[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rumor has it for the B10..

millerx

Notre Dame will never join the Big Ten, at least not as long as they are able to bring in the revenue that they do as an independent with basically its own television network.

I've heard RUMORS that the Big Ten is not interested in many of the schools in the Big 12 and other conferences that may seem like a good fit geographically, and were more interested in schools that fit their academic standards. One of the schools that I heard fits the "academic criteria" was Syracuse. Can't remember if Pitt was one as well, but like I said, it was just a rumor (I have no link).

I believe Texas was on the "list" as well. Obviously, I have no idea if there is any "merit" to these rumors or not... I just found it interesting, since I had been thinking more along the lines of geographic matches for the Big 10, while it appears that geography is WAY down on their list of criteria in finding a potential 12th school. That is, if the rumor has any merit at all. :wacko:

Notre Dame will never join the Big Ten, at least not as long as they are able to bring in the revenue that they do as an independent with basically its own television network.

I've heard RUMORS that the Big Ten is not interested in many of the schools in the Big 12 and other conferences that may seem like a good fit geographically, and were more interested in schools that fit their academic standards. One of the schools that I heard fits the "academic criteria" was Syracuse. Can't remember if Pitt was one as well, but like I said, it was just a rumor (I have no link).

The Big 12 school I hear most often is Mizzou. ND would be SUCH a good fit, but that isn't realistic. I've heard Cincy as well.

Here is an article about some of the academic specifics:

An important consideration to admitting any new member, Gee said, would be academic credentials. All Big Ten members belong to the Association of American Universities, a consortium of the nation’s 62 leading research institutions. So are four universities being mentioned for potential Big Ten inclusion — Missouri of the Big 12, and Pittsburgh, Rutgers and Syracuse of the Big East.

Link

So, I guess Missouri maybe WOULD meet the standards. :wacko:

According to wikipedia, Pittsburgh is in an upper academically.

Wikipedia also has quite a bit of history on the topic:

Following the addition of previously independent Penn State, efforts were made to encourage the University of Notre Dame, the last remaining non-service academy independent, to join the league. Early in the 20th century, Notre Dame had sought official entry into the Big Ten but was never extended an invitation.[11] However, in 1999, both Notre Dame and the Big Ten entered into private negotiations concerning a possible membership that would include Notre Dame. Although the Notre Dame faculty senate endorsed the idea with a near unanimous vote, the ND board of trustees decided against joining the conference and Notre Dame ultimately withdrew from negotiations. [2]

The University of Texas also approached and entered into discussions with the Big Ten in the 1990s. UT was keen to upgrade it's academic profile and depart the SWC and desperate to seek affiliation with the Pac 10.

"Texas wanted desperately the academic patina that the Pac 10 yielded," recalls UT President Robert Berdahl,[citation needed] who went on to serve as chancellor at Pac-10 member California-Berkeley. "To be associated with UCLA, Stanford and Cal in academics was very desirable."

Still, expansion in the Pac-10 depended on unanimous approval of the member schools. And Stanford, which had long battled UT in athletics as well as academics,[citation needed] objected. For UT, the way west never materialized.

UT next approached the Big Ten. Having added Penn State in 1990, the Big Ten was now made of universities that, in the view of UT officials, matched UT's profile — large state schools with strong academic reputations. Berdahl liked the fact that all 11 conference members belonged to the American Association of Universities.

Yet, distance remained a disadvantage. Iowa, the closest Big Ten school to Austin, was 856 miles away.

But after adding Penn State in 1990, Big Ten officials had put a four-year moratorium on expansion. Although admitting interest, Big Ten bosses ultimately rejected UT's overtures.

Around 1993, it was also explored by the league to add Kansas, Missouri, and Rutgers, or other potential schools to create a 14-team league with two divisions.[12] These talks died when the Big 8 Conference merged with former Southwest Conference members to create the Big 12.

I read that out of all of the teams that do qualify, Texas is #1 in terms of whatever formula they use with their qualifications. Another interesting thing is that the way the Big 12 shares TV revenue, Texas (and Oklahoma) receive the lions share. Despite that, Texas would actually gain significantly more revenue if they were in the Big Ten, even though the Big Ten splits the pie equally between all teams. We all know that money talks. Personally I feel UT is a longshot, but certainly Missouri wouldn't like that deal. A couple years ago I read that Nebraska was another school as a possibility.

There's no doubt that the Big Ten would love to add a 12th team, to get the big money conference championship game. As a Big Ten fan, I would LOVE Texas to join the conference, but that's a pie in the sky deal I feel. Not so high on Missouri or Pittsburgh. Rutgers is intriguing. Wish Syracuse could turn things around, because they would be an excellent fit as well, but they've fallen on some very tough times.

I've heard some of the chatter here in Nebraska but I'd be a long shot. Missouri and Rutgers are who I believe are the most likely. Missouri already has border rivalries with Illinois and Iowa. The idea behind Rutgers is to get more TV revenue from the New York area. As a big 12 fan, I'm fine with losing Missouri as we'd probably be able to pick up a decent team to replace them (some said possibly TCU).

I wonder how long that will be the case if they continue to be such a non-factor in terms of BCS bowls and such. Pretty soon, there will be far too many football fans who can't remember when ND was any good at all. They'd better hope Kelly gets this thing turned around.

I've heard the same thing about Pitt, so there must be something to it. Makes sense to pair up Penn St with a regional rival as well.

I've heard some of the chatter here in Nebraska but I'd be a long shot. Missouri and Rutgers are who I believe are the most likely. Missouri already has border rivalries with Illinois and Iowa. The idea behind Rutgers is to get more TV revenue from the New York area. As a big 12 fan, I'm fine with losing Missouri as we'd probably be able to pick up a decent team to replace them (some said possibly TCU).

I guess the Ks/Mizzou rivalry would become a non-conference game then.

Mizzou makes TONS of sense; I didn't realize that it was that good a school academically. Mizzou also makes a lot more sense geographically than Pitt or Rutgers.

No offense to the fans of Missouri, but their addition to the Big 10 does nothing to excite me in regard to enhancing the Big 10.. However it's not a horrible choice either, if that's all that's available (meaning Notre Dame in the next 5 years). To me adding Missouri would be like adding another Illinois or Minnesota to the Big 10 mix. Not a bad pickup just not a homerun pickup. Like when the SEC selected it's last two teams Arkansas & South Carolina if you know what I mean. Neither of those programs were ND caliber either. But certainly not bad choices.

Now is there any other team out there besides Notre Dame that would excite me possibly more than Missouri joining the Big 10? :wacko:

Pittsburgh? About equal to Missouri :D

Syracuse? Short term Syracuse would excite me more, but if their football continued to stink my opinion would change quickly

Rutgers? No way can Rutgers compete with Missouri or Syracuse.

West Virginia? What can I say...but :D

Texas? Even if they joined it just wouldn't be right. Texas would be like Michigan joining the ACC or SEC

Nebraska? On the other hand, the Cornhuskers would fit right in with the Big 10. That would get me excited. Imagine the matchups? :D

Of course, the Big 12 would go nuts, but I think the conference could survive with all the teams remaining and they could pick up maybe BYU, TCU or even possible but not likely Arkansas? I could see this if it weren't for the $$$$. I always wished the SEC would have taken Texas A&M & Florida State myself. But that's a different topic.

No offense to the fans of Missouri, but their addition to the Big 10 does nothing to excite me in regard to enhancing the Big 10.. However it's not a horrible choice either, if that's all that's available (meaning Notre Dame in the next 5 years). To me adding Missouri would be like adding another Illinois or Minnesota to the Big 10 mix. Not a bad pickup just not a homerun pickup. Like when the SEC selected it's last two teams Arkansas & South Carolina if you know what I mean. Neither of those programs were ND caliber either. But certainly not bad choices.

Now is there any other team out there besides Notre Dame that would excite me possibly more than Missouri joining the Big 10? :wacko:

Pittsburgh? About equal to Missouri :D

Syracuse? Short term Syracuse would excite me more, but if their football continued to stink my opinion would change quickly

Rutgers? No way can Rutgers compete with Missouri or Syracuse.

West Virginia? What can I say...but :D

Texas? Even if they joined it just wouldn't be right. Texas would be like Michigan joining the ACC or SEC

Nebraska? On the other hand, the Cornhuskers would fit right in with the Big 10. That would get me excited. Imagine the matchups? :D

Of course, the Big 12 would go nuts, but I think the conference could survive with all the teams remaining and they could pick up maybe BYU, TCU or even possible but not likely Arkansas? I could see this if it weren't for the $$$$. I always wished the SEC would have taken Texas A&M & Florida State myself. But that's a different topic.

Pretty much agree with everything you said. I like the idea of Rutgers personally. Don't know why. It's a program that has upside too it.

Mizz is upset about the Big 12 Revenue sharing. The Big 12 doesn't even come close to the types of monster TV deals that the Big Ten and SEC have secured, and the Big Ten shares it equally for everyone. Big 12 is pro-rated, so Oklahoma and Texas receive the lions share. But as I said, even in the case of Texas, they would still get more revenue joining the Big Ten, even sharing it equally. Not sure how the SEC shares revenue.

The whole process does go to show you that the Big Ten (and Pac 10 for that matter) look at more than just athletics. It's not just an athletic conference. I mean the whole idea of the Big Ten to begin with was for academics. It's not a simple process, and a lot more goes into it than just saying... wow, Miami, Boston College, and Virginia Tech would certainly improve our football conference, lets flash them the dough.

Pretty much agree with everything you said. I like the idea of Rutgers personally. Don't know why. It's a program that has upside too it.

Mizz is upset about the Big 12 Revenue sharing. The Big 12 doesn't even come close to the types of monster TV deals that the Big Ten and SEC have secured, and the Big Ten shares it equally for everyone. Big 12 is pro-rated, so Oklahoma and Texas receive the lions share. But as I said, even in the case of Texas, they would still get more revenue joining the Big Ten, even sharing it equally. Not sure how the SEC shares revenue.

The whole process does go to show you that the Big Ten (and Pac 10 for that matter) look at more than just athletics. It's not just an athletic conference. I mean the whole idea of the Big Ten to begin with was for academics. It's not a simple process, and a lot more goes into it than just saying... wow, Miami, Boston College, and Virginia Tech would certainly improve our football conference, lets flash them the dough.

While I will agree the Big 10 does carry a better academic reputation than the SEC, it does seem when the Big 10 selected Penn State they were more concern about the Nittany Lions football reputation than educational. Don't kid yourself, the Big 10 leaders are probably Big 10 educated, so they know the value of a dollar and they know you can't ever have enough $$$. They see what the SEC has accomplished of late and they want part of that $$$ action too...ASAP even if it waters down their academic reputation somewhat.

Look the Big 10 has enough Vandy Universities, so I say go out and get yourself a Bama or LSU type team/school like a Nebraska. :wacko:

Edited by Rockerbraves

While I will agree the Big 10 does carry a better academic reputation than the SEC, it does seem when the Big 10 selected Penn State they were more concern about the Nittany Lions football reputation than educational. Don't kid yourself, the Big 10 leaders are probably Big 10 educated, so they know the value of a dollar and they know you can't ever have enough $$$. They see what the SEC has accomplished of late and they want part of that $$$ action too...ASAP even if it waters down their academic reputation somewhat.

Look the Big 10 has enough Vandy Universities, so I say go out and get yourself a Bama or LSU type team/school like a Nebraska. :wacko:

I think you need to do a reality check there Ace. The academics at Penn State are every bit as good and better than most of their brethren in the Big Ten.

Here's just a selection of university ranking statistics from Penn State's page Please note that for Academic All-Big Ten Honorees for the 2007/08 school year, Penn State ranks second in Conference.

Here's an interesting little blog on the subject of Big Ten expansion including the academic rankings of the current Big Ten teams and some prospective new schools. By their very nature rankings are subjective but to cast Penn State as second tier academically, well you really have no clue as to what you're talking about.

Let me get this straight... so what you are telling me is that the academic requirements for a prospective football player are harder in the Big 10 than the SEC?? hmmmm... I didn't know that.

You have to realize that it's merely people responding to rockerbrave's trolling. Judge accordingly.

Let me get this straight... so what you are telling me is that the academic requirements for a prospective football player are harder in the Big 10 than the SEC?? hmmmm... I didn't know that.

I think the academic requirements are higher for prison than they are for football players in the SEC.

I didn't say a thing about the SEC. I merely said that calling Penn State second rate academically was a very ignorant position to take.

I think you need to do a reality check there Ace. The academics at Penn State are every bit as good and better than most of their brethren in the Big Ten.

So you honestly think the Big 10 invited Penn State to enhance their academic reputation? :wacko:

Will it obviously doesn't enhance that much considering they now have 11 schools in a conference still called the Big 10. :D

So you honestly think the Big 10 invited Penn State to enhance their academic reputation? :wacko:

Will it obviously doesn't enhance that much considering they now have 11 schools in a conference still called the Big 10. :D

You can't be serious. No, I'm sure the Big 10 didn't say, "Gee, we really need to upgrade our academic rep, let's go get Penn St."

However, I'm sure they were a very appealing candidate because they were a football powerhouse that also happened to not undermine any claims the Big 10 has to being a collection of schools with good academic reputations.

It's not really that hard to understand.

You can't be serious. No, I'm sure the Big 10 didn't say, "Gee, we really need to upgrade our academic rep, let's go get Penn St."

However, I'm sure they were a very appealing candidate because they were a football powerhouse that also happened to not undermine any claims the Big 10 has to being a collection of schools with good academic reputations.

It's not really that hard to understand.

Thanks for making my point. Not knocking a Penn State education. Just saying if the Nittany Lions were not a powerhouse football program back then there would still be 10 teams in the Big 10. Now the purpose of getting a 12th school by the Big 10 is pretty much $$$ driven, wouldn't you agree? Which obviously means the criteria for selection should be $$$ driven which to me as least would be Nebraska over Missouri despite which school had the so called better academic ranking. Like I said before, Big 10 already has too many Vanderbilt like football programs.

Edited by Rockerbraves

And let's not forget Ohio State is also in the Big Ten!

On a selfish note, I would love to see PITT join the Big 10. I miss that rivalry, although Paterno is to blame for why they aren't playing non-conference games. Penn State doesn't have a REAL rivalry in the Big 10. PITT would be perfect.