[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

super-conferences

Cameltosis

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there is something to the Nebraska history that brings more cache to the table than just household viewers that live in Nebraska. I live in Omaha which is darn near 35% of the states population and we already have the big ten network and I'm fairly positive that Lincoln has it as well (that means about 50% of the state already has that channel). So Nebraska isn't bringing viewers as much as they enhance the product the BTN is selling. Yes, NU has sucked for awhile but there are plenty of rabid NU fans (it's not a huge surprise that people would leave the state) across the country along with older college football fans in general that will tune into a Nebraska vs. Penn State/Ohio St/Michigan/Iowa/Wisconsin game. They were a very good team for darn near 4 decades before they had a downturn and they look to be back on the right track. Just like if Michigan gets a new coach and comes back as a good team in a few years. There is a lot of history and the name still carries weight so they equal more than just the household viewers in that state when you are selling a football product in other markets.

As far as research there was an interesting fact I heard on Nebraska the other day. Since the year 2000 there academic research funding has increased 146%. I also heard that the PAC 10 schools average a little more research funding than the Big 10. That was news to me, but interesting none the less.

Completely agree. NU brings not only a storied football program but great academics too.

This is :wacko: I think I'm going to stop reading anything about college football until Texas has their regent meetings tomorrow. Hopefully they have some kind of announcement so we can straighten this out.

hey Square, you know I called Boren after your ignorant 'retard remark'; we both agreed that you were the retard and that Nebraska sux. I tried to tell you that you were the one blowing hot air and it looks like i was right form the beginning. The Big 12 North does not care if Nebraska or Colorado leaves. Kansas' Bill Self doesn't care and neither does Mack Brown. Be embarrassed if Neb. does not beat Michigan this year.

Next time realize that I was the one who knew the President of the University and that I found the right answer while you floundered with the people that didn't know what was going to happen. Kinda like the blind leading the blind, or in your case the retards leading the retards. Your own words unwarranted against me. Another piece of advice, you shouldn't call people names just because they have inside information and you don't, you jealous plick. Now away with you. :tup:

Right... I went through your points and addressed specifically where I thought you were talking out of your ass. I didn't see anywhere in this thread where you provided inside information from your personal contacts let alone a lucid grasp of the situation.

1) You said Nebraska thinks they could never beat TX or OU and that is why they are leaving the Big 12. I pointed out how TX almost lost last year with a pretty good team (I'd say as good as any they've had since 2005 IMO). They had a senior QB and basically a home game and still had to have the kicker win it with a last second FG when the refs put a second back on the clock. To say that NU could "never" win against TX and OU is a stretch even for a TX homer. NU didn't join the big 10 because it thought it would be easier to win. Everyone that knows the conference would say that NU had a pretty good spot in the North and these days anybody can knock off a higher ranked team in a championship game.

2) You said that TX would have to travel all the way to the West coast every other week if the joined the PAC 10. Again, nobody agreed with that assumption. The only way that TX joined was if they brought almost the entire Big 12 south with them. They would have split into a North / South division and they would have almost the exact travel schedule as the currently do with just the addition of the Arizona schools. I don't have the article in front of me, but when they ran the numbers TX would have actually had the least amount of travel of any school if the PAC 10 worked out that way. I even admitted that you may be talking about recruitment but I really don't see how that would change regardless so it's still moot.

3) You said that NU had only had one good year since Osbourne left and they were "never" a threat to win a championship. Yea, I've admitted that the program went to crap under Callihan. That aside, TX over the last 30 years hasn't been that dominant. I just pointed to the facts of actual games both won and just played with National Championships, NU has more than TX. Nebraska has been part of the Big 12 and pre-Big 8 for an eternity. I don't think being an underdog in the last 5 - 10 years made Tom Osbourne decide that they have to leave the conference just to get a chance to play an Ohio St or Penn St, for a division championship instead of TX or OU. NU left for the reasons I've stated a few times. It had little to do with playing football against TX schools.

4) You talked about how you were Dan Boren's wedding and then said "it would be interesting to see if OU would follow UT". I simply said that nobody cares who you are friends with and I addressed your second part with facts. The fact is that the OU athletic director (Joe Castiglione) had already publicly stated that they were going to follow TX. I didn't hear anybody talk about OU not following UT and with that kind of public statement from a high up official, I'm not sure how you would wonder about it and still consider yourself informed on the topic.

Please point to the part in this thread where you got "inside" information that you shared with us here? I re-read as many of your statements as I could stomach (couldn't make it through all). But if anyone thinks that SH was spot on with his analysis or provided any insight to what was going to happen, let me know because I missed it. It sounded a lot more like you wondering about things everyone else already knew what was going on. Dan Beebe fudged some numbers and saved his job in the 11th hour (and I don't think the PAC 10 would have allowed the longhorn network to remain separate). For the record, I'm kind of glad the Big 12 stayed together. I'd didn't really like the look of what would happen to schools like Kansas if they got left out.

Edited by Square

At the time I tried to tell you I could make a phone call you called me retarded, then you told me nobody cares about my info connection. You said there is no point. You just wanna talk bologne and hot air, I made a phone call after you called me retarded. Then, all of your predictions became false and UT and OU stayed in the Big 12. I coulda told you what was going to happen after my call, but you didn't want it. So don't tell me I didn't try. You called me retarded b/c Nebraska has only been a wannabe spoiler and not won any BIG 12 CHAMPIONSHIPS (dont spin this to national championships since 1971!);(see, your 1 point loss claim woulda just been a spoiler job, but they still lost). You got your feelings hurt b/c you were wrong and I know the President of OU. You had to come back with name calling and then try to spin the situation. Nowhere was I rude to you before you called me retarded, and you tried to make fun of me, when it is you that were totally wrong. I let you sit there while I knew the truth and let you spin your mistakes. You just want to spout off and call people names to make yourself feel like someone in the know. Again, you are no journalist and you are just a nobody like the rest of us so get off your high horse and stop trying to put people down. Now go try to be nice to people and learn to take the fact that Nebraska bailed form the Big 12 b/c it is a better fit for their recruiting and logistics not to mention they might actually win a conference in some sport (maybe even basketball now that you are out of the Big 12 powerhouse of hoops and football). Lots of Luck (I spelled it out for you this time).

:wacko: Even with Hogkins?

You're a machine. Remission for 25 or 30 years now!! Retiring in August, moving from Michigan to 30 minutes from me!! Can't wait and the kids are pumped. Haven't golfed with im much in the 20 years since I went to college, lookin' forward to some nice rounds.

OK, but who does your dad know?

The Lord...... he's a minister :tup:

At the time I tried to tell you I could make a phone call you called me retarded, then you told me nobody cares about my info connection. You said there is no point. You just wanna talk bologne and hot air, I made a phone call after you called me retarded. Then, all of your predictions became false and UT and OU stayed in the Big 12. I coulda told you what was going to happen after my call, but you didn't want it. So don't tell me I didn't try. You called me retarded b/c Nebraska has only been a wannabe spoiler and not won any BIG 12 CHAMPIONSHIPS (dont spin this to national championships since 1971!);(see, your 1 point loss claim woulda just been a spoiler job, but they still lost). You got your feelings hurt b/c you were wrong and I know the President of OU. You had to come back with name calling and then try to spin the situation. Nowhere was I rude to you before you called me retarded, and you tried to make fun of me, when it is you that were totally wrong. I let you sit there while I knew the truth and let you spin your mistakes. You just want to spout off and call people names to make yourself feel like someone in the know. Again, you are no journalist and you are just a nobody like the rest of us so get off your high horse and stop trying to put people down. Now go try to be nice to people and learn to take the fact that Nebraska bailed form the Big 12 b/c it is a better fit for their recruiting and logistics not to mention they might actually win a conference in some sport (maybe even basketball now that you are out of the Big 12 powerhouse of hoops and football). Lots of Luck (I spelled it out for you this time).

You never said "you could make a call" you just wrote about how I "didn't know who you were". Knowing the OU President was pointless because everyone knew that OU was going to do what UT did. I've pointed out (twice now) that the AD publicly stated that in the middle of this mess when most camps were staying quiet. Bottom line is, I'm done because you bore me son ::tup:. I went through your points twice now and specifically pointed out why I thought you were wrong (I feel like detlef writing 5 paragraph articles). You claim I'm trying to spin the situation? :wacko: It's hard to argue with that logic. I called you names and I shouldn't have done that, but I was frustrated with your dense logic and still am. So far in this discussion, I saw a couple people (without re-reading, I'm going to say pope flick and Wildcat) that thought you didn't know what you were talking about at certain times. I never really predicted anything, I was merely reacting to all the rumors (although some made far more sense than others). I don't remember any prognosticator saying that Dan Beebe would fudge some numbers and get UT to stay by guaranteeing them an extra 10 mil, but I guess I'm a "nobody". I'd say you bringing up basketball in this conversation (for the second time) is simply another tell of how out of touch you personally are. Of course you just said something else that is clueless:

Nebraska bailed form the Big 12 b/c it is a better fit for their recruiting and logistics

I've said multiple times that they did it for academics, football money, and stability. This is your problem. Off hand non sequiturs like that are why reasonable people wouldn't pay attention to your input or conclusions. Nebraska was part of the Big 8 since 1907. They have been recruiting Texas for decades but it fits their recruiting better to go up to Ohio/Penn/Wisconsin/Iowa/Minnesota? Oh and logistically they have farther to travel in the Big 10 (although the mitigation that TO sold was that they would have to fly more but the connections would be better) than they did the Big 12. How you arrive at these conclusions are beyond me.

I called you names and I shouldn't have done that, but I was frustrated with your dense logic and still am.

you know, it is the name calling that gets me pissy, b/c you if you knew me, you would be more like, 'hey, call Boren and let us know'. The name calling comes flying out instead.

Now let me go back to razzing you as a Nebraska fan, (you have to know that I am just trying to rile you up, so don't have a heart attack). :wacko: Don't be one of those fans who lets me get under their skin too easily. believe me, I still have plenty of ammo to rile up all the Nebraska fans in the world.

Now go sign up for MSHB II. RajunCajun needs one more. It is a good group, Randall, Nuke em, tbimm, RajunCajun, clubfoothead, to mention a few of the HOF and All-pro huddlers. Its IDP and only $20 bux for charity. You can dog on the team I draft there. LoLuck.

Edited by Scooby's Hubby