[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Phillies fans

SLAYER

C'mon ya'll can't all be focusing on the Eagles.

Halladay in, Lee out.

Great deal for the Phils. Doc wins the NL Cy next year. Will give up a lot of Hr's but they will be mostly solo shots. Hell I may have to even root for the Phils a few times this year. :wacko:

C'mon ya'll can't all be focusing on the Eagles.

Halladay in, Lee out.

Great deal for the Phils. Doc wins the NL Cy next year. Will give up a lot of Hr's but they will be mostly solo shots. Hell I may have to even root for the Phils a few times this year. :wacko:

Most in the city don't know how good Halladay really is, and thus the deal is getting lukewarm praise. Giving up Lee (who became a cult hero in his stint here), in addition to our 2nd-best outfield prospect (Taylor) AND top pitching prospect (Drabek) is pretty steep. Many are thinking going from Halladay to Lee is a sideways move....that unless you were adding Halladay to Lee and Hamels for a phenomenal 1-2-3 punch, whats the point?

But the reality is, we were likely to lose Lee after next year to free agency, and be left with no one. The fact we could sign Halladay to a 3-year extension at a "hometown" discount was huge. Locked up the best pitcher in baseball for 3 years...if Hamels can return to form, they form a tremendous lefty-righty combo. And apparently, the releiver prosepct we are getting from the Mariners could be our closer should Lidge continue to falter.

IMO, we got a better, but we did indeed pay a price to do so in losing can't-miss Kyle Drabek.

Philadelphia could give up pitchers J.A. Happ, Joe Blanton and outfielder Dominic Brown as part of a deal, the person said. Those three players also took physicals in Philadelphia on Monday.

This is from CBS. Are the Phils giving up Happ ?

This is from CBS. Are the Phils giving up Happ ?

Had heard Happ's name mentioend, but sources here are saying its Drabek, because that was what killed the deal for Halladay last summer (Phillie's desire to hold onto Drabek).

I'd be shocked if Brown is incldued....some have him ranked as the #1 minor-leaue prospect in all of baseball, and heir-apparent to right-field once we lose Werth next yer to free agency (Phils won't pay Werth $15M+).

I love the halladay deal....Arguably the best pitcher in baseball and he's a righty!!

I think getting rid of Cliff Lee was kinda stupid....Yes we got 3 prospects in return but I hear that there just "okay" Why not keep Lee for the 2010 season and have Halladay,Lee,Hamels at the top of the rotation? Screw it....Let Lee walk next year we'll still have Halladay locked up...If were unloading our prospects b/c we have the win now attitude then why not stamp another world series trip right now?

I understand the Phils have a budget but your freaking billionaires you can pay a few extra million to have Lee and Halladay on the same roster for 1 season.......Citizens bank sells out every damn night...it doesnt matter if its a monday vs the reds or a saturday night game vs the mets....the place always sells out. Your gonna make the money....How many times does a team have a chance to go back to the world series(better yet 3 times in a row)? Sure I think we still have a shot to make it back but can we beat the yankees or the red sox? I dunno....But with Halladay,Lee at the top I think our season will be nothing but disapointment if we didnt win the world series :D:wacko:

I love the halladay deal....Arguably the best pitcher in baseball and he's a righty!!

I think getting rid of Cliff Lee was kinda stupid....Yes we got 3 prospects in return but I hear that there just "okay" Why not keep Lee for the 2010 season and have Halladay,Lee,Hamels at the top of the rotation? Screw it....Let Lee walk next year we'll still have Halladay locked up...If were unloading our prospects b/c we have the win now attitude then why not stamp another world series trip right now?

I understand the Phils have a budget but your freaking billionaires you can pay a few extra million to have Lee and Halladay on the same roster for 1 season.......Citizens bank sells out every damn night...it doesnt matter if its a monday vs the reds or a saturday night game vs the mets....the place always sells out. Your gonna make the money....How many times does a team have a chance to go back to the world series(better yet 3 times in a row)? Sure I think we still have a shot to make it back but can we beat the yankees or the red sox? I dunno....But with Halladay,Lee at the top I think our season will be nothing but disapointment if we didnt win the world series :D:wacko:

They were not getting Halladay without giving up Lee.

Technically they could have kept Lee but they wanted to replace some of the youth ...honestly I do wish we would have kept Cliff too...Halladay, Lee, Hamels, Happ/Blanton would have been nice to see....but I also love getting the right handed arm and add to it that according to what tim keurjin(sp) said, Halladay has led MLB(maybe AL) in ground balls the past 2 yrs (maybe he said 3)...that sure will be nice in Philly

The Halladay trade doesn't involve Lee. Only reason they are trading Lee is dumping salary to pay for Halladay....is that what you meant?

In fact, I have no die why the Phils are so anxious to trade Lee. They should be in no rush...and can take time getting teams like the Ranger/Angels/White Sox involved. Settling on 3 so-so minor leaguers seems a bit odd.

There are a few things that bother me about the Lee move.

#1 - Since none of the prospects we got for Lee were sent to Toronto, why couldn't the Phils wait to trade Lee and play a few teams against each other like

swammi said. The Angels would seem to be pretty desperate to land an ace now.

#2 - If the Phils didn't tender Blanton they could have moved him for lesser prospects and then rec'd 2 first round picks when Lee left after this season.

Blanton is scheduled to make only $2M less then Lee this year. A rotation of Halladay, Lee, Hamels, Happ, and Kendrick/Moyer/whoever would be

sweet.

#3 - I'm still upset that the Phils gave Moyer a 2 year deal. That money could have been used to keep Lee this year.

well evidently you guys are front runners to land jason bay....i actually would love to see the phils move Ibanez and make a run at Bay but I know that was just a pipe dream.

I hope you are right but with Mets these days , good news does not come often so i wont believe it till i see it with Bay

In listening to Amaro's press conference, some items jumped out:

1. Felt they needed to do the Lee deal to replenish the farm system so they could make some midseason moves if needed. Basically, they didn't want the cupboard bare.

2. Without actually saying so, many interpreted some comments he made in the realm of "not wanting to get the fans hopes up by keeping Lee on the roster for any period of time". Basically meaning they wanted the deal done ASAP to eliminate any increased public unhappiness.

3. Said they did indeed talk to other teams leading up to the trade, but no one came close to offering what the Mariners did. This we'll never know.

Dave Montgomery was then on WFAN, and said the team actually lost money this past year (hard to beleive), and there was no way they could expand the payroll more than they already have (up next year to $140M from $128M in 2009). Miscinelli asked if there wasn't a desire to increase the payroll just one season, sicne it was such a unique situation of getting a Cy Young arm in Lee for only $9M...Montgomery said it just wasn't possible to do it with the money they have committed, and reiterated Amaro's desire for restocking the farm system to give them some flexibility if a greater need arises mid-season.

We'll see how this plays out. They certainly didn't hurt themselves in getting halladay. If payroll to truly maxed to the point of not being profitable, then I guess there is nothing they could have done. Me? I'd have sent an immedate email to season ticket holders, polling them on whether they'd take a $2 per ticket increase to pay for Lee's salary. I imagine 90% or more would have gladly done so. They raise the prices for all single game seats $3. if they are selling out 70 of 81 games, they can afford to price their product a tad higher.

Wow, as Mariner fan I am loving this deal!! Lee will love pitching in Safeco

Seattle now has the best 1-2 punch in MLB with King Felix and Lee

Now the ? is what to do with Bedard

Not a fan of the Phillies, but you can't overlook now Halladay and Hamels. Or Webb and Haren in AZ..

The Mariners do have the best righty lefty 1-2 out there..

Edited by Shorttynaz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...