[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hosed by commish on tiebreakers

scottyjets

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

< shrug > precedence or not ... I find it hard to give him a leg to stand on with his entry fee not paid BY WEEK 13

OK, but then that's what the commissioner needs to rule. You didn't pay your entry fee, so no playoffs. I could accept that. But his current ruling is unacceptable.

That's the thing that SUCKS about playing in newer leagues with close friends. If you ask me, you got hosed.

I too found myself in a similar situation a few years back. A good friend of mine runs his own league. Trades are all to go through his approval before being processed. He up to this time in question was very fair - even if a trade was pretty one sided. He was just there to make sure that there was no collusion.

HOWEVER...

In about week 8, we were at lunch and I proposed to him verbally, Tiki Barber (wasn't getting any TDs) and Tom Brady for Brian Westbrook (PPR Gold) and Donovan McNabb. He accepted there at lunch. He told me when we get back to the office, to propose it online and he would accept and process it. Well, we got back to the office and I did in fact propose it, but he didn't do anything. He told me that he was busy and would do it when he got home. I can respect that. We were at work after all..

Problem is, that night he accepted the trade but didn't process it. I checked about an hour later and the trade I proposed AND HE ACCEPTED was vetoed. I then saw that he accepted a trade with his long time friend. He gave him Westbrook and D McNabb for D Carr and E James. I was like WHAT TF???!?!? Not only did you get the worse end of the deal, you completely f'd me out of a trade that you had already accepted. He told me that while he accepted the trade via an email link, (he claims that he never went to the website) he saw that his buddy offered him the trade that he did accept a day prior to our deal, he just overlooked it in his email. Several of the league managers asked to see the email message with the date and timestamp, but it was NEVER provided.

After 3 days of raising hell and not letting it go as well as asking the league for their opinions, I was then given back my $100 and told that I am no longer allowed to play in that league as I questioned the integrity of the commissioner and his league.

It's things like this post (and my incident a few years ago) that happen and makes me VERY careful about playing in leagues commissioned by one person or close friends.

Edited by Shorttynaz

OK, but then that's what the commissioner needs to rule. You didn't pay your entry fee, so no playoffs. I could accept that. But his current ruling is unacceptable.

I agree the commissioner is being and ass and have already said so. Being a commissioner myself (of several leagues) one of the things you have to do in addition to actually having integrity is maintain an appearance of integrity. You also have to communicate everything. This commissioner has failed to maintain an appearance of integrity and has failed to properly communicate. His actions are EVEN worse because his team is benefiting directly from his actions.

Having said that ... I don't have a lot of sympathy for an owner that has not paid his entry fee by week 13.

Having said that ... I don't have a lot of sympathy for an owner that has not paid his entry fee by week 13.

Blitz, get off your high horse for a minute. I have ran leagues for over 20 years with friends. I know they are all going to pay. I dont treat them like a bunch of deadbeats. The paying of the fee has nothing to do with the situation he is in. :wacko:

I won the league the last two years and both times paid on time, and both times patiently waited (until the following July) to receive all my prize money because someone else slacked, I was very cool about it, and I don't believe for a minute that everyone else is paid up at this point, it's not a $$ issue it's just a priority thing, and like I said this league isn't about the money. I do intend to pay the eventual 09-champ, but they will probably wait until July just like I did last year. And they'll get it in pennies or something. Even if I have to pay more than the entry fee to ship it. It's really not related at all to the fact that I got shafted here.

I've adjusted my team logo:

http://www.nll.com/scott/leonn.jpg

And I've pulled my entire starting lineup from the 'consolation bracket for #1 pick' in protest.

I think this is pretty much wrapped up though. Commish is stubborn, I could send him this link and the entire league could agree, he won't change his mind on this. No point in wasting my time. I have the top seed in my 16-team $500 league I need to tend to anyway.

God I am so pissed.

So Scottyjets you get screwed by your commish and now you're going to screw the eventual winner by not paying him until July. You deserve what you got. Your actions are no better than his. At least he's just a dumb ass you're a bitter, sore loser. It's nice to see how 2 wrongs don't make a right. Pay your money now and play in another league next year. No complaint at all if you haven't paid by week 13. Low man reallly low! :wacko:

Every other league I play in, you don't draft if you don't pay. Twice already I've gotten my prize money seven months late so I'm not concerned about it here. It's a non-issue.

I'll probably pay right after the Super Bowl because I'm not a deadbeat. But I'm considering being stubborn and making a point because I (and commish) have always had to chase people for money post-season.

Not a situation I created, my league would not be ran like this.

Blitz, get off your high horse for a minute. I have ran leagues for over 20 years with friends. I know they are all going to pay. I dont treat them like a bunch of deadbeats. The paying of the fee has nothing to do with the situation he is in. :wacko:

Yes, I completely agree. Lots of friends make allowances about things like that because of their relationships and because the fee is eventually paid. Friends or not, this league has set a bad precedence with having to wait until July, another reason that a new commissioner is needed to clean up this type of tardiness.

I'm with Grits and Shins on this one. No entry fee paid, no right to complain. Our main local, which has been around for 15 years has Rule 1: Until all league fees are in the Commissioner's possession, no lineup will be accepted from the owner.

Every other league I play in, you don't draft if you don't pay. Twice already I've gotten my prize money seven months late so I'm not concerned about it here. It's a non-issue.

I'll probably pay right after the Super Bowl because I'm not a deadbeat. But I'm considering being stubborn and making a point because I (and commish) have always had to chase people for money post-season.

Not a situation I created, my league would not be ran like this.

I believe this reaction would be a mistake and would only weaken your argument and call your integrity into question. Folks would focus on your reaction instead of the original problem. You will cause more problems by reacting like that. The proper reaction is to contact everyone in the league and demand a league vote immediately. If you don't get the proper reaction, then the next course of action would be to pay and to resign. Now, if you want to be a little bit of an ass, resign close to the start of the season. OK, don't do that. Be the bigger guy.

I am amazed that so many leagues do not have written rules. Written rules, amended by league vote in the offseason, and distributed at the Draft every year. Just amazed...

They had written rules. It was e-mailed out. The commissioner changed them without telling anyone until this week.

And Bob finally chimes in... the trash talk is typical, it's fine. His points make no sense however.

To clarify, I was operating under the presumption that head to head would be the first tie breaker and total points would be the second. matt confirmed to me over the phone prior to week 13 that he thought this was the rule. total points are typically the first tie breaker in most non-division fantasy formats. if this were the pros, then yes, division record may trump. however, with the new divsion format, last year's rules are moot. similarly, using a division record tie breaker would further perpetuate the absurdness that is the division system---something that we did not learn until this year and will hopefully get rid of next year. nonetheless, I think that the right decision was made (and not b/c I ended up in the playoffs). Scott, in sticking w/ true fantasy sportsmanship, may I suggest you grab some tissues and take some aspirin to sooth your sore cunt.

Sincerely,

The 2009-2010 Fantasy Football Champion

I'm with Grits and Shins on this one. No entry fee paid, no right to complain. Our main local, which has been around for 15 years has Rule 1: Until all league fees are in the Commissioner's possession, no lineup will be accepted from the owner.

You have to be careful and not apply your league's rules to their league. Paying late is the accepted norm for this group, and while I think it's problematic, it's something that they are accustomed to and do.

The issue is about the tiebreaker. The commissioner has not stated that the entry fee is related to the matter.

P.S. No such thing as liberal media. Puhleeze...but I digress.

Edited by electricrelish

And another league member. I knew I would not win a vote:

Not to be a dick, because I totally get the beef here...BUT...truth be told, Bryan and I were both working under that same assumption that points were the second tie-breaker...

I think you are taking this matter far too lightly. I would send out an e-mail and request a forum to speak about it and a league vote to settle the matter. If you lose the vote, then this league is not worth being involved in.

Edited by electricrelish

I have formally 'appealed' and am waiting a decision, but I have a feeling it's not going to go my way.

I'm in a casual league with my college buddies, it's just a $50 buy-in and we all talk a lot of trash. I've won the league the first two seasons (07 and 08) and I've had a rough year but I was on the playoff bubble to go for the three-peat in '09.

Called commish and asked him what the tiebreakers were at about Noon ET on Sunday, he wasn't sure but said he'd look into it. I don't hear from him all day, and then I lost, forcing me into a tie for the final playoff spot with the team that beat me. Commish sends out an e-mail at 11pm (after my opponent cemented the win) stating first tiebreaker was head-to-head record (tied 1-1) and second was total points (he wins).

I didn't think twice as these guys are all my friends, but out of curiosity tonight found an e-mail sent last October stating the first tiebreaker was head-to-head, second was division record (I'm 6-4, he's 5-5) and third was total points.

There was no change in this rule up until 11pm Sunday. No change during the off-season, no change even before the final week of the regular season.

I feel like there's some collusion here to try to eliminate me from becoming a dynasty. Do I have the right to be furious? Should the brackets stand as-is simply because I waited too long (Two days later, Tuesday night at 11pm) to discover this injustice?

It's not about the money, I genuinely want to beat the crap out of my friends in fantasy football, so with my appeal I included a note saying that if my appeal is upheld I will be 'playing for the people' in the playoffs and the three-peat will be enough of a prize.

Will update as this develops...

Maybe you could compromise and play a H2H simultaneously with Bob (I believe he made it and you didn't as it stands now) and whoever your opponent is? Whichever score is higher between you and Bob is the one that is used against the opponent for that week. This seems like the only fair way to do it. Had to do this once in a league of mine because the commish didn't set any tie break rules and it worked out fine.

On a side note, I had a dynasty in a fantasy baseball league of mine and several teams colluded against me because they were sick of seeing me win every year. There is a good chance the same thing is going on in your league. Seems like its just competitive human nature.

On a positive note, friendships are much more valuable than FF championships and I've had fun reminding other team owners at every draft that they had to collude against me just to dethrone me. That kind of spin on the events that took place is almost as fun as winning.

They had written rules. It was e-mailed out. The commissioner changed them without telling anyone until this week.

I don't think so. As I read it, the e-mail was some old procedure, not some "Rulebook". The only written rules appear to be the a-hole Commish's "secret spreadsheet" that he can change whenever he feels something is 'stupid' and that no one has seen but him.

I can't believe how mad this thread has gotten me. I feel like I'm watching the news or a movie and cursing at the bad guy on the screen. This guy really irks me.

Yea, I want to kick the commish's Azz real bad for you. My blood pressure went up just reading this thread.

And Bob finally chimes in... the trash talk is typical, it's fine. His points make no sense however.

To clarify, I was operating under the presumption that head to head would be the first tie breaker and total points would be the second. matt confirmed to me over the phone prior to week 13 that he thought this was the rule. total points are typically the first tie breaker in most non-division fantasy formats. if this were the pros, then yes, division record may trump. however, with the new divsion format, last year's rules are moot. similarly, using a division record tie breaker would further perpetuate the absurdness that is the division system---something that we did not learn until this year and will hopefully get rid of next year. nonetheless, I think that the right decision was made (and not b/c I ended up in the playoffs). Scott, in sticking w/ true fantasy sportsmanship, may I suggest you grab some tissues and take some aspirin to sooth your sore cunt.

Sincerely,

The 2009-2010 Fantasy Football Champion

I dont know who I want to fight more. The commish or Bob. I actually want a piece of them. Although bobs last line is pretty much trash talking hall of fame worthy it doesnt take away from the fact that he is accepting a bogus playoff spot.

You two remind me of a couple Crotchety old wimmin... :wacko:

Edited by Missoula Griz

Your commissioner is an ass ... but since you haven't paid your entry fee you shouldn't be in the playoffs anyway.

I'm sorry ... somebody that has not paid his entry fee by this time should be allowed to compete in the playoffs anyway.

Would you please make up your mind already...

Friend or no - I'd tell him right now that this is your last year in the league and I'd stick to it. He could see you as being winey or be can see that his poor judgement has consiqueces. If truly considers you his friend this will force him to decide what is more important, his friend or his pride.