[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Michigan passes smoking ban

Furd

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OTOH, if you light up in a bar where the others are either smoking or want to be there knowing there is smoking going on, which is all those of us on this side are advocating, then no-one at all is affected.

I'm just trying to point out the difference between the affect smoking in public places has versus drinking in public places. I'm not necessarily advocating the government dictating that smoking not being allowed.

I can just as easily get drunk at my house and kill a family of five while running to Taco Bell at 3:00 in the morning. I can't cause second hand smoke cancer to the public by doing the same.

Exactly! At least you(a non-smoker) can see the other way. Better than some holier than thou idiot in this thread who calls smokers pathetic.

ETA: If I was starving to death, I'd rather eat pine cones than go to his restaraunt.

1) I believe Darin and I are of exactly the same opinion here. 2) I didn't say smokers are pathetic. I said that habit exhibits a pathetic lack of self control. We've all got our flaws. Among yours is the fact that you smoke. It is a flaw, plain and simple. Otherwise everyone wouldn't be trying to quit. And I'm not holier than you, I just smell better because I don't smoke. :wacko:

More importantly, I specifically chose the words I did to illustrate that I don't favor smoking bans in spite of the fact that I despise the habit.

Edited by detlef

Drinking doesn't harm other people.

Drinking and driving may. Just because you are drinking at a bar doesn't imply that you are driving.

Smoking does harm other people.

(And I'm against the ban).

And there are the Bars that ignore the law and have a can for donations to pay fines!

The air was hazy and the ashtrays were full on a recent night at the Crowbar Inc. tavern on the Southeast Side, despite Illinois' nearly 2-year-old indoor smoking ban.

Here, after a few fines they take away your license (hasn't happened, but been threatened)

I actually know of several bars in WI did that moved to being smoke free. They did much better afterward. Now that is a very small example and may/may not be indicative of the industry.

Most of those will be bar / grills or bar / restaurants. Very different to regular bars.

I can think of 3 regular bars that went smoke free voluntarily before the ban and did just fine.

I can think of 3 regular bars that went smoke free voluntarily before the ban and did just fine.

Sure, because the market was allowed to decide.

yea...people that smoke are going to sit in their homes and drink. no more bars for them. never again!

No, they're going to stand outside and freeze for 10 minutes at a time because that is the punishment for engaging in an otherwise legal activity in public.

Most of those will be bar / grills or bar / restaurants. Very different to regular bars.

In the Milwaukee metro area, I know of one restaurant that voluntarily went smoke free and does well so far as I can tell.

I know of one non-smoking bar that lasted a couple years and closed. I think there is another one open that is doing OK for itself.

In the Milwaukee metro area, I know of one restaurant that voluntarily went smoke free and does well so far as I can tell.

I know of one non-smoking bar that lasted a couple years and closed. I think there is another one open that is doing OK for itself.

I don't know any smokers that want to eat a meal in a cloud of smoke.

yea...people that smoke are going to sit in their homes and drink. no more bars for them. never again!

I haven't been in a bar since the State Of Washington went no-smoking. And I know a whole raft of people that have followed that path. A bunch of places here have gone out of business when their customers where cut by 60-70 percent after the law went into effect. And the thing is... the ones that spend the most money in those places are the smokers. Non-smokers are cheap and whiney and prefer to tell everyone else in the world how to live their life.

The next law they are pushing is that you can't smoke in your car and you can't smoke in your house if there are people under 18 in it.

They can kiss my go to hell on either one of those.

I have a sign (30 years old now) that sits in a prominate place in my house:

"Thank you for holding your breath while I smoke."

I'm getting another one soon.... "If you don't like me smoking.... leave".

There is nothing worse on the face of the earth than a zealot that knows what is best for you. We have a few of those here that's for sure. Go live your own life and leave others alone.

I haven't been in a bar since the State Of Washington went no-smoking. And I know a whole raft of people that have followed that path. A bunch of places here have gone out of business when their customers where cut by 60-70 percent after the law went into effect. And the thing is... the ones that spend the most money in those places are the smokers. Non-smokers are cheap and whiney and prefer to tell everyone else in the world how to live their life.

The next law they are pushing is that you can't smoke in your car and you can't smoke in your house if there are people under 18 in it.

There is nothing worse on the face of the earth than a zealot that knows what is best for you. We have a few of those here that's for sure. Go live your own life and leave others alone.

do you believe second-hand smoke kills?

do you believe second-hand smoke kills?

Nobody that has been around me for the last 50 years has lung cancer. So I guess not.

But it doesn't matter what I believe. I'm not here to tell anyone how to live their life... and I get damn tired of them telling me how to live mine.

Nobody that has been around me for the last 50 years has lung cancer. So I guess not.

But it doesn't matter what I believe. I'm not here to tell anyone how to live their life... and I get damn tired of them telling me how to live mine.

i agree with you, if your actions just affect YOUR life. but smoking affects not only the smoker, but others around him/her.

as a longtime WA resident the bolded part is just flat out not true on so many levels I really don't know where to start.............just an old-school out of touch mentality my man.

smokers still found ways to smoke if they needed a fix- and most smokers I know either came around to liking the law or where in favor from the get-go

Not to my knowledge. Nor to anyone in my family or circle of extemely long time friends.

Sooo when you smoke the smoke does not get inhaled by others? Whether you admit it or not, that does effect them and it is against their will.

I am not talking about cancer, but the mere act of inhaling your smoke effects those around you . . . and not everyone is jumping for joy for the opportunity.

as a longtime WA resident the bolded part is just flat out not true on so many levels I really don't know where to start.............just an old-school out of touch mentality my man.

smokers still found ways to smoke if they needed a fix- and most smokers I know either came around to liking the law or where in favor from the get-go

Go ahead... start.

And while you are at it....since you must live in the same area as I do to know truth/non-truth....maybe we can get together. Would have to be an outdoor place at least 30ft from a storefront though.