[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A little beer shopping tonight

Puddy

I've had most of Unibroue's offerings and they are awesome! I even own a La Fin du Monde T-Shirt and Unibroue tulip glass given to me by the distributor at one of the beer tastings.

I have in the fridge, a bottle of Southern Tier's Farmer's Tan. An Imperial Pale Lager. 22 oz bottle 9 %

I'm waiting to find their 2XIPA which is supposed to be out in 6 packs.

Picked up a case of this last week - really a nice hoppy beer.

Not a bad price either - $37 for the case

I haven't really tried very many different beers in my time so i'm not familiar with a whole lot of them nor the different styles. I stopped at a wine/beer store and did the build your own 6 pack thing. That concept is so cool. Here's what I came home with:

1) North Coast Brewing Co - Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout : Drinking it right now. Reminds me of Guinness I guess. Not sure I'm a fan of this style. It's not bad, but probably not one I'll go running back to all the time. Very "toasty" tasting for lack of a better word.

2) North Coast Brewing Co - PranQster : This I like I think. I think the stout is still overpowering my tastebuds a bit. :wacko: Yes, i think this may be a repeater.

Haven't tried any of the rest so far:

3) Flying Dog - In-Heat Wheat Hefeweizen

4) Rogue - Dead Guy Ale : Meh, not bad, but nothing great either.

5) Bear Republic - Red Rocket Ale

6) Avery Brewing - White Rascal Ale

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

I haven't really tried very many different beers in my time so i'm not familiar with a whole lot of them nor the different styles. I stopped at a wine/beer store and did the build your own 6 pack thing. That concept is so cool. Here's what I came home with:

1) North Coast Brewing Co - Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout : Drinking it right now. Reminds me of Guinness I guess. Not sure I'm a fan of this style. It's not bad, but probably not one I'll go running back to all the time. Very "toasty" tasting for lack of a better word.

2) North Coast Brewing Co - PranQster : This I like I think. I think the stout is still overpowering my tastebuds a bit. :wacko: Yes, i think this may be a repeater. Haven't tried any of the rest so far:

3) Flying Dog - In-Heat Wheat Hefeweizen

4) Rogue - Dead Guy Ale

5) Bear Republic - Red Rocket Ale

6) Avery Brewing - White Rascal Ale

The six pack assortment is always a good wat to go, Especially with micros. That said, try drinking your lighter beers first and then go to ambers and browns and then to the stouts and porters. Better on the palate as a whole and much more enjoyable for sure. Also drink about four ounces of water in between each new brew you try. I love me some Dead Guy Ale :tup:

Not a beer guy myself, but I'd like to treat my son to something different. His favorite is Newcastle Brown Ale. Any suggestions?

Brooklyn Brown is a good brown that is easy to find.

If you want something a little different, but not exotic, I would recommend Rogue Dead Guy Ale, Stone Pale Ale or Paulaner Oktoberfest since it is in season.

• 2 weeks later...

Dont know if any of you guys can get 3Floydes or not, I have mentioned Alpha King a few times here but I dont know if anyone has tried it. Well, I tried their Dreadnaught the other day. A little expensive at $10 for a pint and a half bottle, but wow. Crazy hoppy with a very smooth citrus finish. Very well balanced and boy does it have some AC to it. Highly recommended.

Also picked up a sixer of Bell's Hopsolution. Havent cracked one yet but I am looking forward to doing so tonight for the Wings game. This must be a new one for Bell's, or at least I have never seen it before.

• 3 weeks later...
Dont know if any of you guys can get 3Floydes or not, I have mentioned Alpha King a few times here but I dont know if anyone has tried it. Well, I tried their Dreadnaught the other day. A little expensive at $10 for a pint and a half bottle, but wow. Crazy hoppy with a very smooth citrus finish. Very well balanced and boy does it have some AC to it. Highly recommended.

Also picked up a sixer of Bell's Hopsolution. Havent cracked one yet but I am looking forward to doing so tonight for the Wings game. This must be a new one for Bell's, or at least I have never seen it before.

I've never seen 3 floyds or bells here in tx. Lagunitas brown shugga just cake out, yummy, picked up a six of that and the greAt divide Denver pale ale. Very tasty

The Hopsolution was pretty good but not in same universe as Hopslam. I liked it but probabaly wont buy it again.

Also like their Gumballhead

• 2 weeks later...

Went to one of those "Build yer own 6 pack" stores:

New Holland - Hopivore - wet hopped ale

Boulder Beer Co. - Cold Hop British-style ale

Green Flash Brewing Co. - West Coast IPA - had this at Brewzilla and it was amazing

Troegs - Mad Elf - 11% ale with honey and cherries

Dogfish - Punkin Ale

O'Fallon - Pumpkin

I love pumpkin ales...

probably have them over this long Holiday weekend

Dogfish - Punkin Ale

O'Fallon - Pumpkin

I love pumpkin ales...

probably have them over this long Holiday weekend

I also love them. I bought O'Fallon this year and thought it was mediocre. DFH is always good but I passed this year to try some others. Michigan Brewing's Screamin' Pumkin Ale was really good. So was Ichabod by Short's (I think it was Short's).

Enjoy.

I am drinking my last Christmas Ale as I type this. Going to the store tomorrow. Hope they have some left.

I got an email yesterday for a chocolate stout I want to try. Detroit Beer Company teamed with Sanders to create the beer. Sanders is a longtime Detroit staple for chocolate so it has my interest peaked. I don't think I've had any beer from DBC yet.

Stuff we got in recently at Dos P:

Terrapin So Fresh and So Green Green Wet hopped Ale (either this or the Founders Harvest is my favorite of the wet-hopped)

Stone Lucky Bastard (blend of double bastard, oak aged bastard and regular bastard) Pretty cool, tons of citrus but still pretty big

Terrapin Big Hoppy Monster

Highland Cold Mountain Winter Ale (slutty as hell but completely delicous)

Lagunitas Brown Shugga (see above)

Lagunitas Imperial Stout (actually a little on the light side)

Bells Java, Special Cream, and Explorator Stouts

2009 Ten Fidy Stout on draught (like motor oil)

A few I tried at my friend's store

Mikkeller Red and White (Red ale blended with Belgian Wit) rich and tart all at once. Very cool stuff

Nogne/Stone/Jolly Pumpkin Collaboration Ale- Rich and spice-laden

Mikkeller Santas Little Helper (still in the fridge)

Stocking up for turkey day, having two families over since we're all transplants:

Rogue Yellow Snow

Ommegang Scotch Ale (can't wait to try this)

Great Divide Jubilation and Yeti Stout

Harpoon Winter Warmer

Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout (mmmmm, the best oatmeal stout around imo)

Lagunitas Brown Shugga

Stone Old Guardian

Left Hand Colorado Wet Hop

Sierra Nevada Chico Organic

Real Ale Coffee Porter

Should be a good holiday :cheers:

I got an email yesterday for a chocolate stout I want to try. Detroit Beer Company teamed with Sanders to create the beer. Sanders is a longtime Detroit staple for chocolate so it has my interest peaked. I don't think I've had any beer from DBC yet.

Meh...disappointed overall. I really couldn't taste much chocolate. It's like a Guiness to me. :wacko: