[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kitchen Knives

geeteebee

Is there much of a difference between Henckels, Chicago Cutlery, Wusthoff, etc.? Anybody have any personal favorites? Any of you foodie types (ie Bier, Det) have any advice? Thanks in advance. I'll answer yours.

Also, is this a crappy gift for a spouse? She does like to cook.

Don't know but I don't think it's a GREAT gift just because it's so utilitarian. A decent sex toy would be much better :wacko:

After being married for 15 years, I'm not trying to achieve GREAT. I'm just trying to avoid CRAPPY.

Oh, and I think my parents, who'll be with us for Christmas will be taking care of the sex toys. :D

FWIW, I love my Calphalon Katana knives. I had a set of Henckel's prior to this and I feel that the quality of steel is much higher as well as them being better balanced. Oh yeah, the Damascus steel look also makes them very attractive to me at least.

Now with that all being said, they are not cheap. You'll probably end up paying twice what you would for a set of Henckels by the time you are done. BTW, I tend to like the Wustof line of knives better than Henckels myself. However, I'm thinking that this is not the best idea for a Christmas gift. Good knives are actually a kind of personal thing with the heft, balance and feel of the handle in your hand being key elements after construction of the blade itself. If you really want to do the knife thing, you both need to go and handle the knives personally to see which ones fit your style and budget best.

FWIW, I love my _________. I had a set of ________ prior to this and I feel that the quality of ______ is much higher as well as them being better balanced. Oh yeah, the Damascus ________ look also makes them very attractive to me at least.

Now with that all being said, they are not cheap. You'll probably end up paying twice what you would for a set of ________ by the time you are done. BTW, I tend to like the _________ line of ______ better than ________ myself. However, I'm thinking that this is not the best _____ for a Christmas gift. Good ______ are actually a kind of personal thing with the heft, balance and feel of the _________ in your hand being key elements after construction of the _______ itself. If you really want to do the ______ thing, you both need to go and handle the _______ personally to see which ones fit your style and ________ best.

I think we need a Mad Libs, Huddle edition.

I have a set of Henckles and Wusthof... Henckles are higher end model, riveted handle (basically blade and handle are all one pieces with plastic handles riveted) well balanced, heavier, and great feel in the hand. Wusthof are cheaper w. the moulded plactic handle (still about 330 for set of 9) great cutting edge, lighter, but don't hold edge as long. All depends on how much you want to spend.

I had a set of Chicago cutlery, long time ago, wood handle, wouldn't hold edge well...

IMO, most people have more knives than they need. So I think a set may be overkill. I would vastly prefer a really nice 8" chef's knife and pairing knife over a full set and block deal. And that really nice knife would be a Kershaw if I had my druthers.

Sure we all need a bread knife but a cheap serrated knife is not much worse than a nice one. If you butcher a lot of chicken, than a thin butcher's knife is good but for most other meats, a chef's knife is fine.

Mind you, I've never been a gear guy in the kitchen. My collection is a hodge podge of various brands and most of them aren't all that fancy.

IMO, most people have more knives than they need. So I think a set may be overkill. I would vastly prefer a really nice 8" chef's knife and pairing knife over a full set and block deal. And that really nice knife would be a Kershaw if I had my druthers.

Sure we all need a bread knife but a cheap serrated knife is not much worse than a nice one. If you butcher a lot of chicken, than a thin butcher's knife is good but for most other meats, a chef's knife is fine.

Mind you, I've never been a gear guy in the kitchen. My collection is a hodge podge of various brands and most of them aren't all that fancy.

What he said... gotta go with the pro's... But I'd be lost w/o my Klever, how else you gonna split Caribou Ribs?

henckles

wustoff

shun

as det said, even in professional kitchens you only need the basics: chef, pariing, serrated. i like having a decent boning knife, shears, and slicer nearby (minus the peripheral stuff i use, but aren't part of a knife set).

henckles

wustoff

shun

as det said, even in professional kitchens you only need the basics: chef, pariing, serrated. i like having a decent boning knife, shears, and slicer nearby (minus the peripheral stuff i use, but aren't part of a knife set).

Hehe, I like the Shun too but typically mere mortals like us can't afford them.

As an aside, the steel used in the knives makes a big difference as to how the knife will take and hold an edge. Generally, right now the Japanese make the best steel and it isn't even close.

Hehe, I like the Shun too but typically mere mortals like us can't afford them.

As an aside, the steel used in the knives makes a big difference as to how the knife will take and hold an edge. Generally, right now the Japanese make the best steel and it isn't even close.

That was sort of the point I was trying to make by going small. I can only imagine what a set of shun knives would cost but I'd rather have just a pimp 8" chef's knife than a decent full set.

That was sort of the point I was trying to make by going small. I can only imagine what a set of shun knives would cost but I'd rather have just a pimp 8" chef's knife than a decent full set.

I think their base sets start at like $600.

I'm not a pro, but I am a knife snob. I've always loved them and liked playing with them so I bought the set and added to it over the years. I use every one of them including that 5.5" serated jobbie. However, there are some that get used far more than others. My 7" Santoku gets most of the work these days although the 8" Chef's Knife sees its share of work along with the 3.5" Pairing Knife. Indispensible is the set of heavy duty kitchen shears that came with the set though, especially for butterflying fowl.

I've got to concur with Scooby in that I think, if she loves to cook, a great set of knives is a terrific gift. Especially if you will have them a lifetime and can throw all your crappy ones away......LOL. Even though knives sound utilitarian.....it is NOT the same as buying your wife a vacuum cleaner for Christmas. :wacko: Even a Dyson or a Kirby wouldn't get you off the "crappy gift" list.

Chicago cutlery.....just cross them off your list.

And while I can see just getting a few basics and adding over the years, I use ever knife in my block for specific things.

Then again....I'm a kitchen gadgethead. I never get out a garlic press......but I have one.

As far as quality.....I'll defer to the experts in here.

Edited by SteelBunz