[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Emergency rescue effort is launched for teen sailor Abby Sunderland

buddahj

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does she deserve to be?

Is that the question?

And if so, who answers?

Who answers??

F*cker, beat me too it!

And, btw, :wacko:

Who pays for her search? A kid in a balloon or a kid in a boat, makes no difference to me. Make them pay if they want to play that way.

Hell, she's only four years shy of a happy meal.

Edited by MikesVikes

I'm sure her parents are thrilled that she is still alive and made it through this tramatic experience (because this exposure has just caused the media rights to the story to dramatically increase and I am guessing that is what they most care about).

Who pays for her search? A kid in a balloon or a kid in a boat, makes no difference to me. Make them pay if they want to play that way.

Hell, she's only four years shy of a happy meal.

But, perfectly legal in the state of GA. :wacko:

The search plane -- a chartered Qantas Airbus A330 jet that left Perth early Friday -- jet faced a 4,700-mile round trip from Perth to Sunderland's boat, which is near the limit of its range.

Qantas spokesman Tom Woodward said the airliner flew five hours out to sea to reach the area where the beacons were transmitting, then maneuvered for another hour before spotting the 40-foot yacht. In all, it hovered over the site for two hours, Qantas said.

The Australian maritime authority did not say how much the rescue mission would cost but said it would not be seeking compensation for the search, which initially fell just outside of Australia's search and rescue region.

"That's the way the system runs," search coordinator Kinley said. "It's our obligation to do this and we'll fulfill those obligations as Australia does."

link

If they're happy then I'm happy.

Edited by MikesVikes

Totally. . .I just saw on Amazon that this Justin Bieber kid's album is titled "My World". Your world?? Please, pre-pubescent suburban white boy. . .tell me of your world. . .

My parents have a :lipquivering: minivan that doesn't have the :burstsintears: automatic sliding door. We have to manually slide the door to open and close it. I hate my world and I hate my parents.

I call this song, "Oh Tooooyota, yooooouuuuu suuuck."

They say that she was on a 40' boat in 30' swells and 60 knot winds. I've been on a 40' boat in 15 to 18' swells with 35 knot winds. I couldn't imagine being on one in 30 foot swells with those winds. That is just nuts.

When my kid turned 18, he could make those decisions for himself. Until then, no way I allow them to make a decision about something so dangerous and uncontrollable. I hope she is okay.

Is there some magical transformation that occurs in each and every person at age 18 or is there some chance that some people have their act together at 16 and some are still useless at any age?

Achievements, listed by age at which they were made

* 7 - Yehudi Menuhin gives his first solo violin performance with the San Francisco Symphony in 1923.

* 8 - Frederic Chopin plays his first public piano performance, having already authored two polonaises (G minor and B flat major) at age 7.

* 10 - Mark, author of the Gospel of Mark, witnesses the arrest of Jesus and develops the first Gospel.

* 10 - Michael Kearney, homeschooled, becomes the world's youngest university graduate.[2] At age 17, began a teaching career at college. [3]

* 12 - Blaise Pascal had secretly worked out the first twenty-three propositions of Euclid by himself.

* 12 - Jesus presents His wisdom in the temple in Jerusalem.

* 12 - William "Willie" Johnson earned the Medal of Honor for his actions during the Seven Days Battle and on the Peninsula Campaign during the American Civil War. [3]

* 13 - Jonathan Krohn homeschooled, actor, internet radio host, guest speaker at CPAC, author of Defining Conservatism.

* 13 - John wrote the first draft of the Gospel of John, the greatest written work of all time.[4]

* 13 - Joan of Arc was inspired and led France five years later to victory over the English in the Hundred Years War; was martyred at age 19.[5]

* 13 - Anne Frank began writing her diary, later published as "Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl."

* 14 - David slays Goliath.

* 14 - Ismail founded the Safavid dynasty and became its "shah" (military and spiritual ruler)

* 14 - Bobby Fischer became an International Chess Grandmaster.

* 14 - Mozart wrote the opera, "Mitridate Rè di Ponto."

* 14 - Nadia Comaneci "achieved in her sport what no Olympian, male or female, ever had before: perfection."[6]

* 14 - St. Theresa of Lisieux rejected by Bishop Hugonin, pleads with Pope Leo XIII so she may enter the Carmelites. Became Carmelite nun at age 15.

* 14 - Bernadette Soubirous (St Bernadette of Lourdes) has a vision of the Virgin Mary

* 15 - Louis Braille invented the Braille system.

* 15 - Christopher Paolini writes the first draft of his Eragon trilogy which is published when he is 19.

* 16 - Jean-François Champollion, can speak a dozen languages and delivers a paper on the Coptic language to the Grenoble Academy. By 20, he can speak another 13 languages and at 32 he deciphers the Rosetta Stone.

* 16 - Boy sailor Jack Cornwall, of HMS Chester, is awarded a posthumous VC for gallantry at the Battle of Jutland.

* 16 - Roger Mason discovered the first fossil believed by paleontologists to come from the Ediacaran period (630-542 million years ago). He found the fossil in Charnwood Forest, Leics, UK [7]. The fossil species is named Charnia masoni, in recognition of his contribution to geology and evolutionary biology.

* 16 - the average age of 58 homeschooled teenagers who founded Conservapedia, so that the light of truth would continue to shine and darkness would not overcome it.

* 17 - Cassie Bernall defended her faith in front of an atheistic gunman at the Columbine massacre, and was martyred for it[8]

* 17* - Mary accepts God's will to conceive Jesus by the Holy Spirit, and gives birth nine months later.[9]

* 17 - Shawn Fanning develops the first large-scale peer-to-peer file sharing program, Napster

* 17 - Private 1st Class Jacklyn H. Lucas, United States Marine Corps, earned the Medal of Honor five days after his 17th birthday during the Iwo Jima battle in World War II; he was a Marine for three years. [4]

* 18 - Shawn Goldsmith from Long Island has earned all 121 merit badges offered by the Boy Scouts. [10]

* 18 - Mary Shelley writes Frankenstein (The Modern Prometheus), later published when she was 21.

* 18 - Gary Kasparov, considered the greatest chess player ever, won the U.S.S.R. championship.

* 19 - Captain Albert Ball, VC, MC, DSO & 2 bars, commences his career as a fighter pilot. By the time he is killed, aged 20, in 1917, he has become one of the First World War's greatest air aces, accounting for at least 44 German aircraft.

* 19 - was the average age of front-line US service personnel fighting to defend democracy in Indochina during the Vietnam War.

* 19 - Evariste Galois develops group theory, and wrote it out completely on the eve of his death at age 20; it took old mathematicians a century to comprehend it.

* 19 - John D. Rockefeller starts a new company, turning an enormous profit in its first year, and became the most influential businessman in history.[11]

* 19 - Steve Jobs begins collaborating in electronics with Steve Wozniak[12] in electronics, and developed the personal computer within two years.

* 19 - Mark Zuckerberg develops Facebook, the leading social networking system for young people on the internet.

* 19 - Jim Ryun broke the world record for running the mile.

* 20 - Carl Friedrich Gauss makes his first mathematical discoveries, which will lead to the completion of "Disquisitiones Arithmeticae", his magnum opus, at the age of 21.

* 20 - Willis Carrier invents air conditioning.

* 7 - Yehudi Menuhin gives his first solo violin performance with the San Francisco Symphony in 1923.

* 8 - Frederic Chopin plays his first public piano performance, having already authored two polonaises (G minor and B flat major) at age 7.

* 10 - Mark, author of the Gospel of Mark, witnesses the arrest of Jesus and develops the first Gospel.

* 10 - Michael Kearney, homeschooled, becomes the world's youngest university graduate.[2] At age 17, began a teaching career at college. [3]

* 12 - Blaise Pascal had secretly worked out the first twenty-three propositions of Euclid by himself.

* 12 - William "Willie" Johnson earned the Medal of Honor for his actions during the Seven Days Battle and on the Peninsula Campaign during the American Civil War. [3]

* 13 - Jonathan Krohn homeschooled, actor, internet radio host, guest speaker at CPAC, author of Defining Conservatism.

* 13 - John wrote the first draft of the Gospel of John, the greatest written work of all time.[4]

* 13 - Joan of Arc was inspired and led France five years later to victory over the English in the Hundred Years War; was martyred at age 19.[5]

* 13 - Anne Frank began writing her diary, later published as "Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl."

* 14 - Ismail founded the Safavid dynasty and became its "shah" (military and spiritual ruler)

* 14 - Nadia Comaneci "achieved in her sport what no Olympian, male or female, ever had before: perfection."[6]

* 14 - St. Theresa of Lisieux rejected by Bishop Hugonin, pleads with Pope Leo XIII so she may enter the Carmelites. Became Carmelite nun at age 15.

* 14 - Bernadette Soubirous (St Bernadette of Lourdes) has a vision of the Virgin Mary

* 15 - Christopher Paolini writes the first draft of his Eragon trilogy which is published when he is 19.

* 16 - Jean-François Champollion, can speak a dozen languages and delivers a paper on the Coptic language to the Grenoble Academy. By 20, he can speak another 13 languages and at 32 he deciphers the Rosetta Stone.

* 16 - Boy sailor Jack Cornwall, of HMS Chester, is awarded a posthumous VC for gallantry at the Battle of Jutland.

* 16 - Roger Mason discovered the first fossil believed by paleontologists to come from the Ediacaran period (630-542 million years ago). He found the fossil in Charnwood Forest, Leics, UK [7]. The fossil species is named Charnia masoni, in recognition of his contribution to geology and evolutionary biology.

* 16 - the average age of 58 homeschooled teenagers who founded Conservapedia, so that the light of truth would continue to shine and darkness would not overcome it.

* 17 - Cassie Bernall defended her faith in front of an atheistic gunman at the Columbine massacre, and was martyred for it[8]

* 17* - Mary accepts God's will to conceive Jesus by the Holy Spirit, and gives birth nine months later.[9]

* 17 - Shawn Fanning develops the first large-scale peer-to-peer file sharing program, Napster

* 17 - Private 1st Class Jacklyn H. Lucas, United States Marine Corps, earned the Medal of Honor five days after his 17th birthday during the Iwo Jima battle in World War II; he was a Marine for three years. [4]

* 18 - Shawn Goldsmith from Long Island has earned all 121 merit badges offered by the Boy Scouts. [10]

* 18 - Mary Shelley writes Frankenstein (The Modern Prometheus), later published when she was 21.

* 18 - Gary Kasparov, considered the greatest chess player ever, won the U.S.S.R. championship.

* 19 - Captain Albert Ball, VC, MC, DSO & 2 bars, commences his career as a fighter pilot. By the time he is killed, aged 20, in 1917, he has become one of the First World War's greatest air aces, accounting for at least 44 German aircraft.

* 19 - was the average age of front-line US service personnel fighting to defend democracy in Indochina during the Vietnam War.

* 19 - Evariste Galois develops group theory, and wrote it out completely on the eve of his death at age 20; it took old mathematicians a century to comprehend it.

* 19 - John D. Rockefeller starts a new company, turning an enormous profit in its first year, and became the most influential businessman in history.[11]

* 19 - Steve Jobs begins collaborating in electronics with Steve Wozniak[12] in electronics, and developed the personal computer within two years.

* 19 - Mark Zuckerberg develops Facebook, the leading social networking system for young people on the internet.

* 20 - Carl Friedrich Gauss makes his first mathematical discoveries, which will lead to the completion of "Disquisitiones Arithmeticae", his magnum opus, at the age of 21.

Nadia Comaneci didn't put her life in danger and her parents didn't sign off on a dangerous journey around the word. That goes for many others on the list as well. Btw, none of these people are my kids. :wacko:

"Dad, can I give a solo violin performance with the San Francisco Symphony tomorrow night?" just doesn't seem to go with "Dad, can I go around the world in a boat all by myself? How about "Dad, can I go fight in Afghanistan? Jimmy's Dad lets him fight there!

Edited by MikesVikes

The rest of these sort of pale in comparison to this triumphant achievement.

At the age of 2 Stewie Griffin invented a time machine.

If we are listing some strange accomplishments, may as well throw out this one:

On December 25th, at age 0, Mithra was born the Son of God from a virgin birth. He later had 12 disciples, a last supper, sacrifice was used to save mankind, and subsequent resurrection 3 days later. His name is the Greek number 365, symbolizing the end of of the solar year. The new year ensues.

Roughly 500 years later, a man named Saul lived amongst the Mithrian worshipers, felt the need to go on a long walk and change his name to Paul. He loved to tell stories and he decided to write some letters that spurned multiple books about a child born December 25th to a virgin mother, was called the Son of God, who eventually had 12 disciples, died to save man from sin, and rose from the grave after 3 days. The initials B.C. symbolically means the point in which the ending of counting years occurred. The new counting of years ensues.

Pretty hard to top the age of 0 en route to saving the world from sin.

Edited by Riffraff

Stopped at this point. Good list until this nonsense.

Stopped at this point. Good list until this nonsense.

I am assuming that everyone knows I didn't make the list and That I just got it off the net. I don't have the patience to do something like that. I guess my point was to show how sometimes young ones do great things. Iam not saying either that I would let my child do something like sail solo around the world. However, some young ones are just special.