[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"The" "Official" "BCS Championship Game" "Thread"

Chief Dick

Look what Texas offense was able to do in the 2nd half once they realized that Alabama was going ultra conservative on both offense & defense.

How come Alabama didn't stop the pass as efficiently in the second half is the better question?

The answer of course is obvious: Bama 24 Texas 6 at halftime

So you're saying Alabama could have shut down the pass, but chose not to? Give Garrett Gilbert some credit. He was put into a horrible position and settled down in the second. What about the last Texas scoring drive? Was Bama not trying there either?

Alabama won the game, but you've got to be kidding me with this post.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, congrats to Bama for running through the best conference for the last few years undefeated and for winning the National Championship game. None of that can be taken away and they are very deserving of the hardware that they earned this year.

As for the game itself, what a disappointment to have a three time Heisman candidate knocked out of the game early and not to return. No matter if you had a dog in the fight or not, it made for a boring game and did not live up to expectations. I will speak for myself when I saw Colt go out of the game; I thought if he does not return, the game could be over. Not because Texas has holes on either sides of the ball, but because Colt is the leader of the team and I felt they needed him to play and to play well to win this game.

I would bet that many Longhorns, players and coaches had similar thoughts on his return and the outcome of the game. “Let’s keep it close”, go into half time down 7-10 points and we can win the second half, and the game. One thing I did not see, sadly, was not one player or coach pulled the team together and got them refocused on executing their assignments each play and asking for someone to step up and make a BIG play. The team looked like LSU in the last 30 seconds of a game, everyone just staring into space.

I am sure Mack addressed that at half, but that was too late IMO and should have been done on the sideline midway through the first quarter!!

So who wins if Colt plays? We will never know the answer to that question, Bama fans say same result, we just would have gotten there differently and Horns say we were only down 3 with under 4 mins to play with a true Frosh QB, we win by 10. This game will always have an asterisk on it for me, not to take away from Bama, just B/C we will never know, what we do not know.

Wow, you're posts have been as incendiary and offensive as any in this thread. Thought you might be a little thicker skinned.

I am, I was channeling the substance of most of your own posts into a single one hahahahaha.

So who wins if Colt plays? We will never know the answer to that question, Bama fans say same result, we just would have gotten there differently and Horns say we were only down 3 with under 4 mins to play with a true Frosh QB, we win by 10. This game will always have an asterisk on it for me, not to take away from Bama, just B/C we will never know, what we do not know.

\\

I shall not cry for your ridiculous asterisk. Conditioning is part of the game and your QB was exposed as unprepared.

Alabama's game plan went conservative - good for Saban - when McCoy went down. When the game tightened, that changed a bit.

You can claim all you want that Texas could have, would have and might have - but you are only deluding yourself.

Alabama won, fair and square and that victory is already in the history books.

I am, I was channeling the substance of most of your own posts into a single one hahahahaha.

Really surprised that your 'hate filled racist propaganda' remark was based on a post of mine.

If your not just trying to stir the pot and something I said offended you, let me know what it was.

I thought I was being pretty level headed. Yes, I'm a Texas fan and I've conceded BAMA is the rightful champ. But I just don't buy into the SEC worship.

-Heroes

(tried this for a PM, but your box was full)

So you're saying Alabama could have shut down the pass, but chose not to? Give Garrett Gilbert some credit. He was put into a horrible position and settled down in the second. What about the last Texas scoring drive? Was Bama not trying there either?

Alabama won the game, but you've got to be kidding me with this post.

Not saying chose not to, but no urgency to do so. Have you ever watched Saban coach in these type blowout games? Most LSU fans were predicting Saban's team would do exactly what we saw because that's what he did when he coached at LSU.

Not sure if you play or watch golf much or not, but if you are 6 strokes up with 9 to play do you take a more conservative approach or do you keep hitting the driver on tight par 4's? Do you layup to Par 5's or go for the green in 2? Do you lag those 40 footers or do you run them by the hole 2 or 3 feet?

\\

I shall not cry for your ridiculous asterisk. Conditioning is part of the game and your QB was exposed as unprepared.

Alabama's game plan went conservative - good for Saban - when McCoy went down. When the game tightened, that changed a bit.

You can claim all you want that Texas could have, would have and might have - but you are only deluding yourself.

Alabama won, fair and square and that victory is already in the history books.

I'm wondering if you're fishing here.

You watch a certain amount of football. You must be aware that an injury can happen on any play regardless of conditioning. Was Tom Brady poorly conditioned and unprepared when he was tackled last season and his knes went out? How about when Tim Tebow got knocked out against Kentucky--was he poorly conditioned and unprepared?

I also assert that the game would not have tightened if Alabama had not gone into ultra-conservative mode.

And finally, I saw nowhere where anyone said that Alabama did not win "fair and square." However, for many, there will always be some doubt, some wonder, an asterisk is you will, because McCoy went out of the game on the first series.

As a fan of a team that had a freshman quarterback vaulted into action during a game, I have a hard time diminishing the effect of having the team leader get knocked out of a game. Texas' gameplan was centered around having Colt McCoy there. You throw in a freshman QB, all of the sudden, at halftime you have to devise a new gameplan centered around his strengths and weaknesses, and you're going against the best defense in the country. In other words, you're behind the proverbial 8 ball. I don't think saying that takes away from Alabama's win, OR more impressively, their undefeated season.