rules, that must make it OK," so we made it against the rules. This isn't the NFL. This is also why we do a re-draft with random draft order, where there should be far less motivation to tank for next year.

So each week somebody in the league gets to determine if each and every team has field a fair and competitive lineup? And if that person decides I should start Tashard Choice over Marion Barber because he believes Barber to be the better play then I have to suck it up and start who he tells me to start? What if I have a sneaking suspicion that Devone Bess is a good play and decide to bench Reggie Wayne because I don't like Reggie's matchup ... in the intererst of fairness and competitiveness you are going to step in and require me to start Reggie Wayne? How would that have worked out this week?

If I have players that are hurt will you require me to pay the prevailing transaction fee to acquire a player to insert in his place as well?

It is beyond me why everybody believes they should be able to manage somebody else's team.

I have an idea ... why not set everybody's lineup AFTER THE FACT ... that way you can be sure everybody started the best lineup.

Yes, this is exactly what I'm advocating. I'm glad we're on the same page here...

No, I'm advocating not being a worry wart, and playing the game the way it's supposed to be played: by putting the players in your lineup that you think will score the most points... period. Like I said, you have every right to tank, but I'll hang on to my right to play in leagues with people who are above taking a shady loophole like this.

Get your participation trophy at the door.

The last 3 weeks before playoffs in my main money league are $40.00 losses or wins! So if u win u get $40.00 credit on ur balance if u lose u get dinged $40.00. This has kept everyone's interest till the end and EVERYONE is putting there best lineup on the field! This rule was caused by some throwing of games in years past. And 1 year someone threw a game to try to get back at a guy he really didn't like personally and wound up screwing another guy outta the playoffs. I say let the cards fall where they may and don't mess with Fantasy Karma! She's a Biatch! :wacko:

This is a perfect way to handle the situation. But are you saying if I am willing to pony up the $40 you don't care if I bench my starters?

So each week somebody in the league gets to determine if each and every team has field a fair and competitive lineup? And if that person decides I should start Tashard Choice over Marion Barber because he believes Barber to be the better play then I have to suck it up and start who he tells me to start? What if I have a sneaking suspicion that Devone Bess is a good play and decide to bench Reggie Wayne because I don't like Reggie's matchup ... in the intererst of fairness and competitiveness you are going to step in and require me to start Reggie Wayne? How would that have worked out this week?

If I have players that are hurt will you require me to pay the prevailing transaction fee to acquire a player to insert in his place as well?

It is beyond me why everybody believes they should be able to manage somebody else's team.

I have an idea ... why not set everybody's lineup AFTER THE FACT ... that way you can be sure everybody started the best lineup.

And if you can make a decent case for what you did, that's fine. But we're talking about benching several players who are obvious starters, and no, I wouldn't expect you to understand.

But, I'll tell you, if I'm fighting for a playoff spot and the guy I'm competing with gets a BS victory because his opponent tanked, the guy that tanked and I are going to have words. Loud. Angry. Words. :wacko:

And if you can make a decent case for what you did, that's fine. But we're talking about benching several players who are obvious starters, and no, I wouldn't expect you to understand.

But, I'll tell you, if I'm fighting for a playoff spot and the guy I'm competing with gets a BS victory because his opponent tanked, the guy that tanked and I are going to have words. Loud. Angry. Words. :wacko:

So ... just set everybody's lineups after that fact to ensure that everybody starts the best lineup and everything is "fair".

You might also want to consider having somebody evaluating every draft pick that is made to ensure that each owner is drafting the best available player when it is his turn.

So ... just set everybody's lineups after that fact to ensure that everybody starts the best lineup and everything is "fair".

You might also want to consider having somebody evaluating every draft pick that is made to ensure that each owner is drafting the best available player when it is his turn.

As I said, I didn't expect you to understand, and as usual you go straight to the "slippery slope" ridiculous extreme to make your point instead of discussing the issue.

And, no, we don't have participation trophies, we just expect a basic level of sportsmanship and fairness.

I am always amazed at the people who claim it is "wrong" for an owner to bench players in an effort to take a loss to improve playoff positioning. It seems to me as if I paid my money and I should be able to manage my team as I see fit ... even if that means benching players to jockey for what I percieve to be a better playoff position. When you are playing fantasty football the goal is to win the championship NOT to ensure that the line up you submit each week is the most fair and beneficial to all the other (or any of the other) teams in the league.

An owner making a conscious decision to downgrade his starting lineup in an effort to improve playoff positioning or draft position is doing what his best for his team ... as long as he can demonstrate this is what he is doing he should be allowed.

Would I like it if it cost me a shot at the playoffs ... nope.

Whould I do it ... nope ... I want every win I can get ... and I just know if I do it I will have sealed my fate for a 1st round loss (karma and all).

So then you must not be opposed to tanking ?

I am in a 14 man league where the top six make the playoffs.

Going into this week I knew i could either make the 5, 6, or 7 spot. Now that most of the games are over I know I can either get the 5th seed with a win or the sixth seed with a loss. My dad has the 1 seed and I would much prefer to not play him except in the championship game. I am down by 16 and have Crosby and Rice to go. Would it be wrong of me to sit those two players to automatically lose so that I get the sixth seed?

If you do lose intentionally when you are at Christmas dinner this year something like this may happen

Just do it: "Dad can you pass me the ham"

Dad: "No son"

Just do it : "Why?"

Dad: "Because you are my bitch"

previous threads defintion of collusion....

Collusion is an agreement, usually secretive, which occurs between two or more persons to limit open competition by deceiving, misleading, or defrauding others of their legal rights, or to obtain an objective forbidden by law typically by defrauding or gaining an unfair advantage.

So I still haven't gotten an answer to how this, in any way, would be collusion. Something about splitting the pot and everything but we are not helping each others teams out. Seems ridiculous....

I sit 2 players on Monday night. It effects nobodys chance of making it to the playoffs.

I avoid my dad's team throughout the playoffs, who, has the most points, and the all-around best team in the league.

Not only that, but it would be way more fun and competitive for me to be playing one of the other people in the league.

I am in a 14 man league where the top six make the playoffs.

Going into this week I knew i could either make the 5, 6, or 7 spot. Now that most of the games are over I know I can either get the 5th seed with a win or the sixth seed with a loss. My dad has the 1 seed and I would much prefer to not play him except in the championship game. I am down by 16 and have Crosby and Rice to go. Would it be wrong of me to sit those two players to automatically lose so that I get the sixth seed?

If you tank and get seed 6, wouldn't you be doing what you don't want to do? :wacko:

previous threads defintion of collusion....

So I still haven't gotten an answer to how this, in any way, would be collusion. Something about splitting the pot and everything but we are not helping each others teams out. Seems ridiculous....

I sit 2 players on Monday night. It effects nobodys chance of making it to the playoffs.

I avoid my dad's team throughout the playoffs, who, has the most points, and the all-around best team in the league.

Not only that, but it would be way more fun and competitive for me to be playing one of the other people in the league.

I didn't see anybody call what you're considering collusion. I saw that someone said that it may LOOK like collusion between you and your dad and the perception is the deal here.

Either way, you're affecting seeds, and by your own admission you would be doing it so that someone else has to face your dad's team which you said is pretty good. There's no getting around the fact that if you affect your seed - you necessarily affect someone else's.

I would never tank a game or try to bench players as you never know the outcome it might have on anyone else.

In your case if it affects no else I might consider it if and only if you:

You up your piece of the pot by 20% and let the league vote on it. If it passes then great if not then I play on.

That is the only way I would let you tank so that you did not have to play your relative. That is the tricky part, unfortunately you two are related and it looks bad. So show me some incentive that you are not worried aboutn the money and I might consider it, otherwise I would just tell 6 to tank as well and be done with it.

Not sure if 20% is the right number but I guarantee you there is a number that will work if you want to play to be more competitive and that is it!

Edited by Dont Rookie Me........

I would never tank a game or try to bench players as you never know the outcome it might have on anyone else.

In your case if it affects no else I might consider it if and only if you:

You up the pot by 20% and let the league vote on it. If it passes then great if not then I play on.

That is the only way I would let you tank so that you did not have to play your relative. That is the tricky part, unfortunately you two are related and it looks bad. So show me some incentive that you are not worried aboutn the money and I might consider it, otherwise I would just tell 6 to tank as well and be done with it.

But it does. If your seeding changes, so does someone else's.

doesn't this happen in the nfl? when teams have a playoff spot wrapped up, they usually don't play their starters the whole game, right? they don't care if the team they're playing might be fighting for a playoff spot, do they? so, if i paid my money & knew if i win my game this week, i'd have to play someone who has great matchups. but if i lose, the guy i'd go against has tougher matchups, then why should i care about how this affects everyone else. i'm playing to win the game...and by game i mean the championship. i paid my money, so i should be free to do whatever i want. like grits said earlier, i'm not playing for a participation throphy. if i wanted to do that, i'd sign up for an elementary school field day.

doesn't this happen in the nfl? when teams have a playoff spot wrapped up, they usually don't play their starters the whole game, right? they don't care if the team they're playing might be fighting for a playoff spot, do they? so, if i paid my money & knew if i win my game this week, i'd have to play someone who has great matchups. but if i lose, the guy i'd go against has tougher matchups, then why should i care about how this affects everyone else. i'm playing to win the game...and by game i mean the championship. i paid my money, so i should be free to do whatever i want. like grits said earlier, i'm not playing for a participation throphy. if i wanted to do that, i'd sign up for an elementary school field day.

Maybe someone has mentioned this before but THIS IS NOT THE NFL! Jeebus, that's a horrible argument.