[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

support the president

Azazello1313

And yet, apparently only 30% of the GOP support Obama's current policy there.

At what point was poll taken? When he was being indecisive or since he has decided to give McCrystal 3/4 of what he asked for? I was critical of Obama making McCrystal and our troops wait on his decision. Now that he has made his decision I support it. Of course I've always considered myself a conservative, not a Republican.

And yet, apparently only 30% of the GOP support Obama's current policy there.

Obama’s Plan for Afghanistan Finds Bipartisan Support

President Obama has managed to thread the needle with his newly announced Afghanistan strategy, with his approach winning the approval of a majority of both Democrats (58%) and Republicans (55%) in a USA Today/Gallup poll conducted Wednesday night. At the same time, less than a majority of independents approve (45%). Among Americans overall, 51% approve of the strategy while 40% disapprove.

:wacko: getting virtually the same support from republicans as from democrats, it would appear. support on that issue would appear to be rising among republicans, and waning among democrats. I know that doesn't fit the little narrative you've concocted in your head, but those appear to be the facts.

edit to add another poll:

Republicans and independents are the key forces in forging a narrow majority of Americans who support President Obama's strategy for Afghanistan, but on many other fronts, the president's approval ratings and backing for some of his key initiatives have been on the slide, according to a New York Times/CBS News poll conducted Dec. 4-8.

Fifty-one percent approve of Obama's decision to send 30,000 additional U.S. troops to Afghanistan while 43 percent disapprove, with 6 percent undecided.

Democrats oppose the troop increase by 53 percent to 42 percent, while Republicans support it by 68 percent to 27 percent; independents are split, but favor it by a higher margin (48 percent to 45 percent) than Democrats.

Fifty-five percent said Obama was wrong to announce a timetable for starting to bring troops home in July 2011 while 41 percent said it was a good idea.

Edited by Azazello1313

When he was being indecisive or since he has decided to give McCrystal 3/4 of what he asked for?

Both you and Az's article make this claim about the number of troops, but from what I understand, Obama already had NATO's committment of an additional 7,000 troops. There's also an additional 3,000 support troops in Obama's proposal.

30,000 + 7,000 + 3,000 = 40,000 = What McChrystall asked for.

Edited by billay

Obama’s Plan for Afghanistan Finds Bipartisan Support

:wacko: getting virtually the same support from republicans as from democrats, it would appear. support on that issue would appear to be rising among republicans, and waning among democrats. I know that doesn't fit the little narrative you've concocted in your head, but those appear to be the facts.

edit to add another poll:

The "little narrative I concocted in my head" was actually the result of looking into the poll posty referenced earlier.

Lookie here

Obama gets better marks on Afghanistan with 47% of voters saying they support his approach there to 37% who are opposed. Not surprisingly he gets more support from Republicans on this issue than health care (30% compared to 5%) and less from Democrats (63% compared to 69%). His Afghanistan stance isn't doing anything to help his overall standing with GOP voters though- even among those who say they agree with him on this issue his approval rating is only 13%.

I understand that this doesn't fit with the little narrative that you've concocted in your head that the left is just making up the fact that right wing America is engaging in an insane level of bitter partisan crap and will fight anything Obama does regardless of what it is.

How many troops do we still have tied up in Iraq that could be used in Afghanistan to finish our original mission after 9-11?

A well written op-ed (for a change compared to he usual drivel op-eds posted).

FWIW I would have loved to give McCrystal eveything he wants and more . . but that would involve pulling troops out of the war that never should have been in Iraq . . .