[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The 2010 Book Thread

CaP'N GRuNGe

You read Atlas Shrugged and 3 other books in a month?

No kidding. I've read 4 books this year which is a huge jump for me. I'm staring at Atlas Shrugged on my shelf here and a bit intimidated to even start it as it's like 1200 pages of extremely small font.

How did you read so much so quickly Perch?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read two books in 2 days last week...neither was a super-heavy read - Superfreakonomics and Drinking with George by George Wendt; I was hoping to crank through another but I've been bogged down by Salt: A World History.

I'm staring at Atlas Shrugged on my shelf here and a bit intimidated to even start it as it's like 1200 pages of extremely small font.

It took me almost 3 months to read Atlas. The Galt speech alone took over a week, and I felt like I hadn't scratched the surface of it.

Over the last 3 years or so I've read:

Catcher in the Rye

Atlas Shrugged

Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates - Tom Robbins

The Naked and the Dead - Mailer

Survivor - Chuck Palahniuk

The Road - McCarthy

The Fountainhead

Narcissus and Goldmund - Hesse

Kitchen Confidential - Tony Bourdain

Watchmen

Hamlet (and a few critical compilations on it including Harold Bloom's)

A Confederate General from Big Sur - Brautigan

Endgame - Samuel Beckett

Edited by SheikYerbuti

No kidding. I've read 4 books this year which is a huge jump for me. I'm staring at Atlas Shrugged on my shelf here and a bit intimidated to even start it as it's like 1200 pages of extremely small font.

How did you read so much so quickly Perch?

I don't watch late night tv. I read for about two to three hours each night. If we go somewhere on vacation like the beach where we just lounge around I'll read a book a day or pretty close to it. I just like to read.

Recent reads - Revisited Atlas Shrugged, followed by The Fountainhead. Both just terrific works.

Someone Knows My Mame was very good. A good read for anyone.

Dan Brown's Lost Symbol - like his other books, good stories, but not good writing. Meh.

The Hunger Games - young adult lit, but good light reading.

Crichton's State of Fear

For Whom the Bell Tolls - find myself in need of Hemingway once ot twice a year.

TRs autobiography - also a revisit. Love Teddy.

Child of God by Cormac McCarthy. A must for necrophilia fans. :wacko: Seriously love the way McCarthy writes about the most disturbing aspects of humanity.

The Alchemist - a great one for everybody to read once a year or so.

Dan Brown's Lost Symbol - like his other books, good stories, but not good writing. Meh.

Finished it last night. My Dad let me borrow it for a few days. I really like the stories, but the writing really does suck. I do like reading him with a computer nearby so I can check some of the things he points out about art and architecture.

I finished up Alter of Eden by Rollins about a month ago. I really liked it since it was a nice change of pace from the Sigma series. I have since read two more Philip Mercer books by Jack Du Brul and am now 80 pages into Reilly's Five Greatest Warriors which is a continuation of The Seven Ancient wonders and Six Sacred Stones. Typical, Reilly - nonstop unbelievable action but a mind-numbing escape.

Just finished up Five Greatest Warriors - not bad but everything got a little repetitive. Same story line basically but at least he wraps everything up this time.

I can knock out 4 books a month too. Like perch, I probably read for about 2-3 hours a night around 9pm.

I challenge you to read Atlas Shrugged, Ulysses, Les Miserables, and War and Peace in a month.

For the James Rollins fans, I just signed up for his newsletter and in his latest issue he released a lost chapter from his first book Subterranean:

Subterranean - The Lost Chapter (Newsletter Exclusive)

March 2010

This chapter ended up on the cutting-room floor during final edits. I resisted letting it go because I really liked how these three scenes unfolded. The purpose of this chapter was to show how the assassin Bizan took over the guise of the geologist Kahlid and to explain how the assassin obtained the explosives he would use later in the book.

In this chapter, I also introduced a minor character—a Eurasian woman wearing a Chinese dragon pendant (who deals in illegal arms trafficking). I hated to see her cut out of the story...so I resurrected her as Seichan for the Sigma series. So here is the never-before-seen chapter featuring an early rendition of Seichan...along with a bit of nastiness from Bizan/Khalid.

The chapter takes place in Buenos Aires, on the day before the team sets out for Antarctica.

Below is the link where you can download a PDF version of the lost chapter. Enjoy!

:wacko:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I finally started reading The Road To Serfdom by Hayek. It has been on my night stand for several months, but for some reason I got on a fiction kick and put it on the back burner. Anyway, I'm really liking it so far. Who knew I was such a liberal. Watch out weigie, here I come.

I got tired of waiting for A Dance With Dragons to be finished by GRRM so I just started the Wheel of Time series (Eye of the World is the first book I believe). About 35% of the way through that. So far so good.

Just finished Relic by Preston & Child. Good stuff. :wacko:

Think I need to pick up the next one Reliquary soon.

I was a little disappointed in Reliquary. Seemed like they were just writing a sequel to write a sequel.

Google Jeff Long - The Descent

Pretty kick ass book that I read again from time to time.

I just finished "The Wild Vine" by Todd Kliman. It tells the history of the Norton grape (a avitus vinefera and vitus aestivalis hybrid developed back in the 1820s here in VA) and it has a fair bit about the owner of the winery I work at, Jenni McCloud of Chrysalis Vineyards.

I just finished "The Wild Vine" by Todd Kliman. It tells the history of the Norton grape (a avitus vinefera and vitus aestivalis hybrid developed back in the 1820s here in VA) and it has a fair bit about the owner of the winery I work at, Jenni McCloud of Chrysalis Vineyards.

Norton performs very well here in Missouri.

Been on a fantasy kick the last few months. Currently reading the final book in the Night Angel Trilogy by Bent Weeks. Before that was The Name of the Wind by Rothfuss, The Warded Man and The Dessert Spear both by Peter V Brett, and the First Law Trilogy by Abercrombie.

Been on a fantasy kick the last few months. Currently reading the final book in the Night Angel Trilogy by Bent Weeks. Before that was The Name of the Wind by Rothfuss, The Warded Man and The Dessert Spear both by Peter V Brett, and the First Law Trilogy by Abercrombie.

Welcome back (you and your avatar)! :wacko:

Lot's of NF. Right now I'm attempting to learn about the funeral industry.

Last fiction I read was John Twelve Hawks' Traveler trilogy. Thought the first book was intriguing but the latter two had diminishing returns.

I didn't know he had released the 3rd one..... The first one was great, second one, ok.

Just started The Black Swan - Nassim Nicholas Taleb