[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Did you know people are poor?

WaterMan

Cut back, spend less, work more. If you can't find a job in your chosen profession, then take one (or two) that are "beneath you" and likely pay a lot less. Man up and do what it takes to get by. If all of our kids end up poor and on welfare it will be because we failed to teach them how to avoid it.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe if you actually read what we wrote instead of assuming what we wrote. Look back at my post (post #3). My point was the reason so many people will participate in food stamps or other forms of welfare is there is no longer the stigma associated with them that there once was. Many people no longer look at these assistance programs as a last resort. Used too, people had too much pride to take assistance until they were nearly starving to death. Now they take pride in working the system. It isn't so much an indictment on the poor, as it is to those on the borderline who in decades past took pride in their independence.

Perch you CANT be that dense. You really think people take pride in working the system? Again, you are busy focusing on the small exceptions instead of the vast majority that want to raise themselves out of poverty but cant.

Perch you CANT be that dense. You really think people take pride in working the system? Again, you are busy focusing on the small exceptions instead of the vast majority that want to raise themselves out of poverty but cant.

I think some DO take pride in scamming the system. I guess it's just easier than holding down a real job.

You and Perch have so completely missed the point it isnt even funny . . . :wacko: Apparently these concepts are too broad for you to grasp . . .

Huh? I don't think so. Did I say ALL or some? I think I said some. Does everyone have to view the world with rose colored glasses like you do?

And there's that view again that the only people scamming the system are poor.

Thanks for pointing that out waterman. I guess I see how what I said implies that. Let me rephrase my previous post and say that I DO believe some people take pride in scamming the system.

Huh? I don't think so. Did I say ALL or some? I think I said some. Does everyone have to view the world with rose colored glasses like you do?

Tos . . that has been stipulated by everyone involved that a very small percentage of people game the system. No need to repeat the obvious. Lets move on . . :wacko:

And there's that view again that the only people scamming the system are poor.

What I find astounding that people get angry over 30 bucks in food stamps instead of millions in tax revenue that is avoided by the rich.

The concept of vitrol is inversely proportionate to the amount of money involved.

Food stamps? HUGH problem!

White collar crime that costs millions? Ho hum . . . .

This whole system is like the Emperor;s New Clothes combined with Groundhog Day . . .

What I find astounding that people get angry over 30 bucks in food stamps instead of millions in tax revenue that is avoided by the rich.

The concept of vitrol is inversely proportionate to the amount of money involved.

This whole system is like the Emperor;s New Clothes combined with Groundhog Day . . .

Fraud is bad no matter where it comes from. I get upset when either way. I'm an equal opportunity fraud hater.

Maybe if you actually read what we wrote instead of assuming what we wrote. Look back at my post (post #3). My point was the reason so many people will participate in food stamps or other forms of welfare is there is no longer the stigma associated with them that there once was. Many people no longer look at these assistance programs as a last resort. Used too, people had too much pride to take assistance until they were nearly starving to death. Now they take pride in working the system. It isn't so much an indictment on the poor, as it is to those on the borderline who in decades past took pride in their independence.

LOL at you saying I didn't read what you wrote. It's clear you didn't read the article I posted or you would have seen several instances of people falling back on assistance as a last resort, exactly what you said it should be.

Your "welfare queens" schtick is exactly that - schtick. In the greater scheme of things like a pointless war and income / capital gains tax cheating, it is a gnat on a rhino's ass. And you know it.

Tos . . that has been stipulated by everyone involved that a very small percentage of people game the system. No need to repeat the obvious. Lets move on . . :wacko:

Frankly, how do you know one way or the other how many people "game the system"? I can't imagine that there is even a statistic that could measure this. Doesn't it have to do with the motives of the people on government assistance? How do you measure a motive?

I find it astounding that you jump all over people for lumping a whole group together like ALL of the poor cheat the system and then you do the exact same thing in your first sentence above. Don't blame the rich - blame the people who cheat the system.

Pot meet Kettle (otherwise known as Mr Wallace).

Frankly, how do you know one way or the other how many people "game the system"? I can't imagine that there is even a statistic that could measure this. Doesn't it have to do with the motives of the people on government assistance? How do you measure a motive?

There are,however, stats on income tax cheating. There is even evidence that hiring more IRS investigators would pay for itself dozens of times over and the $$ numbers are much greater. Will you support adding more government workers in order to increase tax revenues?

I've never seen or expect to see any numbers about people cheating the system. Because like you said, it's hard to measure people's motives. Take for example Wesley Snipes. Did he get bad tax advice, need the money, or was he doing hard drugs that kept him in lah lah land. Who knows?

LOL at you saying I didn't read what you wrote. It's clear you didn't read the article I posted or you would have seen several instances of people falling back on assistance as a last resort, exactly what you said it should be.

Your "welfare queens" schtick is exactly that - schtick. In the greater scheme of things like a pointless war and income / capital gains tax cheating, it is a gnat on a rhino's ass. And you know it.

Don't go bringing the war into it - It has nothing to do with people cheating the system.

Don't go bringing the war into it - It has nothing to do with people cheating the system.

It has everything to do with taxes though. In terms of money lost, Iraq and income tax cheats far outweigh welfare cheats. The point is that your righty talking points focus on welfare queens while ignoring truly massive revenue losses.

Give me couple days on this . . I have a relative that is a university professor that teaches social work. He also works part time for the state of WI interviewing and counseling people on food stamps/assistance and volunteers through a church-based charity counseling people on hard times as well.

I think a lot comes from where you fall on the political spectrum.

Right= Assumption that most people that receive food stamps are "gaming the system"

Left= Assumption that most people dont want to remain in poverty.

And yet ANOTHER response to "how people try to cheat the system" and another deferring of original discussion , , , , , how predictable . . .

There are,however, stats on income tax cheating. There is even evidence that hiring more IRS investigators would pay for itself dozens of times over and the $$ numbers are much greater. Will you support adding more government workers in order to increase tax revenues?

I would but before I would agree to it I would love to know how many IRS govt employees are truly hard working people. Private business nowadays is doing more with less people and people like myself are finding ways to work harder and get more done. Seeing how the DMV people work and other govt jobs I think you could have the people currently employed getting more done. If there is a true need and would save tax money I am for it as long as that money comes back to my pocket and not into some other cause.

It has everything to do with taxes though. In terms of money lost, Iraq and income tax cheats far outweigh welfare cheats. The point is that your righty talking points focus on welfare queens while ignoring truly massive revenue losses.

We were not talking about taxes. The discussion was on Assistance and people either needing it and being hard working people or people getting assistance while scamming the system. - At least that is what I thought the discussion was - to me the war has nothing to do with it.

Edited by gbpfan1231

I find it astounding that you jump all over people for lumping a whole group together like ALL of the poor cheat the system and then you do the exact same thing in your first sentence above. Don't blame the rich - blame the people who cheat the system.

Pot meet Kettle (otherwise known as Mr Wallace).

Please tell me you are kidding . . . right? I dont lump anyone together, and that certainly was not the intent.

the issue the concept of proportion, and the purpose of that post. here . . . I will make it easy for you so you can focus on the discussion . .

if you take ONE person cheating for 30 bucks in food stamps . . is that worth more rightous indignation that ONE PERSOn that cheats on their taxes for $10,000? TIA . . . .

There are,however, stats on income tax cheating. There is even evidence that hiring more IRS investigators would pay for itself dozens of times over and the $ numbers are much greater. Will you support adding more government workers in order to increase tax revenues?

And we can start the investigations with most of Obama's cabinet picks. So you're right about it not just being the poor that cheat the system.

I would but before I would agree to it I would love to know how many IRS govt employees are truly hard working people. Private business nowadays is doing more with less people and people like myself are finding ways to work harder and get more done. Seeing how the DMV people work and other govt jobs I think you could have the people currently employed getting more done. If there is a true need and would save tax money I am for it as long as that money comes back to my pocket and not into some other cause.

Why bother then? :wacko::D Extra tax revenue realized through better collection could be offset against deficits. For damn sure it wouldn't be rebated.