[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Palin, daughter lash out at 'Family Guy' episode

buddahj

JUNEAU, Alaska – Sarah Palin is lashing out at the portrayal of a character with Down syndrome on the Fox animated comedy "Family Guy." In a Facebook posting headlined "Fox Hollywood — What a Disappointment," the 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee and current Fox News contributor said Sunday night's episode felt like "another kick in the gut." Palin's youngest son, Trig, has Down syndrome.

The episode features the character Chris falling for a girl with Down syndrome. On a date, he asks what her parents do.

She replies: "My dad's an accountant, and my mom is the former governor of Alaska."

Palin resigned as Alaska governor last summer.

Palin's oldest daughter, Bristol, also was quoted on her mother's Facebook page, calling the show's writers "heartless jerks."

"When you're the son or daughter of a public figure, you have to develop thick skin. My siblings and I all have that, but insults directed at our youngest brother hurt too much for us to remain silent," she is quoted as saying.

"If the writers of a particularly pathetic cartoon show thought they were being clever in mocking my brother and my family yesterday, they failed," Bristol Palin added in the Monday posting. "All they proved is that they're heartless jerks."

Palin wrote that she'd asked her daughter what she thought of the show and Bristol's reply was "a much more restrained and gracious statement than I want to make about an issue that begs the question: When is enough enough?"

This isn't the first time Palin has spoken out over an attack, real or perceived, on her family. Last year, she condemned a joke David Letterman made about her daughter, for which he later apologized.

A "Family Guy" publicist didn't immediately return an e-mail seeking comment.

I thought it was pretty funny.

Edited by buddahj

Wow...

I wanna laugh and be mad at the same time.

Odd feeling lol

I have a nephew with downs and it's no laughing matter.

But then again it's Family Guy and anything goes.

Wow...

I wanna laugh and be mad at the same time.

Odd feeling lol

I have a nephew with downs and it's no laughing matter.

But then again it's Family Guy and anything goes.

+1

The Family Guy writers are equal opportunity when it comes to making fun of people, race, religion, ect...

+1

The Family Guy writers are equal opportunity when it comes to making fun of people, race, religion, ect...

Thats a good point too. I don't think theres something they HAVENT made fun of.

actually, it was a great episode for people with Downs, tho family members of people with downs are way too close to appreciate what they did.

They portrayed people with downs are normal people. Chris says that the chick with Downs is 'hawt' and is too nervous to ask her out. He does and it turns out that she's a complete bitch. Chris ends with something like, "I thought you people were nice and that we'd have a good time. I guess you're just like everyone else".

If that's a not a huge statement to treating people with downs like regular people, i don't know what is.

Similar to the thought process South Park has used regarding Timmy and Jimmy.

actually, it was a great episode for people with Downs, tho family members of people with downs are way too close to appreciate what they did.

They portrayed people with downs are normal people. Chris says that the chick with Downs is 'hawt' and is too nervous to ask her out. He does and it turns out that she's a complete bitch. Chris ends with something like, "I thought you people were nice and that we'd have a good time. I guess you're just like everyone else".

If that's a not a huge statement to treating people with downs like regular people, i don't know what is.

Good deal. Then I believe Sarah over reacted.

Similar to the thought process South Park has used regarding Timmy and Jimmy.

Yes good point.

TIMMAHHHHHHH!

cripple fight!

Edited by RWWB75

This reminds me of when Isaac Hayes quit South Park because they were "insensitive" towards Scientology, but skewering every other religion that wasnt his, was somehow "ok".

But the personal hit was out of taste . . . plenty of material to make fun of Sarah Palin without going after her kids.

But the personal hit was out of taste . . . plenty of material to make fun of Sarah Palin without going after her kids.

I agree with this. I think Palin is a ridiculous, stupid buffoon but she was specifically targeted for mockery of HER Downs kid in this episode, a whole lot different to generally mocking Downs itself. It'd be nice to see some of these smarmy "writer" sleazeballs catch some of their own flak.

So just to recap:

Rush using the term retard: No problem

Family guy making retard jokes: Problem

Man this is tough to keep up with.

Rush quoted what Emanuel said. He never actually said it himself.

I agree with this. I think Palin is a ridiculous, stupid buffoon but she was specifically targeted for mockery of HER Downs kid in this episode, a whole lot different to generally mocking Downs itself. It'd be nice to see some of these smarmy "writer" sleazeballs catch some of their own flak.

+1

We should be making fun of Obama and the fact that he will probably turn out to be a worst President than Jimmy Carter. And then watch the hippies get up in arms about that. I swear we should have a "No shoes, no voting" policy so every dummy on the West Coast can't screw this country again.

I think most of us with a few neurons understand who Palin was in 2008 -- an unqualified desperation pick by the McCain team who would have been a disaster. The campaign was racked with guilt over it too, once they saw what they really had -- just the implications for the country if McCain won and Palin was one heartbeat away from being leader of the free world. That she is still so popular and has 2012 buzz is a testament to where the Republican party is right now.

And you'd think she would have learned something by now, but nope...commenting on a Family Guy episode??

I didn't watch the episode so I can't really comment on whether or not it was over-the-top tasteless or just run-of-the-mill Family Guy tasteless.

I can say that I would take Palin's outrage a little more seriously if it wasn't for last week's "retard gate" which I thought was ridiculous as well as inconsistent.

We should be making fun of Obama and the fact that he will probably turn out to be a worst President than Jimmy Carter. And then watch the hippies get up in arms about that. I swear we should have a "No shoes, no voting" policy so every dummy on the West Coast can't screw this country again.

:wacko:

How do you define irony?

:wacko:

How do you define irony?

I define irony as starting a "Let's make fun of Obama's children, but it's all just in good fun" and watching the libs get up in arms. A Democrat is the most hypocritical animal on the planet. They can dish it out, but they sure can't take it. Heck, we can barely talk about how truly ugly Michelle really is with that horseface of hers without the ZOMGers reporting the thread and crying to their Harry Reid/Nancy Pelosi jizz-stained portrait hanging on their wall in the house some Republican is helping pay for while they sit on their couch perfecting the art of laziness and pot-smoking.

I define irony as starting a "Let's make fun of Obama's children, but it's all just in good fun" and watching the libs get up in arms. A Democrat is the most hypocritical animal on the planet. They can dish it out, but they sure can't take it. Heck, we can barely talk about how truly ugly Michelle really is with that horseface of hers without the ZOMGers reporting the thread and crying to their Harry Reid/Nancy Pelosi jizz-stained portrait hanging on their wall in the house some Republican is helping pay for while they sit on their couch perfecting the art of laziness and pot-smoking.

All I'm saying is that if he's screwing up the country, you helped as much as any bare footed hippie in California did. :oldrazz:

All I'm saying is that if he's screwing up the country, you helped as much as any bare footed hippie in California did. :oldrazz:

Yeah, like McCain/Palin was the f'n answer. I'd probably be eating Dead Ted Kennedy's meat to survive by now. That, and I didn't realize that Nancy Pelosi's hand would be perpetually stuck up Obama's ass like a puppet telling him what to say and how to dance.

Edited by TimC

Imagine the outcry if Family Guy made Cleveland like Obama for an episode and Stewie put on a dress and played Sasha Obama complete with the social awkwardness of being a teenager. Then maybe we could have Quagmire sleeping with Michelle?

But hey, picking on the less fortunate is more funny...right Rahm Emmanuel?

Edited by TimC