[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Car Help

alexgaddis

So my car the past few days has decided to just make a click sound when I try to start it...eventually it fires up but this is after turning the key four to five times and only getting a click...I changed the battery but this didn't affect it...is it my starter?

Its a 1999 Toyota Camry (insert TimC joke here)

BFH Back From Hell Internet » Chat

BFH Cabco Trust for BellSouth Debentures Business » NYSE Symbols

BFH Big Friendly Horses Miscellaneous » Hobbies

BFH BeFelsHaber (Commander-in-Chief) Governmental » Nazi Regime

BFH Curitiba Bacacheri, PR, Brazil Regional » Airport Codes

BFH Bitch From Hell Miscellaneous » Funnies

BFH Baby Friendly Hospital Medical » Hospitals

BFH Big Fu*king Hammer Governmental » Police

A "car guy" here at work is now telling me its not the starter if I hear a clicking sound...:wacko:

if it is just the click of the ignition turning that is what I was hearing...if it is the clicking like it is trying to turn over then he could be right...actually the best way to describe what I heard was a turn of the ignition gave me nothing at all from the engine...it was also sporadic...one day start right up a week later, nothing...2 mins later, start right up

A "car guy" here at work is now telling me its not the starter if I hear a clicking sound...:wacko:

I would suggest that you listen to your huddle brethren rather than some random chick dude at work,

if it is just the click of the ignition turning that is what I was hearing...if it is the clicking like it is trying to turn over then he could be right...actually the best way to describe what I heard was a turn of the ignition gave me nothing at all from the engine...it was also sporadic...one day start right up a week later, nothing...2 mins later, start right up

Thats what it is...just a click of the ignition...was it your starter in this case?

if it was cranking...but not firing over then it wouldn't be a starter. a clicking noise is more in line with an issue with battery/starter. you may also want to check all the fuses/relays that are related to the starter before replacing it. but since it does eventually start, & if you're somewhat mechanically inclined, i'd just put a starter in it & see what happens. this same thing happened to me with my '99 jeep cherokee.

Edited by buddahj

if it was cranking...but not firing over then it wouldn't be a starter. a clicking noise is more in line with an issue with battery/starter. you may also want to check all the fuses/relays that are related to the starter before replacing it. but since it does eventually start, & if you're somewhat mechanically inclined, i'd just put a starter in it & see what happens. this same thing happened to me with my '99 jeep cherokee.

Its a fairly easy install if I remember correctly...guess I will just get a new one...

A "car guy" here at work is now telling me its not the starter if I hear a clicking sound... :wacko:

Almost certainly not true.

It could be the starter, or it could be the solenoid. The switch you put the key in isn't big and heavy enough to handle all the power that goes to the starter, so it controls another switch (solenoid) which actually puts all the power to the starter. Now, since the late 80's or so, the solenoid has been integrated into the starter for most vehicles, requiring you to change out the starter for a solenoid change.

Hugh's advice to hit the starter with something is sound. Stronger than a love tap, but don't try to pound it off the block. If it starts then, replace it. Get a lifetime guaranteed one from Auto Zone or similar and mostly those will last 10 years. DON'T go with a 1-year warranted "reman" starter, it ain't worth it. If you're handy at all you can usually change one out with a set of ramps and a metric 3/8" drive set in a couple hours. I'm sure tbimm can offer even better advice if he's around.

Thats what it is...just a click of the ignition...was it your starter in this case?

it was the starter....took it to Carquest to have tested after I removed it and guy said it was bad(going bad)

Can't a starter be checked by an Auto Parts place? I think they can.

yep, but you need to remove it from the vehicle first

Almost certainly not true.

It could be the starter, or it could be the solenoid. The switch you put the key in isn't big and heavy enough to handle all the power that goes to the starter, so it controls another switch (solenoid) which actually puts all the power to the starter. Now, since the late 80's or so, the solenoid has been integrated into the starter for most vehicles, requiring you to change out the starter for a solenoid change.

Hugh's advice to hit the starter with something is sound. Stronger than a love tap, but don't try to pound it off the block. If it starts then, replace it. Get a lifetime guaranteed one from Auto Zone or similar and mostly those will last 10 years. DON'T go with a 1-year warranted "reman" starter, it ain't worth it. If you're handy at all you can usually change one out with a set of ramps and a metric 3/8" drive set in a couple hours. I'm sure tbimm can offer even better advice if he's around.

bold is so true and fwiw mine took me an hour to do and I didnt even jack it up (but it was an explorer so I had a bit of clearance under it)

Its a 1999 Toyota Camry (insert TimC joke here)

Have you thought of force marching that car and starving it of food and water for several days and killing it if it breaks down by chopping it's head off with your samurai sword? Oh wait, that's what they did to the Americans. My bad. Might be yer Jap starter. What you need to do is pull out an atomic bomb and bang it until it surrenders. Don't show any mercy or weakness.

Have you thought of force marching that car and starving it of food and water for several days and killing it if it breaks down by chopping it's head off with your samurai sword? Oh wait, that's what they did to the Americans. My bad. Might be yer Jap starter. What you need to do is pull out an atomic bomb and bang it until it surrenders. Don't show any mercy or weakness.

:wacko:

what the hell? The sweet boat fixing gig fell through???

Yeah. Lets just say it is always nice to call someone and let them know that the job you have offered them has been filled by a family member BEFORE they move 900 miles away for said job. :wacko:

The good news for me is that I burn no bridges so I was able to slide right back into my old job back here in New Orleans as though I had never left. Even better is that while I was gone the boss realized just how much I did around the place so the money is even better than it was before. :D

Yeah. Lets just say it is always nice to call someone and let them know that the job you have offered them has been filled by a family member BEFORE they move 900 miles away for said job. :wacko:

The good news for me is that I burn no bridges so I was able to slide right back into my old job back here in New Orleans as though I had never left. Even better is that while I was gone the boss realized just how much I did around the place so the money is even better than it was before. :D

I am glad it all worked out for the best ! :D

Your "car guy" should know that there are two main components of a starter. One is the actual motor that turns the engine over, and the other is the solenoid that forces the gear to mesh with the flywheel. If you hear only a click under the hood, that is usually the solenoid engaging the flywheel, but the motor isn't spinning. If you hear a whiring sound but the engine isn't turning over, then it's usually the gear not engaging because the solenoid isn't working.

If you only hear a clicking, it can be a bad motor, an electrical issue, or a more severe mechanical issue that prevents the engine from turning over. Taking off the starter and using a known good power source usually can go a long way in figuring out what the issue is. However it isn't necessarily guaranteed. I had one frustrating instance where the starter refused to work on the minivan, but tested fine off. It ended up being a loose connection internally that would make contact for a short period when jostled removing it. It took 3 trips to the store to have it tested before it stopped working off the vehicle.