[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Old Nintendo system sells for $13,105

buddahj

Everyday folk discovering colossally valuable collectors' items amid everyday junk has been the lifeblood of antiques shows for years, but it's not every day you see a real-life gold-in-the-attic tale play out on eBay.

Last week, North Carolina eBay user lace_thongs35 thought she was putting up an everyday, 80s-era Nintendo Entertainment System (together with five games) up on the popular auction site. But less than an hour after the first bid, the price was over $6,000 -- and on Wednesday, when the auction closed, the final selling price topped $13,000.

Why? Not the console itself, but one of the games bundled with it -- a deeply obscure 1987 release called Stadium Events, a highly sought-after collectors' item. But it wasn't even the game itself that was worth the bulk of the money -- it was the original cardboard box, which collectors value at a breathtaking $10,000. Fewer than 10 complete copies of the game are thought to exist, and retro gaming aficionados consider it one of the hardest-to-find NES games ever made.

Bet you're wishing you hadn't let Mom throw out your Nintendo collection now, eh?

:wacko:

So I don't get it. If a game REALLY sucks and they only made 10 copies... It's now valuable? I had plenty of NES games but why would I buy one that sucks so bad they canned it after 10 copies. :wacko:

It has nothing to do w/how good the game is. It's old and rare, therefore it's valuable. It's so obvious that I'm kicking myself for not seeing this and scooping up a bunch of old Nintendos, Intellivisions etc back when.

I got kind of excited and was going to call my parents after seeing what the game looked like to see if they still had our Power Pad and World Class Track Meet. Then I read the wiki page where the valuable game was what WCTM was prior to being rebranded. Oh well. I guess back to playing our pong system.

same thing goes with old pink Hot Wheels. In 68 Mattel wanted to capture some girls market share and made some cars in pink. no boys wanted them so they hung and weren't bought. now those pink ones are some of the one worth the most

Edited by loaf