[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

super-conferences

Cameltosis

They get to dodge the chance to get knocked out in a big 12 championship game (I'm assuming there is no way to do this with a 10 team league).

NCAA rules currently state that there must be at least 12 teams in a conference to do this with splitting into 2 divisions.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Private Ryan, your incoherent rambling gave me a headache -

- Pac 10 has succeeded on every level without Texas, and I think they will be just fine moving forward without them.

- CU, while down at the moment, is probably the best fit culturally, academically and it makes sense. I read where CU has more alumni in California than the rest of hick states combined in the Big 12. Adding Utah gives them nice balance. Boise State? not Pac 10-worthy my man, I don't think they were ever seriously considered.

- UT and OU would have been great additions, but to think they get the same in conference competition in the Big 12 vs the Pac 10 is laughable. Pac 10 is a stronger conference, which has been shown time and time again with USC struggling in conference games quite a bit and destroying the rest of the country out of conference. A little tougher to go into Corvallis or Eugene than College Station, Waco or Lubbock

- Pac 10 is superior to the Big 12 in every aspect, athletically and academically - a quick glance at US NEws top Public Schools shows......

Pac 10 - 1,2,11,34 (not including Stan/USC - which are both obviously great schools)

Big 12 - Texas comes in at 15

would have been cool, but at the end of the day not a hugh deal

You think Nebraska or Colorado wish they had stayed now. Im sure when Nebraska gets their ass handed to them in the Big 10 4 times a year they would think so, but then again, that happened here as well. And the Pac-10 got caught with their pants down on colorado. they rushed them in, to avoid having to take Baylor to fill out their 16 teams, and the talent decided to stay put and Colorado is now yours. Opps.

no doubt there is some truth to this. colorado's a pretty good fit in the pac 10, there have been mutual flirtations there going back years if not decades. but yeah, they didn't want the texas posse trying to force baylor on them, so they sealed the deal with CU preemptively. did that cost them the mega-conference they were seeking? doubtful, but I guess it's possible. I'm sure colorado is fine with joining the pac 10, and I'm sure the pac 10 is fine with adding colorado. so I don't think anybody is getting "stuck" with anybody they didn't want.

I haven't followed this that closely, but heard that Colorado by jumping ship prematurely and thinking everyone else will follow them will now lose $5-$7 million per year because of the move. Somebody could lose their job over this...

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

I haven't followed this that closely, but heard that Colorado by jumping ship prematurely and thinking everyone else will follow them will now lose $5-$7 million per year because of the move. Somebody could lose their job over this...

naw - while the Pac 10 has a terrible tv deal now, they will have a new tv deal in 2011-2012 I believe and bigger than the Big 12 could offer

Pac 10 is superior in every way - great move for the Buffs

I think this is in regards to the the money they'll owe the Big 12 (Mack 10) for leaving the conference. My understanding (could be wrong) is that they will owe 5-7M per year for 2 years.

Pac 10 is superior in every way - great move for the Buffs

meh, not really. big 12 is probably a better football conference. probably better basketball conference as well. pac 10 is better academically, but I still have a hard time seeing why that is even a consideration in this stuff. it seems to me like your school's academic reputation stands on its own and really has almost nothing to do with what stupid sports conference they play in. just makes no sense to me.

in any case, in most respects, I would call it a lateral move. the main issue at the time was the potential of everything unravelling and CU somehow ending up with nowhere to go but the MWC. so they jumped the gun a bit and made 100% sure they kept a seat at one of the big boy tables. probably a good move at the time, but in retrospect they didn't gain much. all else being equal, I guess I'd probably rather see them preserve the old big 8 heritage, but that ship has sailed.

meh, not really. big 12 is probably a better football conference. probably better basketball conference as well. pac 10 is better academically, but I still have a hard time seeing why that is even a consideration in this stuff. it seems to me like your school's academic reputation stands on its own and really has almost nothing to do with what stupid sports conference they play in. just makes no sense to me.

in any case, in most respects, I would call it a lateral move. the main issue at the time was the potential of everything unravelling and CU somehow ending up with nowhere to go but the MWC. so they jumped the gun a bit and made 100% sure they kept a seat at one of the big boy tables. probably a good move at the time, but in retrospect they didn't gain much. all else being equal, I guess I'd probably rather see them preserve the old big 8 heritage, but that ship has sailed.

couldn't disagree more- the Pac 10 is a better football conference without question IMO, I think the Big 12 has been highly overrated and been exposed in bowl games as such.

The Pac 10 has more quality programs in place than the Big 12, which has some serious bottom-feeders, week in and week out the Pac 10 plays a better brand of football

A big reason CU made the move is the new Pac 10 tv deal will be more lucrative than they could get in the Big 12

couldn't disagree more- the Pac 10 is a better football conference without question IMO, I think the Big 12 has been highly overrated and been exposed in bowl games as such.

The Pac 10 has more quality programs in place than the Big 12, which has some serious bottom-feeders, week in and week out the Pac 10 plays a better brand of football

A big reason CU made the move is the new Pac 10 tv deal will be more lucrative than they could get in the Big 12

We can agree to disagree. On the big stage the Big 12 is represented 7 years outta 10, where only SC twice has been involved. No one else in the pac-10 really gets any attention nationally, and texas and OU would be getting that press had they changed to the west coast.

Im not going to get into a pissin match on which conference is better in football, because it can go back and forth on any given year. But the fact remains Texas and OU did what was in their best interest staying put. I dont think losing the 2 we lost hurting the conference much if at all. Just my opinion. This past season Colorado was on par with Kansas St, and Iowa St just beat Nebraska. Any given week anything can happen. How many times did a great SC team lose to Oregon St, but killed a much better Cal or Oregon team. The beauty of college football is until teams line up and play it out, everything is in the eye of the beholder. I personally think OU is the best every year until Im proven wrong. Which happens alot, but I cant tell you how awesome 2000 was, and when Im right oh man its special.

We can agree to disagree. On the big stage the Big 12 is represented 7 years outta 10, where only SC twice has been involved. No one else in the pac-10 really gets any attention nationally, and texas and OU would be getting that press had they changed to the west coast.

Im not going to get into a pissin match on which conference is better in football, because it can go back and forth on any given year. But the fact remains Texas and OU did what was in their best interest staying put. I dont think losing the 2 we lost hurting the conference much if at all. Just my opinion. This past season Colorado was on par with Kansas St, and Iowa St just beat Nebraska. Any given week anything can happen. How many times did a great SC team lose to Oregon St, but killed a much better Cal or Oregon team. The beauty of college football is until teams line up and play it out, everything is in the eye of the beholder. I personally think OU is the best every year until Im proven wrong. Which happens alot, but I cant tell you how awesome 2000 was, and when Im right oh man its special.

I think it boils down to two very good conferences; two conferences that simply play different football. Apples to oranges? Maybe a bit.

Losing Colorado is no big deal. They aren't going anywhere athletically, and fit the Pac-10 academically to a tee. Losing Nebraska will sting a little, IMO, but they fit with the Big-10 much more.

I think the Big-12 staying in-tact is a good thing, but it all hinges on division re-alignment. OU and UT need to be in opposite conferences.

There won't be division reallignment in the Big 12. The bylaws state they must have 12 teams to have two conferences and thus basically plan to have one division of 10 where everyone plays each other (9 game conference schedule). In basketball they'll do similar to the PAC 10 and have an 18 game conference schedule.

Edited by myhousekey

The Big 12 will play the other 9 games a season + 3 non conference games. What I dont like about this format, is like the Pac-10 and Big -10 there will be the possabilty of co-champions, which is the stupidest thing ever.

Personally there is nothing Id like to see more than Texas and OU play a 2nd time for all the marbles. Not sure if this gets us closer to that or not. But not having a title game, where the Big 10 and now the Pac-10 should have those games could easily give the Ohio St or SC a late loss where they didnt have to play that extra game before. Obviously the SEC would have to have a down year by their standards, a 2 loss team win the conference.

I simply see a Texas OU National Title game in the near future now, where this was never likely before. a 1 loss SC or Ohio St was going to get that over the 1 loss Big 12 team if another Big 12 team was in the mix. But if that Big 12 teams only loss was in October and a SC or Ohio St lost their conference champ game, and a 2 loss SEC Champ was to pick from, the 1 loss Big 12 team could now trump the others and we would have a Red River Shootout again for all the marbles.

I still have a hard time seeing why that is even a consideration in this stuff. it seems to me like your school's academic reputation stands on its own and really has almost nothing to do with what stupid sports conference they play in. just makes no sense to me.

Shared research and shared resources. A lot going on behind the scenes academically. Pretty much every article I have read about these moves has emphasized money (via TV) and academics. The Big 10 presidents apparently have the academics at least on a par with the money.

What a deal/plan! :wacko:

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe said no new TV deals have been struck, but he has "extremely strong verification, based on our analysis with our consultants and others, and media companies themselves, that we are in a tremendous position to execute future agreements that will put our member institutions on par with any in the country." He did not provide any numbers during a conference call with reporters.

"The Big 12 approached us asking if we would maintain our current agreement through its term of 2015-16, and we agreed," said Josh Krulewitz, vice president for communications for ESPN.

A Fox Sports Net spokesman said that no new deal had been reached, but there would be ongoing discussions.

There won't be division reallignment in the Big 12. The bylaws state they must have 12 teams to have two conferences and thus basically plan to have one division of 10 where everyone plays each other (9 game conference schedule). I

Unless they petition the NCAA to circumvent this bylaw. :wacko:

Personally, I love Nebraska in the Big Ten. Big school, huge following, great tradition.

They aren't the caliber of UofM academically or financially, but they'll get better. They have an endowment of about $1.2B compared to UofM which is $7.5B (Texas is $15B [that's like Ivy league money] and Oklahoma is about $0.50)

Any time I can see UofM beating a team dressed in RED, it's a good day!!

Unless they petition the NCAA to circumvent this bylaw. :wacko:

I listened to the Big 12 commissioners press conference yesterday and he basically said they weren't interested in expanding nor having a conference champtionship game since the coaches had complained that it hinders their chances at getting to the National Championship game more than it helps.

Note, I'm a proponent of conference championship games so I'm not defending him.....just passing the message along.

Wildcat, I think most of us are just going to have to agree to disagree or at least admit that the strength of a conference is a moving target every year so it's hard to really judge. :wacko:

I listened to the Big 12 commissioners press conference yesterday and he basically said they weren't interested in expanding nor having a conference champtionship game since the coaches had complained that it hinders their chances at getting to the National Championship game more than it helps.

You know what is hilarious about their statements on having a big 12 championship game? Every mofo-ing team in the Big 12 except Nebraska voted to have a big 12 championship game. It was another one of those infamous 11 to 1 votes that the Big 12 had where Nebraska was the only one in the minority.

Shared research and shared resources. A lot going on behind the scenes academically. Pretty much every article I have read about these moves has emphasized money (via TV) and academics. The Big 10 presidents apparently have the academics at least on a par with the money.

I know some don't understand the academic money issue but you'd be surprised. Basically, the company you keep determines how much research money you get. NU is a research university (already an AAU member) but they will have access to a lot more grant money being part of the Big 10. No matter how you feel on ND as far as football, if the academics ran the show they would have jumped on the chance to be part of the Big 10.

NOW, for my biggest questions... WT Yellow Submarine! do they do about the names of these conferences? We can't have the PAC 10 have 12 teams, the BIG 12 have 10 teams, and the BIG 10 have 12 teams. It's just F-ing stupid. Anybody heard about conference names changing?

What a deal/plan! :wacko:

I think there is a bit of card tricks in play with the numbers that were reported as well. Beebe is a nutjob and I think he fudged quite a bit to keep his job. Nebraska made about 12 million a year from the Big 12 and CU probably made somewhere between 5 and 8 million the last few years. How all of the sudden the Big 12 are going to pay everyone at least 14 to 17 million and pay Texas, OU, and A&M 20 million per year baffles me. I don't know where they hide the printing presses at but I think everyone is going to be surprised with what the numbers end up being compared to what they are reported on currently. I know there will be some lawyer battles over how much the penalties for NU and CU will be but I still don't think they'll be able to make those reported estimates even in the rosiest of circumstances.

Texas A&M AD Bill Byrne defends the decision to stay in the Big 12

I have so many problems with his statements that I might need a week to put it all down on paper.

And if you haven't heard what he is referring to in statement 3, you can check out this

Stay classy Bill..

Edited by myhousekey

I know some don't understand the academic money issue but you'd be surprised. Basically, the company you keep determines how much research money you get. NU is a research university (already an AAU member) but they will have access to a lot more grant money being part of the Big 10. No matter how you feel on ND as far as football, if the academics ran the show they would have jumped on the chance to be part of the Big 10.

I get the money angle as it affects academics. The shared research in the Big 10 meant they wanted a college that could bring research and research funds to the table. The academics (by which I mean research and research money) were definitely up there with expansion of the TV audience. In some ways, the latter has taken a back seat to academics because Nebraska isn't bringing in as many new BTN viewers as some other schools would have.

I get the money angle as it affects academics. The shared research in the Big 10 meant they wanted a college that could bring research and research funds to the table. The academics (by which I mean research and research money) were definitely up there with expansion of the TV audience. In some ways, the latter has taken a back seat to academics because Nebraska isn't bringing in as many new BTN viewers as some other schools would have.

I think there is something to the Nebraska history that brings more cache to the table than just household viewers that live in Nebraska. I live in Omaha which is darn near 35% of the states population and we already have the big ten network and I'm fairly positive that Lincoln has it as well (that means about 50% of the state already has that channel). So Nebraska isn't bringing viewers as much as they enhance the product the BTN is selling. Yes, NU has sucked for awhile but there are plenty of rabid NU fans (it's not a huge surprise that people would leave the state) across the country along with older college football fans in general that will tune into a Nebraska vs. Penn State/Ohio St/Michigan/Iowa/Wisconsin game. They were a very good team for darn near 4 decades before they had a downturn and they look to be back on the right track. Just like if Michigan gets a new coach and comes back as a good team in a few years. There is a lot of history and the name still carries weight so they equal more than just the household viewers in that state when you are selling a football product in other markets.

As far as research there was an interesting fact I heard on Nebraska the other day. Since the year 2000 there academic research funding has increased 146%. I also heard that the PAC 10 schools average a little more research funding than the Big 10. That was news to me, but interesting none the less.