[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tour de France 2010

Chavez

on the renshaw thing....I'm kind of on renshaw's side when it comes to the guy he headbutted. guy was cutting right into his line. but then he did the exact same thing to farrar, only more blatant. kind of a rough DQ, but there isn't really another punishment you can give someone like that. maybe a stiff team fine would have been more in order, I dunno.

anyway, speaking of riding like wankers, that was exactly my impression of contador and schleck today. particularly schleck, at least contador attacked a bit. does schleck really think he can keep his losses in the TT to under 30 seconds? guy needs to be taking any chance he possibly can to get more time into contador, yet he just rode on contador's wheel all day, even when he came to a virtual stop on the final climb. these guys should have been battling til one guy cracked, instead they played pattycake. guess we may have to wait until the tourmalet to see them really throw down.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Contador is a punk. There was a time when a guy wouldn't attack the leader if he had a mechanical malfunction. I guess those days are behind us. Go Andy!

When asked if what Contador did was fair, Schleck just said that it was not for him to decide what is fair or not but that he would not have raced like that. He also said his stomach is ful of anger and that he will look for revenge.

As for Contador, I thought it was telling two days ago when he led the charge at the end to snatch victory from his teammate Vinokourov.

When asked if what Contador did was fair, Schleck just said that it was not for him to decide what is fair or not but that he would not have raced like that. He also said his stomach is ful of anger and that he will look for revenge.

As for Contador, I thought it was telling two days ago when he led the charge at the end to snatch victory from his teammate Vinokourov.

Yep, I caught that. It does look like Schleck is the stronger rider this year and fortunately has two more days in the mtns. to prove it. I wouldn't be surprised if he crushes tomorrow. He sure made some of the world's most elite cyclists look like the local Sunday club riders when he was trying to catch back up.

from the velonews forum...

Contador had a golden chance to prove he is the new patron, the man to beat, a true champion....instead he pulled a punk move and showed that he is truly, literally, a man in "yellow".

The crowd knows it, I know it, Contador knows and so does Andy.

It was always anger that caused LA to ride his most magnificent rides...I can only hope the same holds true for Andy.

And the TDF gods are not going to smile on AC's cowardly move today.

apparently, he was getting booed on the podium after the race.

Saxo Bank boss Bjarne Riis was trying to remain upbeat about Schleck’s overall chances - “Sánchez and Menchov were going full gas. It won’t help to criticize. For us, it would have been better if they had waited, but we cannot expect any help in these circumstances, “I think Contador waited at the beginning, but it took awhile before Andy was on his bike again. How long can Contador wait? I don’t know. Of course we’d have hoped he waited more. I don’t want to create a polemic, but how many guys crashed today? Nobody helps them, nobody waited. That’s how it is.”

Asked for their opinion on the incident, Laurent Jalabert, Bernard Thévenet and Bernard Hinault all described Schleck's incident as an inescapable part of racing and said they were looking ahead to see how Contador and Schleck will respond.

Schleck crested 12 seconds behind the Contador/Sanchez/Menchov group; he ended up 40 seconds behind....does he still lose the 28 seconds on the descent if they're all together?

Most realistic views I've seen are that Vino SAW what was going on and sat up a bit; Contador was mid-attack with Menchov and Sanchez hot on his heels and had to make a snap judgement as to whether or not to sit up. I don't know the right answer.

But Pelkey over at Velonews said it sure will make the next two days more interesting, won't it?

Edited by Chavez

Schleck crested 12 seconds behind the Contador/Sanchez/Menchov group; he ended up 40 seconds behind....does he still lose the 28 seconds on the descent if they're all together?

sanchez is the best descender in the peloton, and he was ripping it up...apparently almost dropped contador and menchov a couple times. that's why schleck lost more time on the descent, and no way he loses any of that if they go over together.

Most realistic views I've seen are that Vino SAW what was going on and sat up a bit; Contador was mid-attack with Menchov and Sanchez hot on his heels and had to make a snap judgement as to whether or not to sit up. I don't know the right answer.

vino was right behind schleck, and he saw what happened and pulled up. contador was even further back, 10 yards or so, so I don't believe for a second he didn't see that schleck had a mechanical issue. hell, by the time AC went by, schleck was already getting off his bike, AC saw that and attacked, pure and simple. watch the replays and it's as clear as can be. about 30 seconds into his attack, it seems like maybe he realized that wasn't very cool, and he let up and sanchez and menchov caught him. and at that point, it was almost like all 3 of them just said, well, let's put the hammer down.

it was kind of gutless of all 3 of them, but contador is the one who gets the yellow jersey out of it, and the one who is supposed to be the new "patron".

But Pelkey over at Velonews said it sure will make the next two days more interesting, won't it?

oh hell yeah. tomorrow is interesting, but wednesday will be the real showdown. no hiding on that one.

tomorrow....just a gut feeling here, but if lance has any "moment" left in his TDF career, tomorrow would be a great day for it. the only day left, really. maybe the big teams would let him get away in an early break?

tomorrow....just a gut feeling here, but if lance has any "moment" left in his TDF career, tomorrow would be a great day for it. the only day left, really. maybe the big teams would let him get away in an early break?

exactly what has happened. chances of a stage win here are decent, though he is in a group of about 8 chasing a solo breakaway they will probably catch. he's got a teammate (horner) with him. should be an interesting finish...

Man, those crowds on the Tourmalet were ri-f*cking-diculous.

Unfortunately Versus didn't show the tri-Borat attack that was mentioned on the live update.

Unfortunately Versus didn't show the tri-Borat attack that was mentioned on the live update.

I saw them briefly on whatever live eurofeed I was watching this morning (I think it was in italian?).

schleck made a valiant effort today, but AC was able to hold his wheel. have to wonder if it might have been different if schleck was still in yellow, and he was just sticking on AC's wheel the whole way up....maybe he could have dislodged him with an attack. or if his brother frank was still in the race. I think next year andy schleck wins the race.

I saw them briefly on whatever live eurofeed I was watching this morning (I think it was in italian?).

schleck made a valiant effort today, but AC was able to hold his wheel. have to wonder if it might have been different if schleck was still in yellow, and he was just sticking on AC's wheel the whole way up....maybe he could have dislodged him with an attack. or if his brother frank was still in the race. I think next year andy schleck wins the race.

Contador vs Schleck looks like it's going to be a lot of fun to watch, that's for sure.

Schleck has looked stronger than Contador all race, but IMO has been too cautious/conservative in attacking.

But who knows, maybe Schleck rides the time trial of his life while Contador has 5 flats.

Here's what I don't get. So, remember when the psycho German dude ran on the tennis court and stabbed Monica Seles so Steffi Graf would be the #1 player again? I can't, for the life of me, believe that some whack job hasn't just gone and tackled one of these dudes in some "heroic" gesture so his countryman would win instead. I mean, it would be so damned easy. Far easier than rushing onto a tennis court with a knife.

Every time I watch those stages where dudes are just squeezing their way through the crowds, I always wonder if one among them is a nut case that would pull such a stunt.

Every time I watch those stages where dudes are just squeezing their way through the crowds, I always wonder if one among them is a nut case that would pull such a stunt.

How close fans can get to the riders in cycling is mind-boggling....imagine LITERALLY being in the huddle with Peyton Manning during an AFC championship game.

I'm with ya, det - I REALLY am surprised that the only notable incident I can recall is the guy punching Merckx way back when. Most other instances of fan interference taking down riders have really been accidents.

Here's what I don't get. So, remember when the psycho German dude ran on the tennis court and stabbed Monica Seles so Steffi Graf would be the #1 player again? I can't, for the life of me, believe that some whack job hasn't just gone and tackled one of these dudes in some "heroic" gesture so his countryman would win instead. I mean, it would be so damned easy. Far easier than rushing onto a tennis court with a knife.

I was half expecting someone to stick a broomstick in contador's front spokes today, after the rather poor sportsmanship he showed the other day. the fact that that stuff never happens is a tribute to the sport and its fans, I think.

Interesting, Contador has just won the tour by the exact margin he beat Andy by on the infamous attack.

yeah, nice. and it would have been a whole different race both today and on the tourmalet if schleck had an advantage and not contador. on the tourmalet, schleck pulled AC up the whole friggin climb....if it was the other way around, schleck has a lot better opportunity to attack and gain time. and today, schleck went out balls the to the wall to try and put pressure on AC early, and it hurt him toward the end. if he has AC's time in front of him, whole other story.

so yeah, contador won this tour by attacking on a mechanical malfuntion.

What's your take on the RS "black jersey" flap?

Yeah, the officials were a bit tight-assed about it, but would it have been so hard for someone in the Radio Shack heirarchy to make a phone call and get a definite OK?

Yeah, the officials were a bit tight-assed about it, but would it have been so hard for someone in the Radio Shack heirarchy to make a phone call and get a definite OK?

Agree, I'd expect that a pre-race phone call would have eliminated any "flap" about the non-approved race livery, but ... maybe RS (read Lance) wanted a bit of a flap (if maybe not a delayed start) just for the resulting media exposure?

BTW, I was really hoping that Contador would break his bike & that it would take 40 seconds to fix/repair it, but no such luck ... the man has skills, no denying that, but that attack while AS was down with an equipment failure has left a bad taste, especially on the heels of Contador's apparent "me first, team second" attitude last year. Oh well.

The start of Sunday’s stage was held up while Armstrong and his teammates took off the black spamshirts with the number “28” on the back. The figure was selected to honor the 28 million people fighting cancer, the focus of the Texan’s Livestrong Foundation.

Maybe the "powers that be" thought Lance & his team were trying to get some free advertising for his foundation. IMO, it makes the Tour de France officials look like a bunch of DB's.

• 5 weeks later...

I figured I'd pop this one in here since it was the best chance that anyone who might actually find it remotely funny would see it. (Guess Chavez, maybe Opie or possibly Azz?). Even then, chances are slim.

It's like the Chuck Norris-ism for cycling fans. Every time you go to the website, it puts a different one up.