[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For Unta

Jimmy Neutron

I bought an egg for my dad for christmas about 8 or 9 years ago. They have recently moved into a townhome complex and can not have charcoal grills, or eggs.... So, I just got me a large green egg. Great smoker.

The sales people were late delivering the Egg, so the birds didn't go on until 2:30 pm. I had an appointment, so I set the temp at 240 and came back at 6:00. Temp had bumped to 300, so I was nervous... The birds were juicy and tender - pretty impressive for leaving them alone that long. No way could I pull that off on my pit...

Ribs and more birds tomorrow. :wacko:

The sales people were late delivering the Egg, so the birds didn't go on until 2:30 pm. I had an appointment, so I set the temp at 240 and came back at 6:00. Temp had bumped to 300, so I was nervous... The birds were juicy and tender - pretty impressive for leaving them alone that long. No way could I pull that off on my pit...

Temp control is pretty easy once you've done a few cooks. However, on long cooks such as pork butt, I use one of these:

http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/DigiQ-D...Package%29.html

Temp control is pretty easy once you've done a few cooks. However, on long cooks such as pork butt, I use one of these:

http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/DigiQ-D...Package%29.html

Sheesh - I thought the Egg was a leap in technology (material-wise) :tup:

I'm a little nervous about today's cook. My plate setter is on B/O - and doing 9 racks of ribs and 4 chickens will now allow for the indirect heat method I used on the two I did yesterday. :wacko:

I did pick up some wine infused oak - that stuff makes some nice smoke...

Question for Egg owners... how do you get the heat up on the dang thing? I'm wondering if I just had too much meat (9 rib racks and 2 large chickens) on the Egg and that was effecting airflow - I couldn'g get more than 300o out of it regarless of the vent settings. :wacko:

Question for Egg owners... how do you get the heat up on the dang thing? I'm wondering if I just had too much meat (9 rib racks and 2 large chickens) on the Egg and that was effecting airflow - I couldn'g get more than 300o out of it regarless of the vent settings. :wacko:

Don't know why you'd want to go over 250 for ribs anyway. If you are wanting it hotter you need to get it hotter before you close it up and put the meat on. Let the coals get evenly started across the top then open both vents wide open, close the lid and wait til it gets to the temperature you want before putting the meat on.

Another couple of possible problems:

- Not having it full of coals

- Too much ash. Make sure to move all the coals around with that little metal thingy to get the ash to all fall through to the bottom before adding more coals. Also, for me, I find that a total cleanout after every 2 or so bags of charcoal improves performance.

Just don't walk away with both vents wide open. Under the right circumstances you may come back to find a 700+ degree cooker.

Don't know why you'd want to go over 250 for ribs anyway. If you are wanting it hotter you need to get it hotter before you close it up and put the meat on. Let the coals get evenly started across the top then open both vents wide open, close the lid and wait til it gets to the temperature you want before putting the meat on.

Another couple of possible problems:

- Not having it full of coals

- Too much ash. Make sure to move all the coals around with that little metal thingy to get the ash to all fall through to the bottom before adding more coals. Also, for me, I find that a total cleanout after every 2 or so bags of charcoal improves performance.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't smoke that hot, but I was doing a lot of food and trying to time the finish with a hard workplace lunchbreak.

I'll try getting the Egg hotter before I load it up next time - thanks.

I've never had a problem getting the temp up, even with meat on The Egg. Open the bottom vent up, open the top vent up and watch the temp climb. Just remember, it's easier and quicker to get the temp up than it is to bring it down. AC is correct in his comments as well.

I bought an egg for my dad for christmas about 8 or 9 years ago. They have recently moved into a townhome complex and can not have charcoal grills, or eggs.... So, I just got me a large green egg. Great smoker.

He obviously moved outside the USA, because that just doesn't seem possible.

He obviously moved outside the USA, because that just doesn't seem possible.

Do not evah underestimate the draconian stupidity of the haus fraus that run a home owners association.

Do not evah underestimate the draconian stupidity of the haus fraus that run a home owners association.

TRUTH

In atlanta, in almost every jurisdiction, you are not allowed to have grills in attached dwellings. Townhomes, apartments, etc...

true, but isnt this more about the stupidity of some people that have no idea how to work a grill? and im sure its for insurance reasons too.

• 5 months later...