[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Can I burn 'home depot' pine in my fireplace?

Duchess Jack

Its been wet some I haven't had the chance to scavange for wood. I don't like chemical logs. The new javalogs are kind of cool, but expensive. I've a lot of leftover pine in my shop from different projects. I know that it is not pressure treated, but can I burn it in my fireplace?

I've had like 5 big ole 100-year old oak trees fall in the past couple of months with all this rain. One would've hit the house if it didn't fall just right. Come on over and take all you can cut.

Do people still do that? Cause I'd love to have these gone.

I always thought burning pine in a fireplace was not a good idea? :wacko:

The cons are that it is less dense than many hardwoods- therefore a cord of pine has less weight (and BTU value) than oak. Keep in mind- however- that many areas of the US and world burn only softwoods. Usually- if folks can get hardwood- they will opt for that. Pine does have more “sap” content- but this is actually fuel- and it produces heat. You must take care not to burn it with a low smoldering fire- or else a dense smoke and/or tar and creosote will build up. If one has an open fireplace or a newer EPA approved clean-burning stove- this is less of a problem

I always thought burning pine in a fireplace was not a good idea? :wacko:

I can't see myself burning it regularly - but I do have a good bit to push through. Hopefully the buildup won't be too much for one year. As it is - I am required to have the chimney inspected/cleaned once a year. Perhaps I will get my money's worth this time.

I've had like 5 big ole 100-year old oak trees fall in the past couple of months with all this rain. One would've hit the house if it didn't fall just right. Come on over and take all you can cut.

Do people still do that? Cause I'd love to have these gone.

Put an ad in Craigs list, and they'll be gone by next week. Lots of folks look for fallen trees to clean up for firewood. You may have to burn the brush, though.

I can't see myself burning it regularly - but I do have a good bit to push through. Hopefully the buildup won't be too much for one year. As it is - I am required to have the chimney inspected/cleaned once a year. Perhaps I will get my money's worth this time.

I would add another cleaning of the flue and chimney this season

if you plan on burning pine every day or every other day due to the

creosote build up......chimney fires do happen.