[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

detroit

Azazello1313

I've studied this phenomenon more than you can even begin to imagine. The urban core has been experiencing this for decades, just never at this widespread level in one metropolis. It is both scary and interesting all at the same time. When (if? :wacko:) the economy rebounds/improves, there will be a ton of opportunity for developers. Hopefully a rebirth will occur, and will occur in a smart fashion. There have been some good things happening in post-Katrina New Orleans; granted the "rehab" there has happened as a result of a natural disaster rather than the decline of a city's economy/lifeblood. I actually contemplated a move to the Big Easy to take part in the process of the eventual rebirth of the city. It's a city planner's dream, really.

Thanks for the link... I think I found yet another site to frequent.

Edited by darin3

I've studied this phenomenon more than you can even begin to imagine. The urban core has been experiencing this for decades, just never at this widespread level in one metropolis. It is both scary and interesting all at the same time. When (if? :wacko:) the economy rebounds/improves, there will be a ton of opportunity for developers. Hopefully a rebirth will occur, and will occur in a smart fashion. There have been some good things happening in post-Katrina New Orleans; granted the "rehab" there has happened as a result of a natural disaster rather than the decline of a city's economy/lifeblood. I actually contemplated a move to the Big Easy to take part in the process of the eventual rebirth of the city. It's a city planner's dream, really.

Thanks for the link... I think I found yet another site to frequent.

I have quite literally heard this about Detroit for my entire life.

I have quite literally heard this about Detroit for my entire life.

It's been a common theme in most urban cores for decades. It's just more widespread - especially now - in Detroit.

The urban core (or "downtown", if you will) all but dissipated in the 50's and 60's when suburbanism hit. In the 70's and 80's, the urban core stayed unpopulated/unpopular because of "suburban downtowns". Companies chose to locate close to their workforce (typically it was the other way around; employees lived close to where they work). Los Angeles' downtown, for example, was a wasteland just 10-15 years ago. Sure, there were some office high-rises, but NO ONE lived downtown and God forbid you go downtown to eat, drink and be merry. Developers bought up a ton of land, built the Staples Center and now hotels, condos, shopping, you name it... is sprouting up around Staples Center and all of downtown LA. Rebirth can happen, but it won't happen in this economy. :wacko: Me and my 5 part-time jobs are waiting for a turnaround.