[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

USC hit hard by NCAA sanctions

buddahj

LOS ANGELES (AP)—Southern California has received a two-year bowl ban and a sharp loss of football scholarships in a report on the NCAA’s four-year investigation of the school.

The NCAA cited USC for a lack of institutional control Thursday in its long-awaited report, which detailed numerous violations primarily involving Heisman Trophy-winning tailback Reggie Bush and men’s basketball player O.J. Mayo.

The NCAA found that Bush, identified as a “former football student-athlete,” was ineligible beginning at least by December 2004, a ruling that could open discussion on the revocation of the New Orleans Saints star’s Heisman.

Members of the Heisman Trophy Trust have said they might review Bush’s award if he was ruled ineligible by the NCAA.

The NCAA also ordered USC to vacate every victory in which Bush participated while ineligible. USC beat Oklahoma in the BCS championship game on Jan. 4, 2005, and won 12 games during Bush’s Heisman-winning 2005 season, which ended with a loss to Texas in the Rose Bowl.

“I have a great love for the University of Southern California and I very much regret the turn that this matter has taken, not only for USC, but for the fans and players,” Bush said in a statement, according to an ESPN report.

“I am disappointed by (Thursday’s) decision and disagree with the NCAA’s findings. If the University decides to appeal, I will continue to cooperate with the NCAA and USC, as I did during the investigation. In the meantime, I will continue to focus on making a positive impact for the University and for the community where I live.”

The ruling is a sharp repudiation of the Trojans’ decade of success under former coach Pete Carroll, when USC won seven straight Pac-10 titles and two national championships. Carroll left the school for the NFL’s Seattle Seahawks in January.

While the bowl ban is the most damaging to new coach Lane Kiffin, USC also will lose 30 scholarships over a three-year period, 10 annually from 2011-13. The Trojans received four years of probation.

The Trojans have been under a growing cloud of suspicion since Bush’s apparently shady dealings with aspiring sports marketers and sketchy businessmen were first revealed. The NCAA, the Pac-10 and even the FBI conducted investigations into the Bush family’s business relationships and USC’s responsibility for the culture around its marquee football team.

USC is the first Football Bowl Subdivision school to be banned from postseason play since Alabama served a two-year ban ending in 2003. The NCAA issued no bowl bans during the tenure of late president Myles Brand, but the NCAA reportedly regained interest in the punishment over the past year.

USC has long been known for its lenient admission policy at football practice, which during Carroll’s tenure was open to almost anybody who wanted to watch. No longer: The NCAA also prohibited all non-university personnel, except media and a few others, from attending practices and camps or even standing on the sidelines during games.

While coming down hard on the football team, the NCAA largely accepted the terms of USC’s self-imposed punishment on its men’s basketball team.

USC banned itself from postseason play last season, stripped one scholarship for last season and the upcoming season, and reduced its recruiting abilities over the next year. The Trojans also vacated their 21 victories during the 2007-08 season under former coach Tim Floyd, who was accused of giving cash to a middleman who helped steer Mayo to USC.

“Elite athletes in high profile sports with obvious great future earnings potential may see themselves as something apart from other student-athletes and the general student population,” the NCAA report said. “Institutions need to assure that their treatment on campus does not feed into such a perception.”

I'm not really surprised.

Why is it that there is no penalty for the coaches? I mean, Pete Carroll just gets to cut and run with no repercussions for laying waste to a proud college football program and USC has to shoulder the blame for this entire thing? It happened on his watch. You would think that by now the Universities would be smart enough to put a penalty clause in the contract the HC signs.

Why is it that there is no penalty for the coaches? I mean, Pete Carroll just gets to cut and run with no repercussions for laying waste to a proud college football program and USC has to shoulder the blame for this entire thing? It happened on his watch. You would think that by now the Universities would be smart enough to put a penalty clause in the contract the HC signs.

Meh, it happens to basketball programs more than football and they haven't been smart enough to change the contracts. My guess is that a coach wouldn't sign one. :wacko: Word was that USC is appealing so we'll see all the punishment sticks or not.

:wacko:

Seems to me we just added another NC over night, with SC vacating all wins from Dec 04 trough the 05 season.

I think I heard on SportsCenter that they arent going to address the NC until USC gets through the probation to see how they handle it. I would guess that would mean if they mind their P's and Q's they would keep it. Why? Makes no sense.

• 2 months later...

You know who owes it to the NCAA to man up in this regard is the NFL, who should do more than talk about cleaning up the agents. I realize that colleges have been pulling crap for years that has nothing to do with the NFL, but it seems some of these issues have little to do with the schools themselves. Take the Miami trip that has UNC in trouble. Those are kids who were already at the school and received goods from some guy looking to represent them at the next level. Why is UNC the one that ends up holding the bag? They gained nothing from the violation and until sleazeball agents start getting their licenses revoked, they'll continue to push the limit because they have nothing to lose.

Thing is, the NFL doesn't give a crap. As long as these guys produce on Sunday, it doesn't matter what sleazy crap went down a few years ago. As long as the college ranks continue to be a fruitful farm system for them, and none of this changes that at all, they don't care what happens to the particular schools. USC could dry up and blow away and all the talent would just come from Bama, or Texas, or some other school.

Like so many other attractive nuisances, we always seem to focus on the guardian's responsibility to keep the kids away from them and ignore the a-holes who are dangling the bait. Why does everyone absolve the real offenders of their moral obligation to not tempt our youth with poor choices?

That will NEVER happen.

oops. :wacko:

Thing is, the NFL doesn't give a crap. As long as these guys produce on Sunday, it doesn't matter what sleazy crap went down a few years ago.

A few years? They don't care what happened a few months or weeks ago either. Goodell's "tough guy" image is laughable. He's as bad as the rest. Drug dealers, guys beating up pregnant girlfriends, sadistic killing/torture of thousands of animals for years on end, manslaughter, covering up murders......slime commiting that and more have all had their hands slapped at most by the NFL and been permitted to play again. They don't really care about the game itself or standards/morals whatsoever. All they care about is making money, and our society is so pathetic that they don't care either, and the NFL ultimately bows down to that fan base because of money.

As much I love football, if the NFL was shut down tomorrow, while partly I'd hate it and miss the games, more so I'd love it and applaud in an "about freaking time" kind of way because it would do our society a huge favor. I'd rather they just clean it up and walk the talk, but we all know the almighty dollar rules and neither will ever happen. It's a tragic, bizarro, absurd joke.

I know most of you disagree and that's fine, but IMO ...|.. anyone who condones thugs, never mind making them millionaires.

Edited by BeeR

A few years? They don't care what happened a few months or weeks ago either. Goodell's "tough guy" image is laughable. He's as bad as the rest. Drug dealers, guys beating up pregnant girlfriends, sadistic killing/torture of thousands of animals for years on end, manslaughter, covering up murders......slime commiting that and more have all had their hands slapped at most by the NFL and been permitted to play again. Why? Because all they care about is making money and our society is so pathetic that they don't care either.

As much I love football, if the NFL was shut down tomorrow, while partly I'd hate it and miss the games, more so I'd love it and applaud in an "about freaking time" kind of way because it would do our society a huge favor. I'd rather they just clean it up and walk the talk, but we all know the almight dollar rules and neither will ever happen. It's a tragic, bizarro, absurd joke.

I know most of you disagree and that's fine, but IMO ...|.. anyone who condones thugs, never mind making them millionaires.

Well, you're certainly not going to get an argument from me here.