[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

i'm saddened today to report my mother-in-law has just passed

buddahj

she was diagnosed with cancer about 6 months ago. she had to have parts of her stomach & intestines removed about 4 months ago & has been in & out of the hospital ever since. she was rushed back to the hospital yesterday & was touch & go until about an hour ago. needless to say, my wife & her family are wrecks right now. this is the 1st time my kids have had to deal with anything like this. i feel so helpless right now. she was so closer to her mom...it just breaks my heart to see them her way. it sucks not being able to fix this.

my mother-in-law has been battling the same type of cancer for a few years now. she's recovering from hernia surgery now, the hernia probably brought on by all the chemo, etc. she is also very close to our kids and it will be traumatic for them when she does pass away.

feel for you bro. your family is in our prayers.

So sorry to learn of your loss. Death of a loved one is hard whenever it comes - it seems particularly cruel when it comes during the holidays.

Having been through something similar, I learned that there is something you can do to help. Your wife is naturally beside herself and will be - that is grieving.

Your children on the other hand, while also sad, are going to have natural questions about the death process, what happens now? - and worse. You can shield your overwhelmed wife from this and answer all the kid's questions honestly. Make yourself available for their questions.

My point is, do everything you can to allow your wife to just be a daughter during this difficult time.

So sorry for your loss Buddah. I went through the exact same thing a little over a year ago. My wife was exceptionally close to her Mom. Your wife and family need you more than ever right now. My advice is for you is to just react. Let your wife grieve and just be a comforting presence for her. If she wants to just cry , be there with a hug. If she wants to talk just listen and reassure her that you are there for her.

The first time she goes through things that she associated with her mom or goes through a holiday, or anniversary of her passing , is the hardest. It could be something as small as hearing a song or passing by a store that may trigger thoughts of her mom and make her sad. When my wife sees someone around her age with their Mom out doing mother daughter things together it hits her and reminds her of her loss. This happening around Christmas for you makes it even more difficult.

Be a rock bro. Sometimes that means being there with her. Sometimes it means just giving her some alone time and taking the kids for the day. This is a huge moment for you as her husband. You can get her through this. My wife has made terrific progress in the 15 months since her moms passing and her head is in a much better place. Sure she has her moments still and her mom is never very far from her thoughts but she has progressed for sure.

A line that I have repeated on here and a line that my wife said to me that truly delivered the message to me as to what she needed to me was this. Right when my MIL got sick we knew the prognosis was unfortunately grim. She had a very aggressive cancer with a low survival rate. My wife told me she was going to need to spend as much time humanly possible caring for her mom and being with her and in the event that she passed my wife said the aftermath as far as her state of mind was going to be a long difficult road. The line that got me was when she was trying to stress how strong she needed me to be for everybody she told me that I needed to be like a Marine. For some reason that particular line delivered to me what was expected of me.

I wish you all the best bro and I send you and yours big prayers from NJ. Peace

Edited by whomper

i want to thank you all again for all the words of encouragement. the funeral was today & my wife said something today that really struck home . i've been hanging out with the same group of friends for over 15 years. even though most of them didn't know my wife's mother very well, quite a few of them showed up today to pay their respects. afterwords, my wife said, "i always thought of them as your friends until today. now i know the're OUR friends." i never knew she felt that way until today. needless to say, we had a very emotional moment.

Edited by buddahj