[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I wanna be a Cowboy...

MikesVikes

It was a terrific hit and the Cowboys got dominated. No doubt . But it was a Hines ward esque hit. I dont care if you outweigh a guy by 150. Its Lee's job to have his head on the swivel. The hit was perfectly legal. It was highlight real material. I watched it 10 times myself. Im just saying it isnt that hard to level a guy who is not looking and pursuing a play. The term is called crippling the dummy.

I thought I saw something about the Seahawks player being fined by the league for that hit. Maybe I am mistaken.

here it is

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/2012/09/19/report-nfl-fines-seahawks-golden-tate-for-huge-hit-on-cowboys-sean-lee/

Edited by stevegrab

It was a terrific hit and the Cowboys got dominated. No doubt . But it was a Hines ward esque hit. I dont care if you outweigh a guy by 150. Its Lee's job to have his head on the swivel. The hit was perfectly legal. It was highlight real material. I watched it 10 times myself. Im just saying it isnt that hard to level a guy who is not looking and pursuing a play. The term is called crippling the dummy.

this

except it was 'nt a legal hit and quite frankly, I'm disappointed that Tate did'nt "get his" before that game ended. Someone should've laid him out...

this

except it was 'nt a legal hit and quite frankly, I'm disappointed that Tate did'nt "get his" before that game ended. Someone should've laid him out...

:shrug: It looked legal to me. I didnt realize the NFL had rules in place on blocks against a defenseless player. Wierd call. If a guy is in pursuit of the play you should be able to put a hat on him. Lee said himself it wasnt helmet to helmet. Like I said, I see no great bravery in crushing a guy that isnt looking but I dont think the hit was illegal as far as I knwo football. I guess I dont know all the new rules.

:shrug: It looked legal to me. I didnt realize the NFL had rules in place on blocks against a defenseless player. Wierd call. If a guy is in pursuit of the play you should be able to put a hat on him. Lee said himself it wasnt helmet to helmet. Like I said, I see no great bravery in crushing a guy that isnt looking but I dont think the hit was illegal as far as I knwo football. I guess I dont know all the new rules.

Yeah we used to call that blowing a guy up, but now its illegal and warrants a fine. Or maybe it only got reviewed and fined because JJ flexed his muscle with the NFL telling asking them to look into it. I know injuries are a concern, but I swear I've seen Ward and other players do this numerous times and never get flagged/fined. Heck I think he broke one guy (CIN DB?) jaw causing him to miss several weeks and nothing happened.

I swear I've seen Ward and other players do this numerous times and never get flagged/fined. Heck I think he broke one guy (CIN DB?) jaw causing him to miss several weeks and nothing happened.

It's a very recent change - maybe 2010 season? Hines Ward was the king of this punk move.

Since the brain floats in the skull, concussion risk is high not only from direct contact, but also from a sudden "whipping" effect of the head in any direction, and the Defenseless player rules were changed to add "blows to the neck/head area" and launching and also define more players (QB's after interceptions, "blind-side" pursuit") as defenseless. The penalty should have been called because he hit him high, and you can see the nasty snap his head took, both from the hit and from the landing.

I think Keith Rivers is the guy with the broken jaw, Bengals LB at the time.

It's a very recent change - maybe 2010 season? Hines Ward was the king of this punk move.

Since the brain floats in the skull, concussion risk is high not only from direct contact, but also from a sudden "whipping" effect of the head in any direction, and the Defenseless player rules were changed to add "blows to the neck/head area" and launching and also define more players (QB's after interceptions, "blind-side" pursuit") as defenseless. The penalty should have been called because he hit him high, and you can see the nasty snap his head took, both from the hit and from the landing.

I think Keith Rivers is the guy with the broken jaw, Bengals LB at the time.

Thanks for the explanation, yeah Rivers sounds right.

Since the brain floats in the skull, concussion risk is high not only from direct contact, but also from a sudden "whipping" effect of the head in any direction,

I was at a concussion seminar recently and they cited a study done with rats. Apparently it took 4X the amount of force applied straight to the head when it was fixed in position to induce concussion symptoms vs. a freely movable head that was allowed to "whip" as you put it.

The problem is you can't fix the helmet on the shoulder pads.

Edited by Atlas

Yeah we used to call that blowing a guy up, but now its illegal and warrants a fine. Or maybe it only got reviewed and fined because JJ flexed his muscle with the NFL telling asking them to look into it.

most ridiculous thing I've read here in some time

according to the game announcers the rule is new this season.

It wasn't a legal hit. On a slow mo of the reply, Tate did in fact hit him right in the chest, but he launched himself upwards, and ultimately slid up to Lee's chin. It was within an inch of ending Lee's season. The rule was put in to prevent 5'10" WR's from blindsiding taller LB's. The hit was nearly identical to the Ward hit that knocked Rivers out for the season. As a WR, you just can't be going upwards at impact when the guy isn't looking. I knew it was a fine the second I saw the first replay.