[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"The" "Official" "BCS Championship Game" "Thread"

Chief Dick

won't even read this entire thread, and i'm taking a little huddle sabbatical, but i can't express enough how bummed i am, not just as a UT fan but a fan of college football and football in general... you are on crack if you think this game wouldn't have been MUCH different had colt not been knocked out in that first series... what a complete and utter disappointment, but that just goes to show you how critical injuries to key players can totally change the game... hook 'em in 2010

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But for that bonehead crap at the end of the half from Mack, this would have been a game anyway. Unfortunate for Texas. Bama is hardly dominating this thing.

Fault Mack Brown for giving his OC all the power in play calling, but don't fault him for that play. Greg Davis is an Ricky Ricardo, and he drew up that work of genius.

won't even read this entire thread, and i'm taking a little huddle sabbatical, but i can't express enough how bummed i am, not just as a UT fan but a fan of college football and football in general... you are on crack if you think this game wouldn't have been MUCH different had colt not been knocked out in that first series... what a complete and utter disappointment, but that just goes to show you how critical injuries to key players can totally change the game... hook 'em in 2010

Think of it this way. With McCoy out Texas fans can always DREAM. :wacko:

BAMA ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!! :wacko:

Thats all that matters folks........

Debate all you want about the BCS. McCoy going down. Blah Blah Blah.

If you think Saban dials down the offense during the entire 2nd half with the game still in the balance and UTs starting QB still on the field... you need to rethink the way you watch college football. :D

Alabama did EXACTLY what they had to do to win the game. Sorry for Texas fans (my wife is one) but once Colt went out this one was over.

If you think Saban dials down the offense during the entire 2nd half with the game still in the balance and UTs starting QB still on the field... you need to rethink the way you watch college football. :wacko:

Well, if you think UT is down 24-6 at half WITH Colt McCoy, when Alabama actually had their hands full with a freshman QB, then perhaps you should heed your own advice and rethink the way you watch college football.

How is BSU only #4 in the final AP poll?

The same way USC was voted #1 back in 2003. That's why I favor the BCS over the old personality AP contest.

What was fun to watch last night was ESPN's Fowler in the post game reminding us several times of Nick Saban's 2003 national championship with Pete Carroll sitting right next to him. :wacko:

The same way USC was voted #1 back in 2003. That's why I favor the BCS over the old personality AP contest.

What was fun to watch last night was ESPN's Fowler in the post game reminding us several times of Nick Saban's 2003 national championship with Pete Carroll sitting right next to him. :wacko:

:D

The thing that should be debated is whether or not Tim Tebow would have sat out that game with that injury? :wacko:

Hmmm...McElroy injured in SEC title game

"I cracked my ribs in the third quarter against Florida," McElroy said outside the locker room. "Two of them -- the ninth and the 10th. Left side. It's bad. I got it numbed up before the game and it was killing me at halftime."

Just saying http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls09/news/story?id=4807296

Despite my homer predictions I really thought Alabama was the better team going into last night. After the game I really think Texas is the best team in the nation. They lost their starting QB midway though the first serious and were still within 3 points of Alabama in the 4th quarter. If McCoy hadn't gotten hurt I think Texas would have won that game by 10-14 points.

Despite my homer predictions I really thought Alabama was the better team going into last night. After the game I really think Texas is the best team in the nation. They lost their starting QB midway though the first serious and were still within 3 points of Alabama in the 4th quarter. If McCoy hadn't gotten hurt I think Texas would have won that game by 10-14 points.

I feel bad for Texas fans I don't see how you can come to such conclusions from one game half, you don't think Alabama had a natural tendency to put their guard down after the half against a freshman QB?

I feel bad for Texas fans I don't see how you can come to such conclusions from one game half, you don't think Alabama had a natural tendency to put their guard down after the half against a freshman QB?

You don't have to feel bad for us. We've been there before and we'll be back. They won, fair and square, so congrats to them. They beat Texas and Florida back to back and are worthy champs. But excuse me if I don't ride their jock.

BAMA came in over confident, came out with a poor game plan (throwing early and often to get their QB sacked multiple times in the 1st Q), made several bone-headed plays (especially on special teams), allowed a true freshman QB to bring his team back to within 3pts with the ball late in the game. AND, as you said, let their guard down with a national title on the line. Against a team that the ESPN-SEC mafia has been telling the world that BAMA was going to dominate.

Yeah, I'm proud of the 'Horns.

Edited by Company of Heroes

If McCoy plays, Texas gets Alabama's full attention throughout the whole game. Instead of taking 1.5 quarters off thinking the game was over. The results would have been the same just a whole lot closer. :wacko: But we'll never know so we are both right in our own minds.

your delusional

Guess you think Oklahoma is better than Texas, right?

Thing about it though was that a lot of players not named McCoy had a chance to step up and make plays to help the kid out and didn't. The kid threw what was a very catchable TD pass and the guy didn't grab it. The announcers kept saying that these guys need to realize there's a freshman QB back there and catch anything near them. But, at least in the 1st half before I went to bed, they weren't.

McCoy also doesn't play D and, once Bama got down to doing what they do, they started running all over them. In fact, the only thing that stopped them in the 1st half was getting cute.

Now, I do not intend to downplay how important the loss of McCoy was. However, a NC caliber team needs to show more sack in the face of adversity than UT showed for, again, at least the part I saw, last night. From the looks of things, they nutted up in the 2nd, but where was the leadership on D in the first? Those guys needed to play out of their heads right then and, instead, were arm-tackling.

Thing about it though was that a lot of players not named McCoy had a chance to step up and make plays to help the kid out and didn't. The kid threw what was a very catchable TD pass and the guy didn't grab it. The announcers kept saying that these guys need to realize there's a freshman QB back there and catch anything near them. But, at least in the 1st half before I went to bed, they weren't.

McCoy also doesn't play D and, once Bama got down to doing what they do, they started running all over them. In fact, the only thing that stopped them in the 1st half was getting cute.

Now, I do not intend to downplay how important the loss of McCoy was. However, a NC caliber team needs to show more sack in the face of adversity than UT showed for, again, at least the part I saw, last night. From the looks of things, they nutted up in the 2nd, but where was the leadership on D in the first? Those guys needed to play out of their heads right then and, instead, were arm-tackling.

Prior to McCoy going out the whole team was fired up and kicking ass. As soon as it became apparent that McCoy wasn't going to get back in the game, the team had an emotional let down. I'd also say that Texas showed plenty of sack as you put it, as they were within three points of the lead midway through the 4th quarter. Had McCoy stayed in the game it would have been either 10-0 or 14-0 instead of 6-0 at the end of the second possession. Had McCoy stayed int he game it is doubtful they throw the shuttle pass at the end of the 2nd quarter that was bounced around for a pick six. Had McCoy stayed in the game it is very doubtful that the 3rd, 4th, and 5th possessions of the game would have been 3 and outs. Texas showed the country (well anyone but SEC fans) that they are a better team than Alabama.

Don't think the problem was the Texas D.

Texas offense gave up 5 turnovers that turned into 21 pts. The last score of the first half off the shovel pass was not on the defense.

Both of the other 1st half TDs given up by the defense were while the 'Horns were calling predictable vanilla plays for the new QB on relatively short fields. They were losing the battle of field position and time of possession was something like 23 minutes to 7 minutes in favor of BAMA. The 'Horns D held BAMA to a field goal after a turnover gave BAMA the ball inside the 'Horns 30 yard line.

In the 2nd half, the only non-garbage time BAMA points were at the 2 minute warning after the getting the ball on the Texas 3 yard line. Not on the defense.

BALLGAME.

As a Texas fan, my gripes were too many WR drops and the play calling for the first two series when Gilbert took over. Run on 1st and 2nd against stacked lines and then throw on 3rd and long. They really needed to mix in something else on early downs and avoid being so predictable.

-Heroes

Edited by Company of Heroes

Prior to McCoy going out the whole team was fired up and kicking ass. As soon as it became apparent that McCoy wasn't going to get back in the game, the team had an emotional let down. I'd also say that Texas showed plenty of sack as you put it, as they were within three points of the lead midway through the 4th quarter. Had McCoy stayed in the game it would have been either 10-0 or 14-0 instead of 6-0 at the end of the second possession. Had McCoy stayed int he game it is doubtful they throw the shuttle pass at the end of the 2nd quarter that was bounced around for a pick six. Had McCoy stayed in the game it is very doubtful that the 3rd, 4th, and 5th possessions of the game would have been 3 and outs. Texas showed the country (well anyone but SEC fans) that they are a better team than Alabama.

+1

Hard to stomach the BAMA apologists that gripe at Texas fans for saying, 'It would have been a different game if McCoy were healthy'. Then in the same breath give BAMA a pass for letting Texas back in the game by saying, 'They would have played better/harder if McCoy was in the game'.

Respectfully, I disagree (although I am an SEC fan). Texas may well be the better team but we don't know. Here are the flaws in your argument: You assert that if McCoy was in the game, Texas leads either 10-0 or 14-0 and not 6-0. Maybe. You can't say you know that. That would be like saying Oklahoma, say in a 2008 NC game, would definitely score if they had four chances to do so from the one yard line, so long as Bradford was in. We simply don't know. (By the way, Oklahoma didn't score with Bradford in as the Gator defense mounted a wonderful goal line stand).

Had McCoy stayed in the game, it is doubtful that Alabama would have gone into ultra-super-conservative mode on offense throughout much of the 2nd half. Alabama ran quite well against Texas in the first half, when the Texas defense was not tired. In the 2nd half, when it was apparent that Alabama wasn't going to take any chances at all offensively, Texas was able to stop Alabama.

I know that perception is reality and you perceive the game one way and I another. For me, this game was a huge disappointment because although I believe Alabama is the better team, I will not know with certainty because of the injury to McCoy. Texas might very well have won, they might have lost even with McCoy but no one knows. There was certainly nothing that happened on the field after McCoy left that would allow anyone to assert with certainty who would have won/lost should McCoy have played the entire game.