[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The 2010 Book Thread

CaP'N GRuNGe

A few days early, but why not? I intend to read more in 2010.

I got a few books for Christmas / my birthday:

Subterranean - James Rollins first book

The Templar Legacy - Steve Berry (my first of his)

Seven Deadly Wonders - Matthew Reilly (my first of his)

Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand (guy at work has been pestering me to read for a while now)

Thriller - Anthology of Thriller Short Stories from like 32 thriller authors

I had been reading the Rollins' Sigma Force books and was just about half way through The Last Oracle but have left it for quite a while so might need to start over (hate that).

My brother-in-law has been on a reading frenzy and has read 2-3 Preston/Child books starting with The Relic in a couple of days each. I think i need to check into those soon too.

So whatcha reading? :wacko:

Finished Seven Deadly Wonders and The Templar Legacy. Both weren't bad. Didn't really care for Reilly's writing style at first but it was OK in the end.

Next up: Term Limits by Vince Flynn

Recommended from a buddy at work. Series of books based on counter terrorism in the Jack Bauer mold I guess. Hey, if Glenn Beck and Rush rave about Flynn's books they can't be half bad right? :D

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Finished Seven Deadly Wonders and The Templar Legacy. Both weren't bad. Didn't really care for Reilly's writing style at first but it was OK in the end.

Next up: Term Limits by Vince Flynn

Recommended from a buddy at work. Series of books based on counter terrorism in the Jack Bauer mold I guess. Hey, if Glenn Beck and Rush rave about Flynn's books they can't be half bad right? :D

Finished Term Limits. I'll probably hit the next book in the series though as it was a pretty quick read for 600 pages and entertaining.

Now what to read next... Subterranean by James Rollins it is.

What is everyone else reading? :wacko:

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

I'm an English major, so the list is long....

But favorite selections from what I've read in the past year,

Ask the Dust, John Fante

The Unpossessed, Tess Slesinger

Invisible Man, Ralph Ellison

Flight to Canada, Ishamel Reed

Edited by kpholmes

Finished Term Limits. I'll probably hit the next book in the series though as it was a pretty quick read for 600 pages and entertaining.

I finished up Alter of Eden by Rollins about a month ago. I really liked it since it was a nice change of pace from the Sigma series. I have since read two more Philip Mercer books by Jack Du Brul and am now 80 pages into Reilly's Five Greatest Warriors which is a continuation of The Seven Ancient wonders and Six Sacred Stones. Typical, Reilly - nonstop unbelievable action but a mind-numbing escape.

Edited by twiley

I finished up Alter of Eden by Rollins about a month ago. I really liked it since it was a nice change of pace from the Sigma series. I have since read two more Philip Mercer books by Jack Du Brul and am now 80 pages into Reilly's Five Greatest Warriors which is a continuation of The Seven Ancient wonders and Six Sacred Stones. Typical, Reilly - nonstop unbelievable action but a mind-numbing escape.

I see Rollin's Doomsday Key is coming out in paperback on May 25th and he has a new Sigma book called The Devil Colony coming on June 22nd.

I got a bunch of books for christmas, which I still haven't touched.

the basketball book by bill simmons

the road to serfdom by hayek

a farewell to alms by gregory clark

I can't even remember what else.

the only thing I've actually been reading lately is the bible, trying to slog through the whole thing in a year, since it's been quite a while since I hit some of the OT stuff.

Lot's of NF. Right now I'm attempting to learn about the funeral industry.

Last fiction I read was John Twelve Hawks' Traveler trilogy. Thought the first book was intriguing but the latter two had diminishing returns.

I am reading book number 1 of the Sookie Stackhouse series that true blood was based on. I am enjoying it because I love the show. So far there hasnt been much deviation from the show. I am about 220 pages in to book 1. Got the whole set for Christmas. My only knock on it is the sex scenes are described in a corny Danielle Steele type of way. Other than that I am really enjoying it.

just finished Sin In The Second City. It's about two madam's from Va that moved out there and set up a world famous brothel at the turn of the 20th century. crazy times back then. weird to read about how the world actually worked and how incredibly corrupt that time was.

about to start reading The Last Lecture by Ray Pausch. Looks like a tear jerker for sure.

I finished "The Road" a few weeks ago. It's probably the best story of a father/son relationship. You just have to get past the horrible butchering of the English language (how he won the Pulitzer prize for this is beyond me because his work is written like a 3 year old in sentence structure - all fragments)

In the last month I've read:

Atlas Shrugged

The Road

Wheel of Time: The Gathering Storm

Some romance novel my wife had on weekend trip where I forgot to bring a book.

I'm currently reading:

Liberty and Tyranny by Mark Levine

True Blue by David Baldacci

Arguing With Idiots by Glenn Beck (perfect toilet reader)

The Bible

Next on my list:

Anthem by Ayn Rand

The Road to Serfdom by F.A. Hayek

I'm an English major, so the list is long....

But favorite selections from what I've read in the past year,

Interesting, a few of my good buddies were/are English majors. Typically, I like to give them crap about it. :D But seeing as you're a Raiders fan I assume you are proficient with small arms so I'll keep it to myself. :wacko:

Anyway, I haven't read for just "enjoyment" in quite awhile but I just ordered A Game of Thrones by R.R. Martin (found a used copy on Amazon for $4). After running into a few conversations about the book it seems like it might be in my wheelhouse. It's got a bit of a Lord of the Rings feel to it from what I've heard so far. I know it's long but hopefully I'll get a chance to start the series soon.

I'm waiting for the final 2 books to be released; then I'll start the series over.

Same here. Of course, I could probably start it all over and be done with the first 11 by the time the last two come out!

Interesting, a few of my good buddies were/are English majors. Typically, I like to give them crap about it. :D But seeing as you're a Raiders fan I assume you are proficient with small arms so I'll keep it to myself. :wacko:

Anyway, I haven't read for just "enjoyment" in quite awhile but I just ordered A Game of Thrones by R.R. Martin (found a used copy on Amazon for $4). After running into a few conversations about the book it seems like it might be in my wheelhouse. It's got a bit of a Lord of the Rings feel to it from what I've heard so far. I know it's long but hopefully I'll get a chance to start the series soon.

I've been waiting for the next Game of Thrones book since Martin hasn't been so keen on getting the next one out. I think he was writing a hugh volume and then decided to cut it in half and sell two books.

I just finished 11 Month,11th Day, 11th Hour, Armistice Day, 1918, World War I and Its Violent Climax and Conn Iggulden's The Death of Kings (four book series about Julius Caesar). So I've got the third installment to start reading (The Field of Swords), and am about halfway through All Quiet on the Western Front with The Catcher on the Rye on deck...

Same here. Of course, I could probably start it all over and be done with the first 11 by the time the last two come out!

I've been waiting for the next Game of Thrones book since Martin hasn't been so keen on getting the next one out. I think he was writing a hugh volume and then decided to cut it in half and sell two books.

I just finished 11 Month,11th Day, 11th Hour, Armistice Day, 1918, World War I and Its Violent Climax and Conn Iggulden's The Death of Kings (four book series about Julius Caesar). So I've got the third installment to start reading (The Field of Swords), and am about halfway through All Quiet on the Western Front with The Catcher on the Rye on deck...

Read All Quiet back in high school. Good read. Also have Catcher in the Rye on my shelf waiting for me. I've got Martin's first book in the series but haven't read it yet, as well as a couple of the Jordan series books but haven't started those either.

I thought All Quiet was good but I don't know if I could read that again. That book and Catcher and the Rye were both HS required reading. Catcher was ok, but I remember thinking the story was kind of pointless. I liked the way some of the characters were written but overall, I don't remember thinking it was "fun" to read.

Finished Subterranean. Think I might hit a short one like Animal Farm next.

In the last month I've read:

Atlas Shrugged

The Road

Wheel of Time: The Gathering Storm

Some romance novel my wife had on weekend trip where I forgot to bring a book.

You read Atlas Shrugged and 3 other books in a month?