[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

START WITTEN!

McBoog

As much of a Charger Homer as I am, it should be a HUGH week for Witten. The Chargers CAN NOT cover the tight end. This has been a problem that has spanned defenses, different coordinators and decades. :wacko:

His performance will be the key, I feel, to the team that pulls this one out.

As much of a Charger Homer as I am, it should be a HUGH week for Witten. The Chargers CAN NOT cover the tight end. This has been a problem that has spanned defenses, different coordinators and decades. :wacko:

His performance will be the key, I feel, to the team that pulls this one out.

i thought it was kinda clever how the Giants gave Romo enough rope to hang himself by giving up all the underneath stuff to Witten. the 1st impression is "wow, Witten is killing the G-men"...then you look at the scoreboard.

maybe we see some more of that this week in a copy-cat league. we certainly burned a high enough pick on Witten...it would be nice to get paid.

i thought it was kinda clever how the Giants gave Romo enough rope to hang himself by giving up all the underneath stuff to Witten. the 1st impression is "wow, Witten is killing the G-men"...then you look at the scoreboard.

maybe we see some more of that this week in a copy-cat league. we certainly burned a high enough pick on Witten...it would be nice to get paid.

+1. I managed to struggle in the season on the TE position and now his recent PPR boom has been awesome. I hope he keeps it up in the next few pass happy matchups against the Chargers, Saints, etc.

Go Witten!

+1. I managed to struggle in the season on the TE position and now his recent PPR boom has been awesome. I hope he keeps it up in the next few pass happy matchups against the Chargers, Saints, etc.

Go Witten!

I traded him for Sims-walker 6 weeks ago. It was looking like a good trade for me unitl last week...luckily I have J. Finley, who I hope continues what he did last night the rest of the season.

Weddle, the starting FS for the Bolts will likely miss the game. Last week the Chargers played without five starters on D much of the game against the Browns and went into a for of "prevent" to not get burned deep and gave up a lot of underneath stuff. This week, the get Merriman and Castillo back and that should help fluster Romo, but he will be looking for his safety net (Witten) and history shows this team is weak at covering the TE.

Just keep it all in front of you and hopefully ot will work out.

There has also been some talk that of any, this is the game the Chargers can "afford" to lose of the last four. On the road, in Dallas, then at home to CIncy for quite possible the number 2 seed, then X-Mas at Titans and home to the Skins. The thought is that they can rest the wounded (it is amazing they have won as many with the number of injured #1s they have had), get healthy and run at the last three games for the number two seed and maybe pull off the upset in Dallas.

That will all probably be determined after the morning games since this game is at 4 EST. The Bengals play the VIkes and the Doncos play the Colts in the early games. IF both the Bengals and Broncos lose, I would not be surprised to see Merriman, Castillo, Weddle, Boone and a few other guys rest. This could put the young players in the "prevent" mode again, keeping it in front of them and resulting in a big, HUGH game for Witten.

IF the Chargers can keep it close with their offense in this scenario, then they might pull it out, but not likely. Backing off like this can mean a big TOP advantage for the Boys and the Bolts will have to maximize EVERY possession. They have been great on the road this year, but this will be a very difficult venue. The biggest positive is that it is a late game and their body clocks will be on "normal" time. Like I said, a lot hinges on what happens in those two early games.

Weddle, the starting FS for the Bolts will likely miss the game. Last week the Chargers played without five starters on D much of the game against the Browns and went into a for of "prevent" to not get burned deep and gave up a lot of underneath stuff. This week, the get Merriman and Castillo back and that should help fluster Romo, but he will be looking for his safety net (Witten) and history shows this team is weak at covering the TE.

Just keep it all in front of you and hopefully ot will work out.

There has also been some talk that of any, this is the game the Chargers can "afford" to lose of the last four. On the road, in Dallas, then at home to CIncy for quite possible the number 2 seed, then X-Mas at Titans and home to the Skins. The thought is that they can rest the wounded (it is amazing they have won as many with the number of injured #1s they have had), get healthy and run at the last three games for the number two seed and maybe pull off the upset in Dallas.

That will all probably be determined after the morning games since this game is at 4 EST. The Bengals play the VIkes and the Doncos play the Colts in the early games. IF both the Bengals and Broncos lose, I would not be surprised to see Merriman, Castillo, Weddle, Boone and a few other guys rest. This could put the young players in the "prevent" mode again, keeping it in front of them and resulting in a big, HUGH game for Witten.

IF the Chargers can keep it close with their offense in this scenario, then they might pull it out, but not likely. Backing off like this can mean a big TOP advantage for the Boys and the Bolts will have to maximize EVERY possession. They have been great on the road this year, but this will be a very difficult venue. The biggest positive is that it is a late game and their body clocks will be on "normal" time. Like I said, a lot hinges on what happens in those two early games.

wow Boog....good info here :wacko:

the Dallas D held the Giants under 350 yds in a close game. the thread is about Witten and i was referring to the Giants D containing the 'Boys OFF.

Romo completed about 75% for 400 and 3 with no picks. Just wondering what was "clever" about " the Giants giving Romo enough rope to hang himself". I guess I'm just missing your point.

what does Romo's stats have to do with the Dallas D??

....i don't get what you don't get :wacko:

Edited by hooknladder

what does Romo's stats have to do with the Dallas D??

....i don't get what you don't get :D

:D

I don't get the point of the above post. I don't get how Romo hung himself.

:wacko: Is it safe to assume you think that the SDC are gonna let Witten roam free b/c he had a big game last week and Dallas lost?

I just can't bench V. Davis for him. Anyway, I'd be surprised to see Witten running wild again. NFL defensive coords like to stop whats working, so I can see a SD focus on Witten. Plus, I can see Garrett trying to mix it up to avoid 'tendencies". I say Witten is back to 7 or 8 targets and 4-6 catches.

it did'nt work though. they lost. Witten almost always gets tackled right where he catches it. he is rarely a threat to take it all the way.

I just can't bench V. Davis for him. Anyway, I'd be surprised to see Witten running wild again. NFL defensive coords like to stop whats working, so I can see a SD focus on Witten. Plus, I can see Garrett trying to mix it up to avoid 'tendencies". I say Witten is back to 7 or 8 targets and 4-6 catches.

megadittos

From looking at all the above info, seems to me allowing Witten to catch a bunch of short passes would be a better game plan that letting Williams and Austin have single coverage. Romo seems to have found Williams again, and Austin has to be watched closely with those crossing routes. I'd agree Witten is usually tackled immediately, and a bunch of 5-10 yard passes are better than the wideouts streaking in the clear.

At least, I hope he gets a bunch of looks, I played him over other options.

The Chargers have three very good corners that can lock up on guys. When I say "prevent", in this case it means more about keeping the safeties back more to not allow anything behind them. The stuff that kills this style is to the slot to an extent, but more to the TE and the RBs.

I think DD predictions are a reasonable expectation. I would put his receiving TD with Crayton or Jones since it is these positions as opposed to the primary WR that get TDs in the red zone against the Chargers and maybe bump Miles yardage a bit. Miles TD would be more likely to come on a long play, and the Chargers have been pretty good at minimizing these this year with the quality play at CB they have had. The Bolts are more susceptible to the FB bump and go or slot quick slant than the fade or the deep ball.

I am really looking forward to this game, especially if the Broncos and Bengals win. There will be a lot more on the line in this scenario for the Chargers. I think the game is more important to the Cowboys. If there is any game in the last four the Chargers can afford to lose, it would be this one because they can still make it up next week, but it would certainly tighten things up uncomfortably.