[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Computer - Network question

MrTed46

I am bad when in comes to networks.

Background:

I have Verizon FIOS and a wireless network. When I go into a part of my house my wireless network does not work and if I ever go outside (summer time) my laptop does not pick up the signal. So I have an ethernet cable going from that router to this room and when I plug that cable into my laptop everything works fine so I know the wire works.

I want to plug in a wireless router into that wire so that I can extend my wiresless network to that part of the house and outside.

How do I do this? I would prefer to have the same SSID and password if that possible so when I move my laptop from one side of house to other I will not need to reconnect to my wireless network. Basically, I want to extend my range of my wireless network.

The wireless router I am trying to do this with is a Netgear WNR2000

You can set up multiple wireless routers with the same SSID and operating on the same frequency. If you set up a RADIUS server you can even allow login with the same account. That may not solve the outdoor issue though. Depending on how it is constructed, the house may just be very adept at blocking wireless signals.

I am bad when in comes to networks.

Background:

I have Verizon FIOS and a wireless network. When I go into a part of my house my wireless network does not work and if I ever go outside (summer time) my laptop does not pick up the signal. So I have an ethernet cable going from that router to this room and when I plug that cable into my laptop everything works fine so I know the wire works.

I want to plug in a wireless router into that wire so that I can extend my wiresless network to that part of the house and outside.

How do I do this? I would prefer to have the same SSID and password if that possible so when I move my laptop from one side of house to other I will not need to reconnect to my wireless network. Basically, I want to extend my range of my wireless network.

The wireless router I am trying to do this with is a Netgear WNR2000

If you are going from router to router your cable needs to be wired differently. To go from a router to a computer you have to use a straight thru cable, to go from a router to a router you need a cross over cable.

Ethernet Cabling

Edited by T_bone65

If you are going from router to router your cable needs to be wired differently. To go from a router to a computer you have to use a straight thru cable, to go from a router to a router you need a cross over cable.

Ethernet Cabling

Most modern switches, hubs, routers, have autosensing cross over allowing you to use a straight cable regardless. Just an FYI.