[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sarah Palin gets back at Shatner

alchico

Regardless of what you think of her politics, it's obvious (to me at least) that she has a good sense of hughmor. It seems like most politicians are total sticks in the mud.

really? I wonder if she will be so embracing of humorous takes when she isnt promoting a book or keping national exposure high in case she runs for national office in 2012

Then again, I think she was on SNL before her book came out. . . :wacko:

C'mon ... seriously?

I believe this was the second time they had Shatner on lampooning her like this.

:oldrolleyes:

Actually when I recalled she was on Letterman before her book, it was a compliment to her after Tina Fey did her impressions. She was not pimping her book at the time.

She is a curious mix of "dont ask me hard questions dontcha know . . " and self deprecating humor.

I just wonder if she will do it when she doesnt have anything on the line . . either the presidential race or a book to sell . . .

I just wonder if she will do it when she doesnt have anything on the line . . either the presidential race or a book to sell . . .

Public probably wouldn't be all that interested, then. So, does that tree that falls down when you're not around make a noise, or not?

I don't see this as her 'trying to get him back' and I don't really seem too much a sense of humor in it either. She had a decent delivery, sure - but its not like Shatner could feel anything like 'dang, you got me there'. Somebody just saw an oppertunity and likely called her.

Palin is marginally more credible than Shatner with regards to whose book should you try to take more seriously

No but it also does not show she has a great sense of humor either

Someone can have a sense of hughmor and still get miffed at someone for busting their chops a little too hard or a little to often. At least in my book they can.

She did very well in what was originally a bad idea for her to do.

"getting back at" or "feuding" with William Shatner is just a bad idea.

1) do you really want to go with the Dan Quayle duking it out with a fictitious character route (murphy brown) (and yes, I know that William shatner is not fictitious, but really, that guy's not real! :wacko: )

2) politicians are best off doing comedy routines mocking themselves. Giving the impression that you are "getting back" at someone unless it is done with great self deprecation is a bad idea

3) Fairly or not, she has a reputation for being petty, or vindictive. So doing anything to reinforce that is a bad idea.

4° He's captain Kirk! Do you really want to go there? :D

All of this being said, it was a pretty good skit. Palin got really good asists from O'brien pretending to be uncomfortable by her crashing the show, and Shatner did some very good over the top feigned hurt. I don't know if it was scripted, but whoever had them leaving the stage arm in arm deserves huge props.

Honestly, I didn't think she or the skit for that matter, was all that funny. Shatner's bit, at least was mock beatnik style but she was just reading passages from his book.

Mind you, that's Shatner's shtick, not hers, so we shouldn't expect her to keep up. I'll always give these types props for engaging or attempting to engage is this sort of skit (though Dr. Sac has some good points about why it not make sense for her in this case) and I certainly don't think it was lame or anything. But I just thought, "meh"